True believers never save their money

by stillin 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    My father left a good job became a lawn clipper. Died destitute, homeless living with his mother in law and he hated her. Also his death was caused by bad Healthcare which he would not of had, had he stayed working for the major corporation. He would also had a pention a 401k and life insurance. But no none of those being a lawn clipper.
  • Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

During the financial crisis the PO in my congo made light of the media's portrayal of brokers holding their heads in disbelief off of the trading room floors, going so far as to imitate their postures from the platform. Back then I had put my trust in a local well known investment firm for my privately built up retirement fund with the belief that they would handle my investment account better than I ever could thereby freeing me up to better run my business and have more time for the twoof. At least that was the idea but boy was I ever wrong : took a 40% hit, went into severe depression on account of my stupidity for putting my trust in others and not thinking for myself and being better informed. Life lesson that took me years to recover from. They say your first investment loss is usually your best to learn from, is so true. Actually I think it's a Jesse Livermore quote.

When that elder gave his parts with the head holding mimic saying that JW's were not so dumb as to invest and were protected it drew nodding heads from nearly the whole congregation, even the union types that have managed accounts. Well I knew then and there that I had been fooled and also drew very little sympathy from anyone on my losses. I also found out that money is often a very emotional subject with people made even more so amongst JW's where everyone in the hall knows about each other's assets in jealousy and envy. I heard through the grapevine that I had become fodder for gossip as well. Never went back to that hall after that embarrassing little scenario in my life..

• stillin
    stillin

Introvert, nothing to be embarrassed about. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Trying and losing is still better than never trying. I have managed my own stock investments and you win some , you lose some. Not a bad average though. My personal picks have out performed the average market gains.

Nope, the real losers are the ones who never try.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Stillin, yes you are right I have become sort of a gold bug and am now better than where I was before the loss. I must say I got out a month before the tech crash so that was a good move there. I sold Visa too quick though and watched it go up and up and up. So I kinda learnt going both ways. You're also right it can never be all green, I mentioned Jesse Livermore above, even he lost it all. Best is to be reasonable and avoid unhealthy greed.

BTW good post bro thanks.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Introvert. If you had made millions then they would have made fun of that too. It doesn't matter if you win or loose, they will judge you. You're damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.

In life, you win some and loose some. Most millionaires loose along the way. It keeps you humble! Be glad you are out!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is a cult that considers saving for the future, especially retirement, a lack of faith.

Shame on them.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

INTROVERT 2:

I know what you mean about everybody in the hall knowing about everybody's assets and the jealousy and envy!

In my earlier years in the religion, I made the mistake of having my taxes done by somebody in the hall.

I was naive in those days and didn't know the extent of the gossip. Gossip is one thing, but ill will and envy is another thing entirely. And, I have to say, there are some very envious individuals in the JW religion.

I didn't realize it until later on that the attitude I picked up (like I "owed" somebody something) might have been from this person's indiscretion with telling personal business. Mind you, my income was nothing special as far as I was concerned. And I was viewed negatively because of my full-time job and considered "not spiritual".

I feel sorry for anybody who listened to the religion's garbage and is suffering today!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

True believers never save their money

I think it can depend on how you define 'true believers'. I think my father was a true believer as a JW.

He served as an elder and raised his family in the truth etc. However he did save money. He was frugal. He also was not a person to do overtime at work unless he felt he had to help out. He gave up employment on two occasions because it conflicted with the meeting times. He also turned down a good job opportunity as it meant travelling and he felt he needed to be their for the family particularly for there spiritual well being. He also downsized. Took less so he could devote more time to the ministry.

Since one local elder proudly told me that he never saved a nickel until just before his retirement,

I maybe wrong but I think the anointed JW got their commission in 1919 and in 1920 were preaching millions now living will never die.

My parents believed that they would never grow old and die based on the teaching that the generation that saw the events of 1914 would not pass away before the end came although they accepted the truth in the late 50's. i understand.

and so he wasnt tooo concerned about his pension and didn't have a pension, as it would have shown a lack of faith. (he died in his 80's)

So. True believers never save their money i don't think i would agree with this statement.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    I can attest to that. My mom refused to save on the basis of Armageddon being "just around the corner". What made it worse was the fact we were dirt poor (i got my first pair of new shoes when I was twelve) but my mom was always too happy to donate to the KH. How my dad put up with her nonsense is beyond me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit