Portions are way too big

by JH 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

It is beyond dispute that portions today are much larger than they were in the past.

SUPERSIZE this, MEGA MEAL this, or JUMBO SIZE that....

Obesity is a rising epidemic in the United States, with such an increasing percentage of the population (most frighteningly the teenagers and young children) being significantly overweight.

Many of you have made very good points.

One sad thing is that even though fast food meals are supersized they still end up being cheaper than going to the grocery and buying healthy food. Somehow this is wrong and unfortunate it isn't the other way round...and really bad for our health for sure.

It seems that portions are larger. Why blame companies for the overweight issue? Should the blame go to the person who is putting the food in his/her own mouth?

I agree that the regular portions are too big, but then add in that you can "super size" most fast food for just pennies more. People think they are getting a better bargain, when in actuality they are just doing their arteries and waistlines an injustice.

I agree with all of the above statements.

Obesity is certainly a health issue among many which must be addressed.

• JH
    JH

On top of that, we do exercise much less. The computer is a good example of lack of physical activity.

I think that children should be more often playing sports, than being on the computer.

• wednesday
    wednesday

$50 week for groceries? I live in dallas county, and i can't shop for 2 on that amount. The price of vegetables is high and lean meat is very high. Often we can eat at boston market, etc for less than $5 a meal. That is not bad. And someties the cafeterias , like Furrs, offer a meal for $5.

Yes, agree, portions are way too large. What else can they add to a hamburger to make it clog your arteries? cheese, bacon, mayo,??

Really, if u can feed a family of 5 for $ 5o a week, i would like to know your meal plans? Say a typical dinner?

Edited by - wednesday on 24 January 2003 14:52:48

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Don't worry, people. The food fascists, who know better than you do what you should eat and how much, will soon stop you from enjoying the value for money that is the modern restaurant portion:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm?ARTICLE_ID=101

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=1155

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=1433

• copsec
    copsec

I shop at a store called ALDI'S and I can feed my family of three (breakfast, lunches, dinner and snacks) on about $135 a month!!! They are a very cheap place to shop!!!

Also, to whoever wanted a sample menu as to what you can make so cheaply:

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, fried potatoes or biscuits

Lunch: A sandwich on a hoagie bun consisting of meat, cheese, onion, lettuce, tomato, pickle with a side salad or handful or chips, pretzels, etc. and a drink

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast, a side dish, salad or mixed veggies and a drink.

We eat like this most everyday for that cost!

Edited by - copsec on 24 January 2003 15:6:24

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Here's an interesting report on portion sizes:

http://www.nyu.edu/education/nutrition/PDFS/young-nestle.pdf

• Mary
    Mary

"...WitchChild said: It isn't actually cheaper to eat fast food than to go to the grocery and buy healthy food... what an idea...."

What planet are YOU on? It most certainly IS cheaper to buy fast food than nutritious food. I spent $36.00 the other day on bananas, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, grapes, whole wheat bagels and low fat frozen yogurt. You can certainly buy a hell of a lot more junk food with $36.00 than you can good food. Another example? McDonalds. Their salads (in Canada) run up to $5.99 for their low-fat California Salad. But on certain days of the week, you can buy a real fattening Big Mac or Extra Crunch Chicken Burger for about a quarter of the price.

This is a major obstacle in trying to lose weight. Even if you try your hardest; the price of fruits, vegetables and other decent food costs a hell of alot more than junk food. So the cost, combined with our basic desire for high fat foods, plus living in a society where we get no exercise, all equal overweight people. I'm a perfect example. I've managed to lose 40 lbs. but it's been damn hard, not to mention expensive.

If the prices of fresh fruits and veggies were lower, maybe people would be more apt to buy them, instead of fast food to snack on.

• larc
    larc

Yes, fast food is inexpensive, but so are some nutritious meals. We can get a good lunch at a chinese restaurant for less than a lunch at McDonalds.

• patio34
    patio34

My opinion is that portion sizes are too large. However, with reference to fast food, it's not so much the portion size as the content. Almost any amount of fast food is liable to lead to obesity because for the calories in it, a person would not be satisfied. Take the same quantity of food and change the quality and there wouldn't be a problem with obesity. Imo, it's not how much, but WHAT people are eating. It wouldn't matter if they ate a satisfying quantity of healthful food such as low-fat vegetables, soup, lean protein. Then a person would have satiety with a generous portion and not be fat. At MacDonald's, to eat a satisfying amount of the fatty food, you'd be taking in over 1000 calories.

The quality of the food is the critical factor.

Pat

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I live in Kansas City which was voted one of the fattest in America <go KC LOL> I get the weirdest look if I get a hamburger and no fries or coke. I have cut wayyyyyyyy back on pop and I rarely eat anything fried. But I do live but the adage if I am going to drink something bad for me it might as well taste good so no diet coke or crap, if I have to have one I have a small and that is it.

Thunder and I just got home from Rain Forest Cafe for my birthday lunch I am stuffed and have enougth doggie bags for all three of us to eat I mean that is nice but for those that scarf it all down it is horrible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit