What were you like in high school?

by Aztec 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec

I'm sick of talking about George Bush and Iraq and war so...

What were you like in high school?

I was an orchestra geek. I played violin and took all the math classes I could. Because I was still a dub I wasn't allowed to participate in sports or anything fun so I studied and got mostly A's. Yes, I was a dork!

~Aztec

• logical
    logical

everybody picked on me

• Soledad
    Soledad

in grades 9 and 10 I was rebellious, cursed out the teachers, got bad grades and cut class. I got suspended once in grade 9 for excessive cuts.

in grades 11 and 12 my grades improved, I cut less and didn't curse out anyone. even though I wasn't thinking about college, I was encouraged to go, and ended up going to a 2 year business school, then transferred to a 4 year state university, and now, 10 years later, working on my Masters.

• Marcos
    Marcos

Hey Aztec,

I was fascinated by gymnastics. I got on the team because track and field didnt suit me. I did fairly well as a gymnast. I experienced being popular for the first time in my life in school.

My parents were against it. The cong. was against it. I got counseled. I got harassed. My parents refused to attend my meets, which hurt because I usually placed well.

I became more rebellious and moved out of my parents house at 15. I had a ball! Went back to visit a few times but never moved back in.

School sports opened the door for me. I was a nice guy. I tried to tow the party line for another 8 years or so. But, could never really swallow it all even though I wanted to and tried really, really hard.

Marcos

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Oh lord, how do you expect me to remember that far back?

As were most, I was a geek too, I suppose. Cars held my main interest.

Lew W

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Good topic.

I was 'invisible' in High School. I would hang out in the Library, or other places where I could disappear. I read a lot, too (no, not JW publications). My ex-wife was at the school during the same years that I was there... and she said that she never saw me there. <grin>

I always carried books home - not necessarily because I had homework, but because I tended to get 'bored', and wanted to have something to read. Also, I took my 1st period books home, so I would not need to make a trip to my locker prior to going to first period.

I was a geek... nerd... dork... you name it, that was me. I even acquired several nicnames that other kids gave me.

No girlfriends - JW or otherwise. I wouldn't have known what to do if a girl was interested in me, either. (There were a couple interested in me... I just didn't realize it until much later.)

No joining of organizations at school was allowed - nor was band or sports allowed - as these would require extra-curricular activities - a no-no.

During P.E., I ran track. The coach allowed me to do that (thank God!), and I got pretty good at it. The reason I did that - I couldn't play any of the other sports worth a darn!

So - I pretty much stayed to myself - and rarely associated with anyone there - even JWs.

Pretty much a miserable time of my life.

Regards,

Jim TX

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I was personally a lot younger.

*****RubaDub

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Me I was the "girl with the hair" I had waist length auburn hair and that was how everyone classified me I had no clique I was friendly to everyone that deserved it and ignored those snotty ass people that were stuck on themselves. I had an ear to ear smile and laughed all the time. But I got close to NO one, see it was all just smoke and mirrors, me really happy LOL. My Dad screwed around all the time and two of my siblings were irresponsilbe druggies and moved in when ever they could. My Mother did NOTHING but watch TV clean house and eat valium so I lived in my fantasy world. I had people call me all the time for advice, why I have no idea but the "in" crowd who never spoke to me would call and talk to me and you know I never told anyone their secrets to me that was a sacred thing no matter what bitches or jerks they were on my phone they had sanctuary LOL

I felt I wasn't popular but really I shutdown if anyone tried to get close, it was safer that way. I never spent the night anywhere, I never partied I never had girlfriends over. That was my life

I was a skating queen though and I went whenver I could that was my entertainment and skating backwards jamming to the 70's music was the most liberating thing I had. And yes even at 39 I can still skate like I did at 14 LOL

PS I forgot to add that I weighed about 98 pounds all through school no one ever told me I was wayyyyyy too skinny and I forgot to add before everyone said I was the best dressed in my whole school I had it going on quite the clothes and shoes horse. Since my parents never let me do anything my Mom compensated by buying me clothes out the butt. LOL

Edited cause I can't spell today LOL

Edited by - SheilaM on 25 January 2003 12:45:34

Edited by - SheilaM on 25 January 2003 20:5:9

Edited by - SheilaM on 25 January 2003 23:30:23

Edited by - SheilaM on 25 January 2003 23:35:3

• Buster
    Buster

I was in all the AP classes but I was the class clown. First day of every class every year I got, "Mr. Smith, right here please" with a point to the chair closest to the teacher. But being a dubbie, I was so sure that this school thing was just something to look down at - because of course it would all be gone within a year or two.

I had to stay after school so often that one year my mother thought the late bus was the time I got home from school. She never did put together the fact that my sisters (same school) got home an hour before me. Some days, on the rare occasion that I didn't have detention, I would stay late anyway so as not to blow my cover.

At lunch and other breaks, I hung with the other dubbies (there was a bunch of us) and talked about motorcycles - we all had dirt bikes - besides, conversations couldn't get much deeper with them 'they of the remedial math class'.

• Xena
    Xena

I sat at the "smart kid" table..aka nerds....

I was socially inept (some things don't ever change do they?)..I wore glasses, was overweight and a JW. lol there really wasn't much hope for me was there? High School was a freakin nightmare and I was eternally glad to leave it.

Funny thing a few years later when I slimmed up and got contacts I ran into a football jock who made my life hell in school...he didn't recognize me....came over and started hittting on me....you can't imagine just how good it felt to shoot that a**hold down! aaahhhhh sweet memories

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit