"Crises of Conscience"

by Olivia Wilde 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde

I just finished reading Chapters 11-12 of Raymond Franz, Crises of Conscience & i must admit, I am pretty strong person, however the way Ed Dunlap & Ray Franz were treated left me crying, i had tears rolling done my eyes driving home from work on friday... & how Ed was kicked out by WT, left me feel soo disgusted & outraged.... it was very obvious he needed to stay at bethel because of his age & medical conditions but I admired he didn't compromise his conscious, it's sickening to me how cold & callous these men can treat a Christian after all his service.... & of course Ray Franz situation was no exception either, the witch hunt they did to get him out was, well, there's just isnt enough adjectives to describe their disgusting motives against him... he was 59 yrs old trying to make a honest living with his wife & for them to go after him was devious & demon like.... I'm soo grateful I came across this book & i wished I had much much sooner.... i know God will reward both Ed Dunlap & Franz plus many many more who have been unjustly & unchristian like treated during that time & this time, sooo sickening.....i still feel very much upset & emotional over the whole thing .... i never met any of them & then yet I feel deep christian love for them.....

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, it is so sadly eye-opening Olivia. And to think this happened almost 35 years ago and by far most Witnesses either don't know what happened at Headquarters or don't care.

How any so-called "loving" organization can treat its own this way is shocking.

Yet, if you look at the history of JW organization, it is nothing new:

It has happened to countless individuals before Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap and has happened countless times since. This kind of repeated mistreatment of others goes beyond human "imperfection" to the very core of the organization which is as corrupt as all the churches it criticizes.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    Matt 17:15-20:

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them."

Doc

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    I once read that someone ( a Bethelite ) addressed Nathan Knorr on a first name basis in front of a tour group and was sent packing for insubordination. How wonderful..
  • Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    I have to admit I moved from an English congregation to another language abt 8-10 years ago & i can assure you with all these "new light" changes have gotten lost in translation for me it wasn't that noticeable in a different language so I had to go back & read all of them in English to discover for myself all these "new light changes" it was eye opening to me to put one & 2 together, this prompted me reading this book... another thing I have notice since my awakening, i strongly believe that's why many who go to the eng are more aware of everything the WTBTS is doing & happening with major changes than in other language congregations, i notice they are more embracing & don't question it.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Olivia Wilde - "...another thing I have notice since my awakening, i strongly believe that's why many who go to the eng are more aware of everything the WTBTS is doing & happening with major changes than in other language congregations, i notice they are more embracing & don't question it."

Maybe try looking at it as an academic pursuit.

You have a front row seat watching the WTS have a nervous breakdown, a mid-life crisis, and flushing itself down the toilet...

...all at the same time.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    I read his book twice and shocked at what I was reading. The book explains why the culture of the organisation is so black and white in their dealings with people. Ray France described the Governing Body as an iron fist in a velvet glove particularly when it comes to enforcing their own rigid rules. Such a culture permeates through all the Congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses. That explains why so many individuals have been treated so harshly, particularly when a matter has been trivial! . I genuinly feel sorry for elders who sincerely want to shepherd the Congregation as sincere Christians, but MUST adhere to everything that emanates from the GB, instead of basing decisions SOLELY on Gods word.
  • pepperheart
    pepperheart
    Thats why i like to trash as many of the teaching books as i can because if i can save just one person going through the pain that the people above have been through then it will have been worth it and so may old old books that they are trying to give away i would feel ashamed if i was still on FS many piles of books that were printed in 2010 and even 2006
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Was it because you had tears in your eyes that you got the title of the book wrong?

• millie210
    millie210

Olivia, what you say about foreign language congregations is interesting.

My brother started to have problems with individuals in the Hall. I think he is smart enough that it would have lead to questions on a bigger level (like it did with me) but he hopped off to a foreign language Hall and immersed himself in a very intricate and complicated language and he keeps himself happy there in his little bubble.

At least for now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit