Hysterically tragic - the west stuffs up in Syria

by fulltimestudent 38 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Perry: They did that for years for the people of Iran. When the US troops left, their US trained/supplied army fled like girls when faced with battle.

I think you may have confused Iran with Iraq.

The US Army has not been recently involved in training Iranian troops, at least not since the Shah (who had regained the throne after a MI5/CIA organised coup overthrew the elected government of Dr Mossadegh) was expelled for the second time.

It is interesting though (in the whole confusing picture), that when Saddam Hussein was America's bumboy in the Middle East he fought a war with Iran, in which he was a proxy for the USA, and received military information and technical assistance from the US.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Simon: As long as religious leaders can point out that other countries have more of what the people need to sustain life they will be able to manipulate their politicians and radicalize individuals to fight and bomb and attack the west. It is in our interest to make sure all our neighbours have enough to sustain life, only then will we be safe.

As is true of the skirmish-prone middle-Eastern countries, as well as tribal-warfare-plagued countries such as the Sudan in Africa, things would be so much better for them if they would just stop with all this ridiculousl fighting.

Now, I know that sounds extremely simplistic and perhaps somewhat infantile, but when you think of it, it is physically within the power of such countries to make things so much better for their own citizens. But, of course, the seemingly core defects of human character expressed in such banal warfare – i.e., pride, greed, fear – have a continually ever-present ascendancy in human relations.

However, when all is said and done, all these refugee crisis situations – as well as the famine situations – are really all preventable occurrences – just like, say, lung cancer from smoking or traffic deaths from drunk driving or heart failure from extreme obesity are all . . . well . . . preventable occurrences. My point is that if all this totally illogical and self-defeatist behaviour was removed from the picture in these hot-spot countries – namely Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Jordan, Yemen, etc. – then they themselves could focus on having enough to sustain life, and subsequently would not be in need of accommodation for their current refugee crises.

If I were to approach someone on the street asking for some change to buy a bowl of soup for lunch and I was acutely reeking of alcohol, then that person could rightly note that were I to properly deal with my alcoholism, then I wouldn’t need to be requesting the change required to eat in the very first place!

So, if the so-called leaders of these countries would simply do their jobs and work in the best interests of their own citizens – including the fostering of economic prosperity (which, remember, is physically within their locus of control) – then, technically speaking, the number of refugees would amount to a big, fat ZERO.

• Village Idiot
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Xanthippe I agree with what you say for the most part. But a comfortable life definitely does not guarantee a break from ideology. Among the best of modern society destructive idelogies still flourish, that is clearly evident. Saudi Arabi is a wealthy country with an amazing social infrastructure yet it is the world stronghold for wahhabism. In France Muslims riot over a cartoon and still committ murder in the name of Allah, in the US Christian nut jobs bomb abortion clinics. If we were simply talking about crime or humans harmimg each other for the sake of survival, that would be a different matter entirely.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

VI:

Putin has been looking to challenge the US for a long time and this development in Syria was inevitable. A precarious situation indeed.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

SAHS, I don't know who 'Simon' is whom you are addressing but the words you're quoting are mine. Frankly if you can't even get that right I can't see the point of discourse with you on international politics.

SSC fair point, in France some Muslims have caused trouble. In my nearest city, Leicester UK, the population is more than 50% non white, with Brits now in the minority. There are many Muslims in this city and I have only ever seen one peaceful demonstration, about Palestine.

In my university town I deal with many Muslim and Hindu members of the public and only once was there any racial trouble. An argument broke out between two men, members of different Hindu castes. I think we have both agreed this is a complex situation and simplistic solutions will not fit the bill.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

One thing's for sure until all humans have enough to eat and no longer have to watch their children die from hunger and easily curable illnesses, none of us are safe. As long as religious leaders can point out that other countries have more of what the people need to sustain life they will be able to manipulate their politicians and radicalize individuals to fight and bomb and attack the west. It is in our interest to make sure all our neighbours have enough to sustain life, only then will we be safe. - But the stated aim of all Islamist groups is the resurrection of the Caliphate. ISIS already have theirs; for AQ, Taliban and Al-Shabaab it's further down the road. If the West somehow managed to cure starvation and disease, Islamists would still be trying to bring back a Caliphate.

if the Muslim world is one BIG BROTHERHOOD, where are all the Muslim Relief Agencies? how difficult would it be for a Syrian to get to Egypt or Malaysia or Morocco or Saudi Arabia or Indonesia to build a new life? - exactly. This Ummah is a brotherhood of convenience.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Xanthippe:
    I think we have both agreed this is a complex situation and simplistic solutions will not fit the bill.

Absolutely. My hope is wide spread access to technology will eventually allow for better communication and understanding of facts which will slowly but surely corrode away idelogies, expose corruption and hold politicians hostage with knowledge.

• SAHS
    SAHS

To: Xanthippe/Simon:

Oh, damn it. I’m sorry for my error in getting the two of you mixed up in my post. Actually, I made my post at a bar after partaking of some bubbly, and the avatars for both of you seemed somewhat similar in the type of scenery and colours. Please consider this my formal apology. I’m usually very meticulous to detail, but I must have gotten careless from my said partaking. Again, sorry for my mixup.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit