Terrific movie monologue from "Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri'

by Captain Schmideo2 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Just watched this movie last night.

The premise of the title and film centers around the mother of young girl, who was raped, murdered, and set on fire by an unknown killer. Convinced that the local police could be doing more, she erects billboards outside of town, calling into question the efforts of the town's beloved Chief of Police. This does not sit well with the other townspeople, and soon, the town Priest comes to visit and admonish her.
    And after hearing him tell her if she came to church more regularly, she would be able to find the peace and resolution she needs over her daughter's death, she delivers this speech to him:

"Y'know what I was thinking about today? I was thinking 'bout those street gangs they had down in Los Angeles, those Crips and those Bloods? I was thinking about that buncha new laws they came up with, in the 1980's I think it was, to combat those street-gangs, those Crips and those Bloods. And, if I remember rightly, the gist of what those new laws were saying was if you join one of these gangs, and you're running with 'em, and down the block one night, unbeknownst to you, one of your fellow Crips, or your fellow Bloods, shoot up a place, or stab a guy, well then, even though you didn't know nothing about it, and even though you may've just been standing on a streetcorner minding your own business, what these new laws said was you're still culpable. You're still culpable, by the very act of joining those Crips, or those Bloods, in the first place.

Which got me thinking, Father, that whole type of situation is kinda like your Church boys, ain't it? You've got your colors, you've got your clubhouse, you're, for want of a better word, a gang. And if you're upstairs smoking a pipe and reading a bible while one of your fellow gang members is downstairs f-----g an altar boy then, Father, just like those Crips, and just like those Bloods, you're culpable. Cos you joined the gang, man. And I don't care if you never did s--t or you never saw s--t or you never heard s--t. You joined the gang. You're culpable. And when a person is culpable to altar-boy-f-----g, or any kinda boy-f-----g, I know you guys didn't really narrow that down, then they kinda forfeit the right to come into my house and say anything about me, or my life, or my daughter, or my billboards. So, why don't you just finish your tea there, Father, and get the f--- outta my kitchen."

I applauded that speech, and I hope I can remember it when the time comes to put a nosy elder in his place.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Excellent. The Watchtower gang includes every JW that makes up every world wide report each year. Even the sweetest most humble are culpable for the heinous crimes committed by the gangrenous monsters governing from the ivory towers of BetHell.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Brilliant!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Oh boy. Absolutely nailed the point on group culpability. Love it, thanks for sharing Cap.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

And thus Jehovah can justify killing over 7 billion people for being part of "Satan's system". Bullshit. Simply guilt by association is very broad and shows a lack of insight.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

Elders are culpable because of the two witness rule is right in their book.

Grandmas who do not know one bit of the truth about JWs are not culpable as they have been lied to their whole life. Now, if grandma found out the truth and kept being a JW, then she's guilty.

When you join the Bloods and the Crips you know you are joining a murderous gang.

I'm sure it gets a lot more complicated, but it would be a great speech for a nosy elder. Especially with p72 (?) (2-witness rule) incorporated in it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I am watching it right now!

Thanks!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Just finished.

McDormand and Rockwell deserved their Oscars.

It's not only the spoken word but also the unspoken -- seen in facial expressions and body language -- that make the consummate actor.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I thought it was a good movie. My only objection to the movie is how they portrayed people from Missouri. Every single character was a racist, backwoods, ignorant person. We're not ALL like that in Missouri!

• compound complex
    compound complex

We're not ALL like that in Missouri! -- Wild_Thing

I pioneered in Missouri in 1968 . . . Montrose, Deepwater, Clinton, . . .

It was quite different from California and New York. I loved it. We had to sit a spell and chat on the front porch before we got to the message.

Biggest vegetable garden imaginable in the summer. The veggies grew overnight. I learned that seven hills of squash was too much . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit