Do we come here to "convince" ourselves?

by bittersweet 36 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Tell your husband to keep dreaming. Why would a person even think about returning to their vomit?

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi bittersweet:

I was just curious what everyone else thought about this.Do you feel we are "convincing" ourselves that we made the right decision to leave?

Nope, not me.

It sounds like your husband is trying to convince "you" not to come here. I lived in a divided household for quite a number of years, and it was not very pretty. I hope that you are fairing better with your husband then I did when my husband was an active JW and I was not.

Follow your heart and head, this is something that JW's don't know how to do. They follow the "society" and are "convinced" that they are the only people on this earth of 6 billion people who God chooses to reveal his "truth" to. If that is the case, it is an awful waste of space.

Take care.

Mrs. Shakita

• Brummie
    Brummie

BTW I come here because I couldnt give a rats ass about what JWs think, plus I enjoy hangin out with Apostates, esspecially the naarsty ones and hipicrit. :)

Brumm

• SYN
    SYN

"Convince" myself about WHAT? Mainly I come here for the bad association

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

I didn't need the convincing that leaving was the right thing to do. But since I've been on the board, it has given me a firmer resolve, within myself, to hold my head up anytime I do see a dub and say to myself you are no better than me. I've always found with some dubs I've seen while shopping they look at me like I'm no good, I hate that.

So the board has given me greater confidence and some kick ass attitude.

Thank you everybody.

Calamityjane

• gumby
    gumby

He said the reason people come to these types of sites,is to convince themselves that they made the right decision to leave the"truth".

E-mail hit the nail on the head for many of us.

Some of us who are not completely convinced do.....so what? Some come for consolation, some come to share, some are here to help others, some want new friends who have been through the same thing, some for ALL these reasons. There is also a wealth of info. here supplied by those who have been there done that and they post it for all to see.

Most dubs think we have no life and come here to simply bash the Witnesses. They sit in their kingdom halls and bash the rest of the world......why are they any different?

Gumby

• Introspection
    Introspection

So why does your husband go to meetings and study the society's literature? Why does he feel the need to question you about this, does he need to convince himself of this?

Some people no doubt come to convince themselves, but the fact that others who are STILL witnesses come too plainly shows that cannot be the case with everyone.

Of course, pointing to the motive does not address the question of whether it's the truth. I'm sure he would think that even if a witness went to meetings to convince himself, that's not a bad thing because he thinks it's the truth. It sounds like this line of questioning was an attempt at dismissing the real question of whether it's the truth or not, but people's motive for being here is irrelevant as far as that's concerned. From the perspective of whether it's true or not, that would be an ad hominem argument - he is attacking the character of people rather than what they have to say. That, in turn, only reflects how emotionally identified a person is, which is basically a self centered attitude in that it comes from one's own feeling without any facts, also in that they are so focused on what people's motives are. In other words, this just reveals that a person is concerned about what other people think, which is basically the psychology behind fear of man. If it's realy the truth, why don't you just deal with that? Why be concerned with what people think?

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Tell him I was out for 20 yrs before ever I laid eye's on any ex-jw board. The only reason I maintain a presence here, is because my daughter's and entire relations are still in bondage to his type of thought process.

Danny

• LB
    LB

I'm sure some people may need convincing. I was convinced long before I found this site. I think most of us consider ourselves survivors. The people here have a common bond because of that and no one else knows what we have been through.

Then after awhile you begin to become friends with some. Many of us now know each other in real life. Much to my surprise I recently discovered a sister from my old hall on this site and she's active with posting. Isn't that fun!

• freedom96
    freedom96

The longer I am out of the WTS, the more I forget. I come here, and remember some of the crap, and though I don't need conformation that leaving was the right thing to do, it is sometimes humerous to remember all that happened. The more I can laugh about it, the more I can let it go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit