Portions are way too big

by JH 30 Replies latest jw friends

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Copsec,

I have a real hard time believing you can buy the things you mentioned for $135 a months, that comes out to 1.50 per meal. The chicken alone would cost more than that. Are you in the USA?

Wife and I spend about $90-100 per week. That does include ice cream, chips, soda, some frozen dinners. If we really tightened up we could maybe go down to $60 per week, But NoAp would be one sad person.

• Simon
    Simon

I noticed in Burger King the other day that the only meal size options were something like:

Large
    Giant
    Supersize

Now, they may be the same physical sizes as

Small
    Medium
    Large

... and just a psychological / marketing ploy to make you think you only get 'a lot' (hey, we don't even have "small" on our menu!) but sometimes we only want small !

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Yes portions are way too large. I started only eating the serving size on items and feel great. There is no reason for anyone to eat a Supersize meal. You can cut that in half and feed 2 people. There is also no reason to stuff yourself. Your organs only have to work harder if you stuff yourself you should never have the feeling of being full. Food is norishment and we in America have turned it into a eating contest. When I get a plate of food at a restaurant I cut it in half sometimes even thirds eat it and put the rest in a box for later. You stomach shrinks and expands with the amount of food you allow yourself to eat. You can shirnk your stomach back to normal if you eat 3 (serving size portions ) meals a day and snack on veggies or fruit. Fruit will kill your craving for sugar believe it or not.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i always like to have large portions.

• LDH
    LDH

LMAO @ Mulan. "Here, Mom and Dad. Here's some leftovers you can have for dinner."

But I know what you mean. I went and got Chinese for lunch today. Fried rice, prawns, egg roll, and mixed vegetables for $5. I can eat on it for leftovers for two days.

Lisa

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

JH . . . . I had to laugh when I read your post! I have been saying that for years . . . about the portions being waaaay tooooo large in restaurants. After all . . . How's a gal to keep her youthful figure . . . and eat all what they put in front of ya!! Well, I figure they gotta justify those high prices . . . . so they slap an extra bit of this and an extra bit of that and supersize it, or whatever! It's a marketing strategy. . .

Now, I don't care anymore how much they wanna feed me . . . I figure I just don't have to eat it all! I take doggy bags home from a restaurant now . . . and make two or three meals outta it!! I feel real pleeeezed about that, thinking I'm getting a lot of value for my money now. . .two or three meals later!!! LOL!!

ESTEE

• minimus
    minimus

Are You referring to Spiritual Food?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

This will date me, but in the 60's, when I was a teenager, at McDonalds you could get a hamburger, fries and a coke for 37 cents, it was called The All American meal. Today, you can still get it for around $2.00, it's just not on the menu. Basically it's the happy meal without the toy. Just think, what they consider a child's meal today used to be an adult meal.

FYI... 37cent price breakdown .>>> Hamburger - 15 cents, Fries - 12 cents, coke - 10 cents

• SYN
    SYN

Generally eating out in Africa is supremely expensive, although it is slowly getting cheaper. But I find that McDonald's specifically is extremely rich - I went to a Pizza Hut once too, same story, their food is LOADED with refined fats & sugars, I can't eat more than a few bites before I start feeling nauseous, even though it is incredibly damn delicious food! Here you can live for a week and eat 3 hot meals a day on $20, including meat if you're that way inclined...

• copsec
    copsec

No Apologies,

Just try out an Aldi's if there is one in your area (yes, I live in the States, in Missouri) They don't seel name brand foods but it is good food nonetheless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit