What were you like in high school?

by Aztec 46 Replies latest jw friends

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Francois,

Then I'd get to chemistry lab, make small amounts of chlorine gas, introduce it into the HVAC sysem, and empty the school for the rest of the day.

HILARIOUS! LOL

I was a JW, but led a double life at school. I smoked cigarettes a few times just for the experience of being cool like the other guys. I cussed and told dirty jokes just like the other kids. The school I went to was in the upper middle class/ upper class part of town, but they bussed in kids from all over so that there was a balance. As a result I hung out with all types of kids - the blacks, the "rednecks", the "hoods" and the "preppies." I had crushes on numerous hotties, but only 1 ever developed into a lunch time make out partner, which got me so worked up, my hunger for sex was killing me. (never had sex until years later though) I was at an awkward point of growing up and I had glasses, plus my dad cut my hair and made sure I didn't get a cool "worldly" hair cut like the rest of the kids.

"The bible says we shouldn't be a part of the world, so we don't want to look like them either. I figure a hair cut that doesn't imitate their worldly, gaudy lifestyle is the best hair cut a Christian can have. Do you think Jesus would have a fade?"

When I turned 18 my friend started cutting my hair and all got better. :-)

I was pretty smart but didn't apply myself because I wasn't going to college, so why waste my time trying to get a good SAT score. I had more fun talking to friends about the latest music, and at that time I was introduced to Metallica, Rush, Led Zeppelin, etc...so that stuff consumed my thoughts constantly. I played piano and drums but never did any of it for the school.

What sucked is when I'd run into classmates while out in service. Or they'd see me on a saturday afternoon at a corner store and ask why I was all dressed up. I'm black so I don't know if I was physically turning red or darker, but man was it embarrassing having to give them the whole "I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses...just out talking to people about the Bible.." - I had no choice cuz my dad would've killed me had I not said that.

Ughhhhhh!

So yeah, basically I was a sexually frustrated teenage JW nerd that led a double life. And I was always afraid another Witness girl at school would rat me out for cussing and making out w/ a girl, but even though I never saw her do anything wrong, she always smiled at me and never ratted me out!

:-)

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

9-10th grade I got bad grades, into fights, and was all around miserable. By the end of 10th grade I started to figure out that the only way I was happy was with academics. 11-12th I got good grades and was an editor for the yearbook staff. I had girls hitting on me but couldn't do anything about it because I was baptized. I even had one freshman girl following me around. She even went so far as to start kissing me in the hallway and put my hand up her shirt (I didn't exactly resist). But being the good dub I told her I couldn't see her anymore. I passed up on all kinds of great oppurtunities like that. Man I hate the JW's.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    plus my dad cut my hair and made sure I didn't get a cool "worldly" hair cut like the rest of the kids

Geez! I don't know what's worse, that or running into worldly friends while out in service??!! The PO of the last congregation I was in has a son the same age as mine and he use to cut his hair and make him dress like a nerd. It always rubbed him the wrong way that I allowed my son to have a somewhat modern haircut and dress in good clothes. Man, speaking from exp. you have my sympathies!

• moana
    moana

Very geeky:

Being a jw did not help me fit it anywhere. I had real real long hair so I could hide behind it and hope I would not be noticed for my culty behavior and wierd clothes.

I had a cow coat (probably very fasionable now) and when I wore it and walked down the hall the kids would moo at me. booo hoooo

• LB
    LB

Highschool wasn't bad for me. I was fairly well accepted. I did sports and was successful there. Also had a very nice car and even did the surfing scene. I think I was accepted by all the groups that were around. Had cute girlfriends including a cheerleader.

But for any kid highschool is still a time of great uncertainty. I wouldn't want to go back. Better years lay ahead.

It was the era post birth control and pre aids.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I was a geek and about as socially inept as you could imagine. Went through college oriented courses but didn't use them for another decade. I tried to ask a girl out once in my senior year but she wouldn't give me the time of day. My mom tried to get me to go to the senior prom but I didn't know any girls, even in the KH, who would go since they were JWs. Mom convinced me to ask my cousin, which was really stupid, but I was too stupid to realize it until I had made a fool of myself. Glad those days are over!

AlanF

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Edited by - Utopian_Raindrops on 30 January 2003 5:30:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit