JW Chrisians in name only-what do you think

by enoughisenough 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

JW claim they are the true religion and they mention the love they have among themselves as proof. I have been watching a youtube creator who had some thoughts on the subject, bringing out JW were not really Christian, based upon their actions. He made a pretty good case. I was thinking of the Bethelites who were let go-essentially being told to keep warm and well fed, but literally not caring what happened to them after they got the free labor they desired from them. How many went out moneyless and homeless and cast upon the mercy of others? I know a couple who thought they would be set for life ( having been told so ) so they sold out, quit work, went to Bethel, only to be sent home when they had health issues. Tony must really have the goods for that heartless org to set him up in a home. The other Christian churches have programs for the poor or homeless...JW don't. The so called love among themselves is shallow and conditional. Even while in, before I was shunned, I felt like for the most part no one knew I existed unless they wanted something from me. As many of us know, they will hard heartenly drop you like a hot potato if you don't please them. They will slander you and throw you under the bus. This is what I have seen.

• cofty
    cofty

It is true that JWs have a terrible record of practical love. It is all shallow and conditional.

However it depends on how you define 'christian'. Jesus' earliest disciples were an apocalyptic sect who lived for the imminent end their own glorification. So they have a lot in common with primitive christianity.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    JW claim they are the true religion and they mention the love they have among themselves as proof.

All Christian religions and denominations claim the same thing.

The so called love among themselves is shallow and conditional.

The same can be said for all religions claiming to be Christian as well.

It's true that JWs have a lot of problems and their theology is demonstrably false. Not because they're JWs, but because they are Christian. Being wrong about how the universe works doesn't make JWs any less Christian than any other denomination.

What sets JWs apart from the rest of the charlatans is the high-control aspect of their ecclesiastical rules.

This has nothing to do with "not being Christian."

It's important not to fall prey to the No True Scotsman fallacy.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

No two Christians can agree what 'being a Christian' means. They can no more agree on what Christ is.

Enoughisenough..... you are developing your own opinions on the topic, and that is healthy, but insisting your opinion on the subject is the correct one and condemning all others, is very unchristian of you.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I was thinking if saying you believe in Christ Jesus makes one Christian but there are millions who claim it. The Bible does speak of those who have a form of Godly devotion, but prove false to it's power. Many on here have been kicked to the curb by those who claim to be Christian. It's like they love to prove to others they are Christians by being cold and heartless. ( instead of loving )

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

My understanding is that a Christian is one who puts his faith in Jesus's sacrifice. While JWs de-emphasize Jesus to some degree, they do believe that humanity can only be saved through this sacrifice. I think many Christians take exception to the way they move Jesus aside and focus their worship on Jehovah. For many Christians, Jesus is god, and the way JWs worship strikes them as sacreligious.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Helalapeno said "It's true that JWs have a lot of problems and their theology is demonstrably false. Not because they're JWs, but because they are Christian. Being wrong about how the universe works doesn't make JWs any less Christian than any other denomination."

Sorry, but the theology of JWs is correct. That is one thing that I'm thankful for ole CT Russell for, for setting the path to the truth.

Recently I've spent some time on Twitter and there are trinitarians, and ones who believe hellfire, and all Christians go to heaven, Calvinism such as predestination. And when I tell them how wrong they are, they mute me or block me or are rude.

They use the controversial scriptures and can't argue their beliefs.

But JWs understand the structure from beginning to end of how God and the kingdom and afterlife work.

• carla
    carla

As a non/never been jw - my opinion and that of every 'Christian' I know- jw's are not Christian because they don't accept Christ as their savior. period. They pretty much have no use for Christ and make fun of people who look to Jesus as their personal (and that of the world) savior and mediator. In dubland the gb is above Christ or at least equal. Not only that but according to my jw Jesus could have been anybody, He could have been Bob,Tom, Dick or Harry down the street. Jesus was nobody special. Not so in Christian circles. Though to be fair, this whole thought could have changed over the years and I or he completely missed it? So it goes in dubland keep up or fall behind with new light and all. Isn't there a scripture about teaching false teachings? the jw's don't seem to mind this when they get 'new light'. If a convention hasn't taken place in Hobokon New Jersey yet then the old still stand there. Never mind about the new light that came in a convention in Buffalo, NY.

In my weird life with a jw (who joined later in life) and me (Christian viewpoint non church-ed at the moment grew up traditional protestant) he had tried to pull the 'head of the house' crap on me because he believed it was 'Christian' and I would go along, hilarious ensues. Nope. You are not Christian and you can't try and use that on me because you are not a Christian. Take your ungodly crap and ..... well you get the idea. Yes, not very "Christian" of me I know, but, if I could forgive someone for the same 'sin' then I'm sure the Lord can too because there is no way that I could have more compassion than God.

For those who say that believing Jesus lived and was a holy man of some sort are 'Christian' do not understand Christianity at all. Muslims, East Indians (Hindu, etc...) also believe Jesus lived, that does make them 'Christian' because they do not believe that Christ died for their personal sins and that of the world.

Over the years my opinion has changed re: jw's due to the fact that first one must define 'sin' and also one must define what a 'God' or if you prefer 'god' is. That is where jw's and Christians differ entirely. Don't even go to the Trinity at the moment, first define sin and what a god is and is capable of. I can't count the many conversations between my and my jw regarding the above. On one hand he would shake his head in total agreement only to then say NO, blah, blah, blah......... it was infuriating! to have him shake his head in agreement to one second later say the entire premise was wrong except for some goofy word or two that he could agree with. aggh, it tires me out just remembering it. My kids tried too, all to no avail obviously or I probably wouldn't need to be here anymore. sigh.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The Org prioritizes unity over love.

The don't even try to hide it all that much.

• jhine
    jhine

Acts 2 verses 42-47 are interesting in many ways .

Verse 45 says

" they sold property and possessions to give to any who had need "

So love and charity are much in evidence here among the early believers.

Now most Christians today don't go that far but do support charities which are organised to help " those in need " worldwide.

Most campaign for governments and councils to act fairly to people and provide support to those who need it

Of course Witnesses are only allowed to donate money to the Org. for who knows what purpose.

They aren't allowed to participate in "politics " so can't hold those in power to account

Those verses also say that believers met together daily to break bread . Which would indicate that they celebrated the Lord's Supper . So the Org are wrong about that as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit