Damage control

by Gig 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

I could spend many of your minutes describing how helpful this forum has been for me, suffice it to say that it's the way things should be...offer an idea and everybody else have opportunity to put it on the table too, pro or con. My opinion is that JW's haven't realized (or have been denied) the benefits of such an appropriate arrangement that also provides the best method for discovery and growth.

My offering today is prompted by what I've found to be a recurring theme here...one that never fails to bother me. As many witnesses "get out", too often (for me) they along with now rejecting the WTS, reject many of the good things the WTS tried, however horribly, to represent. Namely christian behavior, religion as a whole, and even God himself. The WTS's all too common tactic is guilty by association, and as much merit as it has I am unaccepting of that platitude in this case. Just because the WT misrepresented so many things, it doesn't make those things then unacceptable.

My belief is this, if anyone studies the Bible and correctly applies what is taught, they are a better person...not only within themselves making life alot easier, but also to any others that they encounter. None of us, NONE know it all. Truly intelligent people will all likely tell you the same thing, the more you learn...the more you learn there is to learn. Whether physically, mentally, or spriritually, it never ends. So given that we're all under the same limitation, knowing that belief has nothing to do with truth and that the worst advice can be made to sound just as plausible as the best advice, go peacefully on. There will ALWAYS be greater and lesser than yourself.

So back to my point, I would ask all of those who have made the good things bad only because they had ANYTHING to do with the WT to reconsider. I hear objection to organized religion, fine, find yourself an independent Bible based place to fellowship and study. No doubt some of the good you've learned from the WT world is to verify what you are told...if they are going beyond what is written and making judgements, then they aren't the ones for you, but keep going. Start by eliminating the sectarian (we're saved and you're not) "religions" and various other self-righteous denominations and find those that have no headquarters and no centralized leadership other than the Bible.

I understand the pseudo-peace that comes from having figured it out, but real satisfaction comes from being unafraid to consistently put your views to the test of scrutiny. If you have the truth of the matter it can become the greatest preventative of reaching deeper understanding, a barrier called belief that allows us to only seek what we have already found.

Humility is happiness, not a disguise. Peace is a reward, not a vague description. Love is a gift and there is no limit. Knowledge is acquired easy enough but it's just information, apply knowledge correctly and it's called wisdom. Please don't disqualify the best things in life just because the WT taught you the wrong way to see them. The Bible describes a mature christian as one who, through consistent use, has developed the ability to determine right from wrong.

Gig, from the "just another friend of yours" class

• Brummie
    Brummie
    but real satisfaction comes from being unafraid to consistently put your views to the test of scrutiny.

Agreed!

Brummie

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

One of the most refreshing things for me is that when I'm now asked a Biblical question, I can actually take a moment, pause, and actually think about what is being asked instead of just "let me look that up in a bound volume so I can find out what I believe."

*****RubaDub

• truthseekers2
    truthseekers2

Thank you so much for this post, Gig. Hubby and I have been discussing this very thing, especially with our children. The good things we have been taught from the Bible do not just get tossed out the window because we are leaving the JWs. We still believe so many things the Bible teaches. Love, morality, accountability, etc. We surely dont plan on murdering, stealing, etc.!

However, we are personally still struggling with religion. We are even having a hard time knowing how to pray to God and are currently re-learning how to do that. Hubby says hell never be part of a religion, nor anything structured to study the Bible. A small part of me wants the fellowship, a huge part of me doesnt. We wouldnt even begin to know how to find a group that isnt a sectarian, self-righteous denomination.

My current goal is to pick up the Bible and begin reading it on my own. The KJV I believe is what Ill start with. (Did I say that out loud?! Hehe My horns and tail must be growing in nicely. Lol) After I do that and begin developing MY new relationship with my Heavenly Father, then I will see where my heart leads me. I will just even openly confess, I have had doubts in the existence of Almighty God lately. Its been a very scary, confusing, upsetting feeling and I need to work on finding my way through this.

Anyone else where I am today?

RubaDubI was writing this as you posted and I sooo appreciated your comment!!! Touche!!!

• borgfree
    borgfree

Hi Truthseekers2,

Anyone else where I am today?

I have been there. I have been out now for about 11years. I enjoy reading the bible all the way through each year. Radio Bible Class (RBC) has a booklet they will send you each month, it has a daily scriptural comment (something like daily text) and gives the scriptures to read each day to complete the bible in a year. This year I am using a bible my son gave me for Christmas, it has the sections for each day of the year.

I was very blessed in going to an ex-jw convention when I left the WT. I met a lot of wonderful ex-jws. I go to two or three conventions each year and always look forward to seeing those I consider real brothers and sisters.

I go to church sometimes, but do not feel God is angry with me if I do not go.

Borgfree

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

thanks for this post. I needed to hear that. I have rejected anything and everything remotely related to the jWs and religion in general. Sometimes it just isn't enough to be a good person I'm finding

• borgfree
    borgfree

Hi Gig,

I meant to comment to you on the post above. I agree with what you say in general.

Start by eliminating the sectarian (we're saved and you're not) "religions" and various other self-righteous denominations

I wonder if a person feeling sure that they are saved can be interpreted as self-righteousness? The bible says that if you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you are saved. First a person needs to know who Jesus is, not who the WT told us He is but who the bible says He is, then it is necessary to except the free gift of salvation from Him. That is all scriptural.

I have been to a lot of churches but I have met only a few who acted self-righteous. There are all kinds of people wherever you go.

Thanks for your post.

Borgfree

• acsot
    acsot

I'm going to play devil's advocate here (probably not as well as some are able to though ), but why are you settling for just the Bible? As has been mentioned in other posts, it's mostly a matter of geographic location which makes us "lean" towards Christianity or Buddhism or whatever. Now that we are "free", how about looking into other non-Christian religions? Right now I am sort of where you are at also, and have some Bible reading and Christian books I want to examine, but will probably intersperse that with Buddhism, philosophy (I'm intrigued by Aristotle), Native American beliefs and maybe some New Age. Why not? The sky's the limit!

Don't get me wrong - I do understand what you mean. I cannot fault the WTS for everything, and of course there was good along the way. We have to learn not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Cheers!

• truthseekers2
    truthseekers2

acsot...Can't believe I didn't address that myself! I find myself thinking and feeling the same way you do. Now if I only had time to do all this reading I want to do while raising and homeschooling my 4! :) Still going to start with reading the KJV all the way through on my own, and then I'll go from there. Thanks for addressing this! :)

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

:My belief is this, if anyone studies the Bible and correctly applies what is taught, they are a better person

I don't agree with that. There are many good things in the bible, but if you fall into the trap of "literal rendering", you will grow into a narrow-minded fanatic.

No offences to you, but there are "advices" in the bible, that most definitely will not make you a better person.

Just look at 2 John 10 - "If anyone comes to you and does not bear this doctrine, do not receive him into the house, and do not speak a greeting to him."

Would you say that anyone who applies that is a better person, than he who can be nice to all others, despite of their religious believes?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit