Portions are way too big

by JH 30 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Portions are way too big.

Would you agree with me that portions that we eat are too big? Today on the news, they said that 1 canadian out of 3 is overweight.

I remember when a coke bottle was 6 oz. Today, the smallest bottle it is 2 or 3 times bigger. When I was young, a big mac was huge, today its only a couple of bites. We do get used to the amount that we eat, But our body doesnt.

We do eat a lot more than our parents did when they were our age. And we know who is in back of this. Companies just want to make more and more money with us, so they make huge portions.

Are portions too big today?

Edited by - jh on 24 January 2003 12:46:7

• JH
    JH

strike9.com

Edited by - jh on 25 January 2003 10:32:59

• Mulan
    Mulan

I agree. I have ordered a salad in a restaurant and it's enough for four or more people. Entrees are often the size I would make for the whole family (4).

One Chinese place I go for lunch sometimes, has such huge servings, I can take the leftovers home and it's enough for my parents for their dinner.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

If portions are getting bigger its because they sell better. Personally, I can't get an order of McD's french fries that is too big. mmm. fries. Besides, nobody says you have to eat it all. Take it home. Split an order. Order off the kids menu.

And yes, I could stand to lose a few pounds...

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

Yes portions are huge and it seems thats what people want, the best thing to do is like suggested,eat off the childrens menu, eat half ,take the other half home and have a meal for later.

people would be shocked at what a portion size really is. I've heard that in the European countries they can tell who is American just looking at them (the majority) get off the plane.

question then to the English and Aussies is? what are your portions like?

Edited by - imanaliento on 24 January 2003 13:12:39

• happyout
    happyout

I agree that the regular portions are too big, but then add in that you can "super size" most fast food for just pennies more. People think they are getting a better bargain, when in actuality they are just doing their arteries and waistlines an injustice.

No apologies - that's pretty much what I have started doing when I have fast food, but you can't do that when you are in a sit down restaurant. They will only let you order those meals for children. And as much as I love Mickey's french fries, I have stopped ordering them on a regular basis. My waistline likes me a little better now.

JH - the only way I know to change the color of the font is to type your message into another program (like Word), format the colors as you would like, then cut and paste it here J. If someone knows an easier way, please enlighten me.

• Valis
    Valis

One sad thing is that even though fast food meals are supersized they still end up being cheaper than going to the grocery and buying healthy food. Somehow this is wrong and unfortunate it isn't the other way round...and really bad for our health for sure.

On font colors...When you crete a new post or reply you can click the HTML button that is right next to the Design button in the lower left hand

In HTML mode you can surround your text with this code highlighted in red..and the font code is highlighted in yellow..

<p><font color="#FF00FF">Your text is here</font></p>

here is a good list of font colors and their corresponding codes.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colors.asp

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Magog
    Magog

It seems that portions are larger. Why blame companies for the overweight issue? Should the blame go to the person who is putting the food in his/her own mouth?

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

It isn't actually cheaper to eat fast food than to go to the grocery and buy healthy food... what an idea.

I get our groceries, for five people, for about $50/week. If we ate fast food it would be 3 times that easily!

~Witch

• Valis
    Valis
    get our groceries, for five people, for about $50/week.

um...and what planet do you live on?

Sincerely,

Distrit Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit