The elderly sisters are at it again.

by John Aquila 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

My elderly mother and aunt evidently have quit making contributions, except for the literature they use. They think the $10,000/day for using the Assm Hall that is over 20 years old is ridiculous. "It would be cheaper to rent a banquet hall." They said the cost of the gas to drive to the Annual Meeting was all the "contribution" they gave.

Old folks that have struggled to save few buck through the years don't care for the opulent lifestyles of the rich & famous at World HQ and are hesitating to give their "mite" to those who don't need it and don't appreciate it.

Doc

• Munster Abu
    Munster Abu

A story that made me smile this evening.

Way to go. I'm glad these elderly ladies stuck up for themselves.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    DesirousOfChange
    My elderly mother and aunt evidently have quit making contributions, except for the literature they use.

That's actually how it starts. So that's a good sign. I call it piecework waking up. Keeping the paradise earth hope but discarding everything else. I'm seeing quit a bit of that. I talk to several older ones that have told me they don't believe Jah has appointed the elders, CO or even the GB, the generation overlapping is bogus, JWTV is like the worldly evangelists, and the new donation arrangement will not get their support. But paradise earth is still in the picture.

Steve2 I also like the line that begins, "I personally have no problem with [specify a teaching] but a householder asked me about it and I'm not sure I answered it properly".

That's a good one, and I've read many experiences where it works like magic.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Tuesday news paper: California study: 1 in 5 over 65 live in hidden poverty.

More than 772000 senior adults live in hidden poverty. Many of them unable

to afford basic needs but are ineligible for government help according to a

new UCLA study. Many of our older adults are forced to choose between eating,

taking their medications or paying rent. Maybe I should send this to the WT HQ,

you think they may show some love with their senior members and break off a few

bucks or pay the senior members a little something for spreading the word.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JOHN AQUILA:

I am glad these elderly sisters are finally waking up and getting wise to the game.

Of course the brothers want to schedule a call on somebody who is setting out food and drink!! I could have told them that! When the ladies indicated there were no goodies being served, the calls abruptly ceased and they were no longer on the favorite call list. How coincidental.

Regarding elderly giving money and property to any religion, I cannot help but wonder if these elderly women had a non-JW husband who worked for 40 years to provide them with a pension. I doubt they earned this money themselves. Easy come, easy go.

As somebody who worked full-time, I can say I would never do this. My non-JW family would never have given money to anybody other than family and certainly not some religion. I got the sense my father has no use for religion in general and I share his sentiments.

Perhaps, they wouldn't be so eager to give it to strangers and not their own children if they actually sweated for it and earned it. Just my opinion.

To me, this is tragic when somebody doesn't leave an inheritance to their own children!

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

LongHairGal

Regarding elderly giving money and property to any religion, I cannot help but wonder if these elderly women had a non-JW husband who worked for 40 years to provide them with a pension. I doubt they earned this money themselves. Easy come, easy go.

As somebody who worked full-time, I can say I would never do this.

You know, that is exactly right. In my case, my marriage was going on 30 years, my ex-wife who left because she felt I had turned into an apostate started giving away our savings to the WT while going through the divorce. She must off worked about 3 years out of 26. She pioneered the rest of the time. I supported her. It was tough seeing my savings go from about 1,000.000 to 900,000, then 800,000, then 700,000, then 600,000. When it was all over I was left with about 80,000.

She is still pioneering and will turn 60 in about 5 years. She had no concept of how hard and how long it takes to save a million dollars. Because all she’s done all her life is pioneer.

One of her family members told her to trust in Jehovah because he will provide her with a wealthy good-looking Spiritual Brother.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    A year ago or so I was in invited to one of these meals. Thinking back yes the meal was at a sister house that was either inactive or didn't go to the meetings much maybe just listened over the phone. There were others there pioneers etc. He the Co didn't really do any speaking of spiritual things while I was there mostly taking baseball, maybe after we all left he had a sit down talk with the sister who knows, but it all makes perfect sense now.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Oh, that's a hoot. I love it when the oldies sharpen their claws on the younger idiots who think they no longer think.........These oldies seem to have a hot line to god or whatever is there...They are infinitely smarter and irreverently.. witty..

Great and interesting post......

• Heaven
    Heaven

Love this story. Inside sedition... tres cool.

I found it quite interesting when my Father told me that "The CO is here to stir up trouble."

That doesn't sound like anything good in my opinion.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Crazyguy That's so true. Every time I visited some of these sisters with the CO, he never shared a scripture with her. The poor sister would just cater to his needs. Filling his drink, getting him more cookies, etc.
    Never realized this till now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit