Europe Phasing Out Nuclear Power

by Satanus 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

There is an article at http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_30-1-2003_pg3_2

Belgium is the latest european country that has decided to phase out nuclear reactors.

The others are Germany, Spain, Sweden and the Netherlands. Seven other countries Austria, Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg and Portugal have either abandoned nuclear power or never established programmes.

The remaining european countries that have faith in it are france, britain and finland. Finland has a special reason for using it, as it doesn't want to rely on russia for electricity. Alternately, finland has a lot of wind powered generators.

The main reasons for denuclearisation are the risks of accidents, and the problems and costs of longterm storage of wastes. They need to keep it somewhere safe for tens of thousands of yrs.

Let's hope north america realises the dangers as well, and puts its efforts into alternate energy sources. Was that a plug for alt energy?

SS

• Realist
    Realist

saint,

the fear of nuclear energy is largly unfounded. less people have died from nuclear accidents than from mining for coal.

alternative energies are unreliable (wind/ sun) and are very costly.

PS: i still hope nuclear fusion will work in a few decades! :-))

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The waste it produces is the aspect that worries me the most. Nasty stuff!!

• greven
    greven

Dan,

Indeed the problem is not the energy. The energy is quite clean, the problem lies in the fact that we do not know what to do with the waste which is pretty nasty stuff. If the waste problem can be solved it is quite a good energysource...

Greven.

• Realist
    Realist

the waste is nasty...but if you burry it somewhere in the dessert who cares?

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

We could always store the nuclear waste in Iraq.

• mike047
    mike047

Real; Your desert or mine???

Mike

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I feel that wind power is the energy choice of the future.

Wind is very flexible. Wind can be used to generate electricity, it can be passed and it can be broken.

*****RubaDub

• Satanus
    Satanus

Rubadub

Windpower, yah. Almost everyone has it. Yet they just let it pass. Time to harness it!

Other guys

Yes, waste storage is the main problem. Having to store it for 20 or 30,000 yrs, if we keep using it, the volume is really gonna build up. That raises the cost as well. Even if they did find a way to process the waste, it would still cost a lot.

I think we need a new energy source, like fusion, or casimir, or something else. Supposedly the matter is just organised energy, and the vacuum of space (or anywhere) has lots of energy. We need a new way to extract it.

My opinions SS

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I say harness the ocean currents/tides and waves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit