Damage control

by Gig 14 Replies latest jw friends

• acsot
    acsot
    Now if I only had time to do all this reading I want to do while raising and homeschooling my 4! :)

truthseekers2: Wow!!! I'm single (have my elderly mother living with me but she's still pretty autonomous) with some pets and find that I barely have time for anything! Of course, I work full-time but still at the end of the day my time is my own.

(Acsot humbly bows to truthseekers2)

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

More devil's advocate ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I could spend many of your minutes describing how helpful this forum has been for me, suffice it to say that it's the way things should be...offer an idea and everybody else have opportunity to put it on the table too, pro or con. My opinion is that Muslim's haven't realized (or have been denied) the benefits of such an appropriate arrangement that also provides the best method for discovery and growth.

My offering today is prompted by what I've found to be a recurring theme here...one that never fails to bother me. As many Muslims "get out", too often (for me) they along with now rejecting Islam, reject many of the good things Islam tried, however horribly, to represent. Namely Muslim behavior, religion as a whole, and even Allah himself. Islam's all too common tactic is guilty by association, and as much merit as it has I am unaccepting of that platitude in this case. Just because Islam misrepresented so many things, it doesn't make those things then unacceptable.

My belief is this, if anyone studies the Qu'ran and correctly applies what is taught, they are a better person...not only within themselves making life alot easier, but also to any others that they encounter. None of us, NONE know it all. Truly intelligent people will all likely tell you the same thing, the more you learn...the more you learn there is to learn. Whether physically, mentally, or spriritually, it never ends. So given that we're all under the same limitation, knowing that belief has nothing to do with truth and that the worst advice can be made to sound just as plausible as the best advice, go peacefully on. There will ALWAYS be greater and lesser than yourself.

So back to my point, I would ask all of those who have made the good things bad only because they had ANYTHING to do with Islam to reconsider. I hear objection to organized religion, fine, find yourself an independent Qu'ran based place to fellowship and study. No doubt some of the good you've learned from Islam's world is to verify what you are told...if they are going beyond what is written and making judgements, then they aren't the ones for you, but keep going. Start by eliminating the sectarian (we're saved and you're not) "religions" and various other self-righteous denominations and find those that have no headquarters and no centralized leadership other than the Qu'ran.

I understand the pseudo-peace that comes from having figured it out, but real satisfaction comes from being unafraid to consistently put your views to the test of scrutiny. If you have the truth of the matter it can become the greatest preventative of reaching deeper understanding, a barrier called belief that allows us to only seek what we have already found.

Humility is happiness, not a disguise. Peace is a reward, not a vague description. Love is a gift and there is no limit. Knowledge is acquired easy enough but it's just information, apply knowledge correctly and it's called wisdom. Please don't disqualify the best things in life just because Islam taught you the wrong way to see them. The Qu'ran describes a mature Muslim as one who, through consistent use, has developed the ability to determine right from wrong.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Hello Gig nice post and I am struggling with the whole religion concept. For me right now I don't have a belief in God, at least not the one I learned about while a JW. You said:

As many witnesses "get out", too often (for me) they along with now rejecting the WTS, reject many of the good things the WTS tried, however horribly, to represent. Namely christian behavior, religion as a whole, and even God himself. The WTS's all too common tactic is guilty by association, and as much merit as it has I am unaccepting of that platitude in this case. Just because the WT misrepresented so many things, it doesn't make those things then unacceptable.

The "good things the WTS tried" have for me been made a mockery BECAUSE they won't own up to the mistakes they have made. You know the list......false dates, twisting the scriptures to support "their cause", the child abuse scandle, the UN scandle, the lack of love and the way they tear apart families with disfellowshiping just to name a few.

Please don't disqualify the best things in life just because the WT taught you the wrong way to see them. The Bible describes a mature christian as one who, through consistent use, has developed the ability to determine right from wrong.

This is how I choose to live my life, although I'm not sure about being a "Christian" I can and do discern right from wrong. My own sense of goodness dictates that to me. My parents taught me how to be a good person, or maybe it was taught to me in all the years in the B'org I'm not sure, but I do know it's how I choose to live my life. Choice and the freedom to choose is a wonderful freedom no one should take for granted IMHO. Something lacking in the B'org BTW.

Thanks for this thread it gave me the opportunity to think about some things further. I'm still searching for "the reason" we are all here on earth. I don't know the answer or if I will ever find it but in the mean time I will continue to be a good person and do good to others to make a valuable contribution to this world in my own humble way.

truthseekers2, I admire you for home schooling your 4 kids. Something you may want to consider is to incorportate the readings from some of the great philosophers of our times such as Aristotle, Dante, Kant, Plato, Sartre to name a few into their lessons. Of course I guess it depends on the ages of your children but it sure could be a great way for you to find your way through your doubts and give your kids some exposure to great reading also. Just a thought, lol

I just think this forum is so great for helping us all to recover, heal and find our way to freedom from all the guilt ridden religious beliefs that have stifled our growth.

Katie

• kelpie
    kelpie

Excellent post as always Gig...

You must be an extremely deep thinker.

Kelps (who still wants her name back class)

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

"Namely christian behavior, religion as a whole, and even God himself."

No witness I know was taught Christian behavior unless Christian behavior is to stand in judgment over everyone and every act, to withhold love on command, to rat and spy on each other and to take joy in the DFing of people you don't like. Religion as a whole we are taught is form Satan. God, the destroyer, him I could have done without, I do however like the Christian God, I have been learning about and thought I know all these years.

i do agree with you, It's not the Bible that sucks, it's the people who use it to run there scams.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit