WHAT DID YOU MISS OUT ON WHEN IN THE BORG

by nightwarrior 21 Replies latest jw friends

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

We as a family allways wanted a family pet as in (dog ) but as the ministry loomed every weekend ,as well as the meetings we decided that it would be to much trouble ,subconciously the influence came from other members in the congregation ,which in turn came from the elders in turn from the bethel ,allways sprouting on about the ministry first ,you never had time for anything elsemow ,yes a dog would be to much trouble,but now,for the past two /half years my younger children are enjoying the companionship of an animal in the house,as well as 2 cats which we have had for past eight years,

DID YOU FIND TIME FOR ANIMALS.

What did you miss out on ,allso for past 14 years we have had different caravans and motor homes ,

What did you miss out on when in the borg ,and how did it affect you.

• shera
    shera

A good education.

How it effected me,not a good enough job.

Now I'm studing for teacher's aide from home,but I'm not sure that will get me a job.Oh well,better than nothing.

Edited by - shera on 26 January 2003 9:59:21

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Sex.

• gumby
    gumby

I missed out on sports. I could have done well in track as a pole vaulter but could not participate.

I could have went to college but couldn't. I missed out on planning for the future as I believed there was no future. I missed out on association with nice people I could have had ....but did not......because they were "worldly".

I missed out on treating my father differently , as my mother had us thinking he was demonized for many years because he was not a dub nor fond of them.

I suppose if a person thought about this question long enough.......the list would be endless.

BTW....nice topic.....thanks

Gumby

Edited by - Gumby on 26 January 2003 10:3:43

• Mary
    Mary

Sex, goals, friends and a life.

• neyank
    neyank

Shouldn't the question be:

What didn't we miss out on when in the BORG.?

neyank

• aarque
    aarque

Higher education. If I had gone to school at a much younger age, my career situation probably would be much different right now. I always dreamed that someday I would go to college and that became a reality in 1987 after undergoing a lumpectomy. That surgery scared me into realizing how short life really is. So, I started taking classes at the local community college part-time while working full time. It took nine years to finish ( I had four surgeries during this time period) but I graduated in 1996 and went on to the university to get a BA . I graduated magna cum laude in 2001---it took 14 years of hard work, but I did it. Hearing my name called and walking across that stage to the cheers of my family is a moment I will never forget. I couldn't have done it without them.

• Francois
    Francois

I wasn't that good a witness when I was a witness, so I didin't really miss out on too much. One foot in and one foot out, that was me. So I did go to college and I did graduate. I freely let women, um, have their way with me as frequently as possible. I really can't think of much I missed. And when you think about it, if you're an elder in today's JWs, you don't miss out on much either. You can have all the sexual variety you like via all the defensless little girls in the congregation and the leadership will protect you, too.

But even at that, I still missed some opportunities because I was a JW. Without going into the painful details, I can say that I lost the love of my life because of my association with JWs. And it wasn't a matter of being a JW and so she left. It had to do with the consequences of being a JW. And so I lost her. That was 25 years ago, and still I grieve.

francois

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

A lot! But most outstandingly, a possible career in recording and entertainment. In 1958, before I turned sixteen years old, I was offered a recording contract and management deal with Decca Records. I even recorded one single for Decca and had started doing shows with some of the major country and rock artists of the time. It didn't take long for "the brothers" to pounce on me and convince me that all that "worldly association" had me headed down the road destruction at Armageddon, which of course was right around the corner! As much as I loved performing, I was also very devoted to "the truth" and really wanted to do what was right. I listened to their advice and backed away. Had I continued, who knows what might have happened? I certainly may have fallen flat on my face! But in retrospect, it would be nice to be able to say, at least I gave it a shot.

Hind-sight and experience! They're such great teachers, but you never have either until right after you need them!

• Mulan
    Mulan

The thing I regret the most is not allowing our eldest three children to go to college. They are all very bright, highly intelligent actually, and could have done more with their lives.

Also, our second son is especially gifted in sports, 6'5", and could have done very well, and possibly gotten an athletic scholarship. He was certainly pursued by coaches at school. He should have been able to be in little league, and pursue his dreams.

For myself, I don't feel many regrets about my upbringing. It was during a time when the WTS was less strict about kids at school. I did lots of things, participated in anything I wanted to, and dated all the time. Our whole family (almost all of it) were witnesses and we were a very close family, and did a lot together every week. (parents, brother, cousins, grandparents, aunt, uncle, etc.). We took two 6 week, cross country trips in 1953 and 1958, to go to the New York conventions. (I was 7 and 12) Those were great trips............very educational and fun.............two carloads of the family, camping and staying in motels, and visiting historical points of interest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit