Terrific movie monologue from "Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri'

by Captain Schmideo2 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Brilliant film, saw it on Saturday. Very bleak but excellent acting. I noticed that speech too.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Regarding culpability:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/125673/church-members-responsible-awake-8-8-87-pp-10-11 [edited to correct: 9-8-87]

g87 9/8pp.10-11 Future Prospects for Protestantism—And for You!***

If Your Church Fails to Act, Will You?

If, after making an honest investigation, you are less than pleased with what you see, do more than just complain. A journalist, while commenting on Karl Barth’s statement that a church is its members, logically concluded: "Church members . . . are responsible for what the church says and does." So ask yourself: Am I willing to share responsibility for everything my church says and does? Can I really be proud of having all its members as spiritual brothers? [bold added]

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

compound complex: Snap!

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Yes that was good cc. Need to remember that for the next discussion with the wife. She is serving JHVH so it doesn't bother her what others who call themselves JW's are doing. Copying now to my JW quote folder.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Bought the movie last night as it won several Awards.

Great acting.

Mediocre story line.

Should have waited until it was free on Netflix.

• jp1692
    jp1692

The ending was ... odd ...

• compound complex
    compound complex

The ending was ... odd ... -- jp1692

So when Dixon’s violence is turned toward ends that match Mildred’s, it read as a redemption arc for some. Dixon overhears a man bragging about sexual assault and, convinced that he’s Mildred’s daughter’s rapist, leaps into action. It turns out the man isn’t the rapist, but Mildred and Dixon, reasoning that he clearly raped somebody, set out somewhat ruefully to kill him anyhow. (It isn’t clear, from the end of the movie, whether they follow through on that plan.) [bold added]

And that’s where the film leaves us. That didn’t sit well with some critics, who saw it as a parry on the film’s part to redeem Dixon without asking him to do anything but the most basic work toward that redemption.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/19/16878018/three-billboards-controversy-racist-sam-rockwell-redemption-flannery-oconnor

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I thought it was a great movie and I love Frances Mcdormand though I hated her dress at the Oscars .

(It isn’t clear, from the end of the movie, whether they follow through on that plan.) [bold added]

Brilliant

That`s where your own imagination comes in

• jp1692
    jp1692

Without spoiling the ending, it just felt as if the two main characters, Mildred (McDormand) and Rockwell (Dixon), go in a direction that is so inconsistent with their characters moral arc that I found it jarringly unbelievable.

Also, the lack of resolution alone didn't bother me--I can deal with that because it's real and how life actually usually is. But it was frustrating BECAUSE of the sudden, jarring change in character development.

*** SPOILER ALERT *** SPOILER ALERT *** SPOILER ALERT *** SPOILER ALERT ***

It really didn't work for me that Dixon seemed to be redeeming himself and then he and Mildred go plan to kill someone that probably deserved it, but was absolutely NOT connected to the rape and death of Mildred's daughter. For similar reasons, I found it inconsistent that Mildred would suddenly become a vigilante a la Paul Kersey (Bronson) in "Death Wish."

Previously, her anger was justifiably directed at the unknown person that killed her daughter and then understandably projected it on the Police Department for failing to identify a suspect, let alone bring one to justice.

When she was verbally assaulted in her store (by the creep that Dixon later mistakenly thought to be the perp) she basically just stood there and took it in silent rage. For her to later decide to go all "Death Wish" on the guy and become a vigilante seemed inconsistent with her character and not particularly believable or satisfying.

*** SPOILER ALERT *** SPOILER ALERT *** SPOILER ALERT *** SPOILER ALERT ***

• compound complex
    compound complex

smiddy:

I hated the dress also!

jp:

I believe, in the link provided, the commentator mentioned a flawed story line, which is true. Other comments elsewhere indicate this is not a totally believable, reality-based story. Dixon and Mildred received no censure -- no punishment -- for their crimes. Your commentary and arguments are spot on.

What did you think of Dixon's mom? Her acting was so believable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit