Are You In Support Of Starting A War In Iraq ?

by minimus 111 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

I just had to comment on the posts by some that increased oil prices would just be an inconvenience to them and they would "take the bus". Apparently they don't realize that many people would die without oil for heat in many countries if the price is prohibitive. Apparently they have forgotten that their city buses use oil as fuel. The cost will be transferred directly to us. The public transportation may even fail if oil/energy prices get too high. Fortunately the US and other first world countries have reserves for such emergencies, but your life will not only be minimally impacted by huge increases in oil prices. Right or wrong the entire world is dependent on oil - people's lives, not just their livelihood, depend on it.

That being said, I don't believe this situation in Iraq has as much to do with oil as many people make it out to be. Right now I'm paying $2.30 per gallon because of the Venezuelan situation and the US didn't occupy the country down there for my benefit. This has to do with the UN resolutions and Saddam's failure to abide by them for over a decade.

rem

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Gamelia,

While leveling a city full of civilians is a horrible thing I fail to see how it is a form of terrorism. Its part of WAR. If that is a form of terrorism then all Nations involved in the WWI and WWII are terrorist countries. If you look at the attrocities the Japanese military committed against Chinese, Phillipine, Korean, etc..etc. civilians I hardly feel bad for Hiroshima. The Japanese were very cruel. Then you have the Russians and Germans killing all the Civilians on the Eastern Front. War is Hell. While 200,000 civilians is a tough pill to swallow it ended the War. Now some people here on the board will argue that the war was already over and we nuked Japan to prove that we were a bunch of bad-asses. I have to disagree but that is neither here nor there.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

An invasion of the Japanese islands would have been a blood bath.

Stan

• minimus
    minimus

According to the Drudge Report, Pearl Harbor is on the hit list by Al Qaeda to bomb.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Whether targeting civilians to create "fear" (crazy151drinker's word, not mine) is not terrorism as long as it's wartime, I won't argue further. For me, it's pretty obvious why the US has so much trouble accepting any internationally proposed definition of terrorism.

But the US also needed to cover its tracks with the propaganda that "an invasion would have been a bloodbath." Problem is, we never got military leaders at the time to claim that, did we?

The following Republican, non-liberal, non-pacifists, "experts" on war voiced their beliefs even before the war ended. From what I can tell, and from what others have written about them, these following men considered the use of the atomic bomb to have been militarily unnecessary and morally repugnant based on the information available to them in the summer of 1945. After 1960 it was clever to say that the non-supporters "were smoking dope" to have these viewpoints. But what of the following:

". . . I told him I was against it on two counts. First, the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. Second, I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon."

President (and General) Eisenhower

The claim of "military necessity," he argued, rang hollow. Official justifications would "never erase from our minds the simple truth that we, of all civilized nations ... did not hesitate to employ the most destructive weapon of all times indiscriminately against men, women and children."

David Lawrence

"appalled and depressed by this Frankenstein monster."

General Douglas MacArthur

"The use of the atomic bomb, with its indiscriminate killing of women and children, revolts my soul."

President Herbert Hoover

Obviously there are web sites devoted to the proofs that Japan was ready to surrender, and I would say there is plenty of evidence they were, and no evidence that they weren't, but that's just my take.

I should add that I'm no expert on these things. I'm trusting a lot of what I've just started to read. I had no idea to what extent the United States has acted exactly like a terrorist organization until I began discussing these issues with my high school age son in the last couple years. I have found no definition of terrorism that gets the US off the hook for many of its actions in Central America, Asia, and now Iraq, although I agree that our currently accepted definitions of terrorism would get us off the hook for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

But still I'd agree with the following:

"The world has achieved brilliance without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants."

General Omar Bradley

Gamaliel

edited just to add that I have plaigarized a few of these quotes and statements from a couple websites very quickly without doing much to check any facts. It could be full of holes.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

dubla

yes, anything the FBI has to say is wasted on me. i couldnt trust them to tell me the time of day.

just because i asked you to prove those hijackers were on the plane doesnt make me believe SOME of them couldnt have been on there. funny how they were never on the airline's passenger lists though, maybe they were sneaked on after the boarding hey?

the 'official story' is a pile of crap and even world leaders publicly say as much

http://www.rense.com/general35/official911story.htm

• dubla
    dubla

pleasure-

just because i asked you to prove those hijackers were on the plane

no, actually what you asked me to prove is that the hijackers were terrorists, which i have. whether or not you believe anything the fbi says is really not important to me, but dna testing is a science, and to deny that is laugh in the face of undeniable proof. the dna testing proves the hijackers were in fact terrorists from the "joke" list.

funny how they were never on the airline's passenger lists though, maybe they were sneaked on after the boarding hey?

as i understand it, they indeed were on the passenger lists, as reported by the boston globe the week of the attacks...........you havent been reading those conspiracy theory websites that would have us believe the planes were remote controlled into the buildings, have you?

the 'official story' is a pile of crap and even world leaders publicly say as much

if the "world leaders" agreed that the story was a "pile of crap", then we wouldnt have recieved HALF of the support we have post 9/11 in the war on terrorism from leaders worldwide. just because you have an article that quotes nelson mandela and mubarak as seemingly buying into larouches (cough, cough, larouche?) conspiracy story doesnt mean that the "world leaders" disagree with the facts of 9/11.

now that you are using lyndon larouche to back up your theories, i think this is a good time to review some of his past quotes:

"The Beatles had no genuine musical talent, but were a product shaped according to British Psychological Warfare Division (Tavistock) specifications, and promoted in Britain by agencies which are controlled by British intelligence."

"Why Your Child Became A Drug Addict" Lyndon H. LaRouche, Jr., Campaigner Special Report, Copyright 1978

"History as it is taught in leading American universities today is a deliberate systematic fraud. History textbooks in our public schools, in particular insofar as they pertain to the American Revolution and the issues leading up to the Civil War, are total frauds."

Lyndon H. LaRouche, Jr., Radio broadcast, WGPR, Detroit, March 20, 1979

"Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) are among a handful of leading centers of fascist social engineering research and development throughout the post-war U.S. Other universities of comparable status include Columbia University, Cornell University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, University of Chicago, University of California at Berkeley, and Leland Stanford University."

"What Happened To Integration", Lyndon H. LaRouche, Jr., The Campaigner, August 1975

"So far, the world's leading experts see no way in which the Soviet biological-warfare apparatus could have created AIDS in a test- tube. However, it is in the strategic interests of Moscow to see to it that the West does nothing to stop this pandemic; within a few years, at the present rates, the spread of AIDS in Asia, Africa, Western Europe, and the Americas would permit Moscow to take over the world almost without firing a shot."

"The Lesson of the Merchant of Venice", Lyndon H. LaRouche, Jr., Executive Intelligence Review, November 1, 1985

"Who is pushing the world toward war? is the forces behind the World Wildlife Fund, the Club of Rome, and the heritage of H.G. Wells and the evil Bertrand Russell."

"An Open Letter to President Brezhnev", Lyndon H. LaRouche, Jr., Executive Intelligence Review, June 2, 1981

just a few to remind readers of larouches mental state.

aa

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Gamiliea,

I would suggest you drop McArthurs quote. If I remember correctly he wanted to Nuke China and at the very least invade China to open up a second front in the Korean War. Hardly a pacifist :)

As far as Eisenhower, he funded the Manhatten project in the first place and he had the final approval.

The Japanese ready to surrender??? Hardly. The Japanese did not surrender in any of the Island Hoppings and fought to the last man (and many commited suicide).

Either way. We were the first and I hope we are the last.

I think we are getting a little side tracked here................

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

YES and YES!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

GO USA and the 20 other nations that support this good fight!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit