Isn't it odd?

by troucul 12 Replies latest jw friends

• troucul
    troucul

Isn't it odd that after the Gulf War, George H.W. Bush promised a "kinder, gentler, U.S."? Nice to see his son follow in his footsteps...

I know what most supporters of the upcoming war are going to say, that 'the world changed after 9-11'...I don't believe that. I don't believe the world changed, just the American's perception. It's always been this violent. It's just that it finally made it's way here. Many people (especially Americans) get riled up about that. Just remember, the U.S. hasn't had a war on their soil in about 140 years. I know I'm gonna get slammed for this, but I tend to sympathize with many Europeans, who've known only war.

Oh, and the UN gave Iraq a 'B'...not bad, I'm a 'B' student myself...

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have never heard of a nation that gave away more than us, lent a helping hand to so many others. We are a kind nation. However, that doesn't mean we sit back and do nothing.

Here is an example. You have a parent. As a parent, you have a responsibility to train your child. At times, the child very well need a scolding, a punishment. Maybe the child has done something so wrong they need a swat on the butt. It is a parents resonsibility, to help them out, to reward them, watch them, dicipline them when needed. This is done out of love for the child. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. It is out of love that we set them straight. If the child reaches over to the hot stove, who among us wouldn't run, dive, over to the stove, save them, and wack their hand away? Oh my God, we slapped their hand? Are we bad? NO, we did it for their own good.

In some cases, children don't have parents, or they have ones that are lacking in the skills needed. They may have problems of their own, so then it is up to others to step in, and be that role model. This may be a big brother or big sister plan, or maybe other relatives that can step in and help out, or in extreme cases it may even be the court systems to lay out guidlines for the child.

Sometimes there are nations such as Iraq, that have gotten out of hand. They need to be diciplined. There are right ways to do things, and wrong ways. Torturing and poisoning your own people, threatening to blow up other countries with weapons of mass destruction are not a productive way to get along. Someone needs to stand up to them and slap their hand, make them behave. There are many countries that want to do that, but are not capable. So the US has no choice but to make a stand.

The right path, is not always the most popular.

• bigboi
    bigboi

We American generosity has seldom been selfless. Often the government bails out other countries when problems arise via natural disasters, economic crises etc....because they have a potential adverse effect on our own far-flung interests. For instance, some years ago when the Mexican economy was on the verge of collapse, Congress acted to shore it up via a multi-billion dollar aid package mainly to avert a potential mass wave of starving, out of work Mexicans that could have caused a big problem on our borders.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I think it is odd that people think there is something wrong with the US looking out for their own self interests. Is not that what we all do as individuals? We are concerned with our own self interest.

If my neighbors house is on fire, I would certainly want to help him put it out. Part of that motivation would be to keep it from spreading to my house. My self interest.

If my neighbor wants to turn his property into a junk yard of old cars and keep a hundred starving dogs, It lowers the value of my property and my enjoyment of my home. So I take action with the authorities or go to court to protect my self interest.

No country on this earth will ever, not look out for its self interests. Nor should they be expected to.

Outoftheorg

• Soledad
    Soledad
    For instance, some years ago when the Mexican economy was on the verge of collapse, Congress acted to shore it up via a multi-billion dollar aid package

with the Mexican national oil and petrochemical industry put up as collateral in order to receive this "aid".....

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

with the Mexican national oil and petrochemical industry put up as collateral in order to receive this "aid".....

Don't remember that happening Soledad, what is your source for this allegation ????

• bigboi
    bigboi
    think it is odd that people think there is something wrong with the US looking out for their own self interests. Is not that what we all do as individuals? We are concerned with our own self interest.

I agree Out. I was just mentioning this as a contrast to how most ppl show the US as some type of merciful benefactor, when in fact, many times when helping nations the US is only helping itself. I guess you can call it profit protecting by proxy. You're right there is nothing wrong with looking out for ones own interests.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Troucul,

You're wrong, the world, not just the US perception of it, changed after 9-11. Not only was it the largest terrorist attack on the US, but the largest terrorist attack in modern times. Yes, the US hasn't had a war in the Continental US for quite some time. Terrorism is even worse though. The whole world was changed by the enormity of the strike.

Oh, and the UN gave Iraq a 'B'...not bad, I'm a 'B' student myself...

No, the UN didn't give Iraq a "B". ONE Atomic Energy Agent said this in an off the cuff remark. The Facts reveal something entirely different. Iraqi scientists not being made available for interviews with the Arms Inspectors. Undeclared documents found in the homes of scientists. At least 29,000 warheads unaccounted for. The purchase of atomized aluminium powder (used uniquely for fueling these warheads) not reported. Over production of Cholorine not reported. etc etc ad infinitum. Iraq is not "cooperating" Iraq is in material breach.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Well it could very well have been loans. Aid is sometimes given in that form. I don't remember, exactly what all the details were but given the genral circumstances I think that what was given was probably aid.

• Soledad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit