WHAT DID YOU MISS OUT ON WHEN IN THE BORG

by nightwarrior 21 Replies latest jw friends

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

since we were the only ones in the borg, we missed out on family gatherings, the Thanksgivings, Christmas's, birthdays. when we did get together during the summer, I always felt I couldn't be too close to them, so conversation was limited because after all We were the only ones who would survive this system. Sheesh, how arrogant.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Where does one start?

For me, I didn't get to participate in school football, which I would have done very well. Having normal friend relationships, regardless of their religion. Another, and maybe most important, was the ban on dating. To be in high school, and have the crushes, having the chance to get different personality types. Our hall was very extreme, in that there was no dating tolorated. When you were of age, (at least 18) if you dated, it was with one person only, and the complete sole reason is for marriage. You had better have marriage in mind, or you were not to date. In my hall, every person I can think of that started dating, eventually got married to each other. You would be severely counciled if you were to date one and then someone else. So people felt trapped, "well I have been dating so and so, so I better get married or their gonna start talking." I dated a girl, and from the get go it was marriage oriented. I was 18. I was even pulled into the back room, and told that marriage better be my goal. If, at that point, since I had been dating for awhile, I decided to pull out, they told me I would have to go in front of a judicial commitee because I broke it off. Got married, not because I loved her, but it was expected. Marriage to her was the most miserable time of my life. Had I been able to date a few people over time, I would have realized that there are great differences in personalities, and been able to make a wiser choice.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

A legal career.I was being primed with a legal firm. Left it for the ministry,gave my all to the society,never missed a beat.Who knows where it could of led to. Blueblades

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

What I missed out on the most after becoming a JW was walking my oldest daughter down the aisle at her wedding. According to one elder, the one I studied with, I shouldn't have even gone to the wedding. Of course, walking her down the aisle was considered disrespectful to Jehovah as I would be participating in a religious ceremony held in a chapel and officiated by a preacher of another religion. Like a brain dead idiot, I went along.

Afterwards, another elder told me it was strictly a conscious matter. I will forever kick myself for that and cannot forgive the first elder for his staunch view. So much for dubs "pure language." I am glad that I at least went to the wedding.

I was still a JW when my younger daughter married and was inactive. by then, I said screw the JWs and did walk her down the aisle. My oldest daughter and I had discussed this and she has no hard feelings, never did. She is happy to have Dad back and free from the clutches of that miserable excuse for a religion.

Lew W

• Soledad
    Soledad

I most missed the family gatherings and making friends. my view of non-JW people in general was so distorted it was difficult to make friends. I think I still am affected by that thinking in some form today.

I also missed planning for the future and getting a good education, but Im working on that now.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I missed learning the ability of making friends since I didn't have it growing up I could have at least learned it in my early 20's but I was treated so bad I just never learned and now I'm too jaded to try to pursue friends.

I missed of course going to college earlier but my real pet peeve is I would have had more children but the dub's were so intent on the end coming and making us feel foolish for wanting more, I couldn't make Thunder understand they didn't have any say in it.

• Grunt
    Grunt

In a nutshell THE TRUTH. Instead I was sold a pack of lies which was called THE TRUTH. I am only grateful that I finally saw through it and extricated myself from it. My greatest sadness is that my parents will die believing the lie and that my daughter has sold her parents for the lie. I guess everything has consequences. I went door to door telling innocent people the crap and drug home into my own nest where my family was infected with it. If I could change one thing in my life it would be ever becoming affiliated with the cult know as Jehovah's Witnesses. It was a poison seed which has brought a full harvest.

Grunt

• AnotherEscapee
    AnotherEscapee

I missed out on being me! I really wasn't cut out for boring clothes and no fun.

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

I missed out on knowing god personally. I mean really having him as my best friend. I wasted so much time learning all about Him... but I never knew Him personally. What a big difference. I think that is what makes me the saddest. I was nothing more than a legalistic pharisee.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Sex, Friends, Sex, Sports, Sex, Concerts, Sex, Sports Car, Sex, Having a Beard, Sex, School, Sex, Holidays, Sex, getting together with non-jw family, Sex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit