Dating non-Jehovah Witnesses

by ClassAvenger 26 Replies latest social relationships

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

The thing with JW's is, while you may respect their beliefs and right to hold such,
    they don't respect others beliefs or right to hold said beliefs.

It's okay for them to date/marry JW's that will abuse them,
    but not okay for them to date/marry non-JW's that will love them.

EVERYTHING in their world, revolves around loyalty to their God Jehovah and what they believe is his earthly organization.

Even if they choose you over their religion, the repurcussions of leaving their religion are challenging.

If the JW dates or marries you, they will be frowned upon and shunned by their JW community and family.

It's a big deal in their world. Tread carefully.

SPAZ (i wuz a witness for 28 years, and i did fall in love with a non-witness)

• LB
    LB

Because non witnesses expect things like sex. Why I understand that non witnesses even participate in oral sex!!! Can you imagine such a thing. How could any person married or not expect to make it into paradise with a mouthful of............

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

LB, I would say you are the only one around here that thinks of that kind of things. You might think that your religion is perfect, and that non Witnesses are perverted. Theres good and bad people in every religion, even in the JWs. I have not been presented a strong argument of why JWs dont date or marry non-witnesses. It's just a rule made by your religion that doesn't make sense. It's not like you are sinning, or like others said: the mate will have children and instruct them in another religion besides JWs and they will perish in Armaggedon for his or her fault. It seems to me a pretty weak argument with no solid foundation, but thanks for answering.

• Brummie
    Brummie

You tell HIM ClassAvenger...roflmao. If LB's a JW then I'm the pope.

BTW Welcome to the board.

It's okay for them to date/marry JW's that will abuse them,
    but not okay for them to date/marry non-JW's that will love them.

Good point Spaz...Thats about right.

Brummie

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

Thanks for the welcome Brummie. I read your profile LB, and sorry for what I said. To me it just can't fit in my head how JWs be so brainwashed by the WatchTower Society. I mean, they make all these rules such as no celebrating birthdays and stuff like that which dont even make sense. They say that because in the bible it never speaks about people celebrating their birthdays. Well, I dont know where in the Bible it says that "Jehovah Witnesses can not marry non JWs." Someone try to find that in the bible for me please. Oh, and dont use the New World Translation, i bet they already fixed up something like that. Lol. Sorry for attacking the religion, but i respected their beliefs until I found out that they dont respect our beliefs or our religion..

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hey ClassAvenger,

There's really no need to apologize for attacking the JW religion here. We know all too well how they operate, and they attack everything that isn't nailed down!! Their religion is a pure stream of negative thinking...I mean, they have a wide array of "don't do this, don't do that" as you have noticed, and their attitude towards outsiders is one of general derision (unless a person is interested in studying the JW faith, in which case they will temporarily love-bomb you to persuade you to convert).

The scripture they would quote about not marrying outside the JW faith is this one: 1 Corinthians 7:39 says to marry "only in the Lord". Of course to them that means only a JW, since no other religion truly worships the Lord (or does so correctly) in their arrogant view.

It's good that you came here with an open mind and I hope you are enjoying having some of your questions answered by people who have been on "both sides of the fence".

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Your point CA (if each is sincere and believes in God?)

JW's believe other may be sincere, but if they don't serve Jehovah and attend the Kingdom Hall, they are wrong and will be destroyed by Jehovah.

I think the biggest concern of the JW directors (the Watchtower) is that, in the long run, the JW has a good chance of being pulled down (out) of his/her faith by the non-JW. And a Bible verse backs up this philosophy 1 Cor 15:33 (a little leaven ferments le lump). Now that I have left I believe many of their quirks, like not celebrating holidays or associating with non-believing family or co-workers, are actually imposed to keep their members WATCHOWER-TRUCKING. Unfortunately you could never convince a practising JW on this point.

The favourite Bible verse used by the JW to impose JW same-religion marriage is 1 Cor 7:39 'get married in the Lord only' translated 'in the TRUTH (JW's) only'. They also use 2 Cor 6:14 and call the union of two different animals under the same yoke a bad match.

• larc
    larc

Regarding birthdays, they point out that a pagan asked for John the Baptist's head on a plate and she got it, therefore birthdays must be bad. I know it is a weak argement, but is their arguement.

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Looks like you're in a real pickle:

If you become a JW because you believe it and then happen to get married to this person, you guys might be happy.

If you become a JW to get married to this person you probably both wont be happy in the long run.

If you dont become a JW and get married to this person, the JWs wont like it and youll probably both have a hard time.

If your friend leaves the JWs to marry you this person will probably want to return to the JWs in the long run.

If your friend leaves the JWs to marry you, and doesnt want to return, youll be dealing with an ex-JW who will probably be posting on JW.com (something a JW in good standing is not supposed to do)

I've seen all of the above. Do you really want to get involved?

Edited by - wheelwithinwheel on 23 January 2003 10:44:31

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

Well ClassAvenger. To JW's, in order to be in the "IN' crowd, you have to be a JW. Nothing else will do. I am a worldy person and from what I gather, to JW's evil and lead a doomed existance. I too question how in the h*LL, they came up with all of their notations and rules and regulations. I also have befriened a JW who is fading out - I hope the elders forget about her and do not make any of those "sheparding calls" I have been reading about.

Tread very carefully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit