Your LAST door

by RAYZORBLADE 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Just curious. Would anyone like to share, if they feel like it, their memory of the last door they ever knocked on?

For me, I was Auxiliary Pioneering. It was November 1983. It was an unusually mild late afternoon for southern Ontario. I was going door-to-door in Etobicoke (Western Toronto suburb). I was with about 3 or 4 other people, all sisters.

At that time, I was struggling psychologically with many different issues. Somehow, at that time, I felt that if I hung in there, attended meetings, extra assemblies, prayed harder, auxiliary pioneered and studied more, that something, somewhere was going to enlighten me or perhaps give me the 'spiritual food' I needed. It never came, and I was going out door-to-door hoping for inspiration, but it wasn't manifesting itself. Honestly? I never liked going door-to-door. But, was conditioned to believe that this is what we must do in order to preach Jehovah's word. It was trying, and I dreaded it somedays.

Regardless, I kept on persevering. This one day, as I had indicated, it was late afternoon close to evening. Beautiful unseasonably warm November. I remember knocking on this one door (side door). No one answered, but someone for some reason came out of the front door. It was a woman of middle age. She was of Italian descent. I greeted her, and she acknowledged me. She was friendly, which as you know, is not the norm. But she was engaging enough that I began to talk to her.

I was about to begin my usual means of drawing attention to God's word etc., and she said something that I did not expect.

She said something to the effect of: 'you know, I don't know how you do what it is you are doing?'

I responded: 'it's not easy, let me tell you'.

She said: 'it must take a lot of courage because I know some people do not like Jehovah's Witnesses coming to their door'.

She added: 'I'm Catholic, but you know, I don't go to church, and I don't believe in it much, it's more for the old people'.

I remember taking whatever literature that I had in my hand, and returning it to my briefcase. I closed it up, zipped the side shut, and I just chatted with this very nice woman about 'other' topics.

She was the right person, in a peculiar way, at the right time. We discussed her family, work, the weather and a few other topics. We spoke for about 15-20 minutes. The sisters whom I had received a ride from, had pulled up near to where I was. It was getting dark and it was on to or past supper time. We did touch on 'my' being a Witness, but this woman was curious as to 'where' I came from, and 'how did I become one'. I do remember telling her something like: 'it's not easy being a JW' and that 'I would much rather do something else'.

Wrapping up our conversation, she asked me about the literature I had. But I told her, it was OK, not to worry. She was going to take it oddly enough, but I said to her like: 'I have thoroughly enjoyed our conversation, it really made my day', and proceeded to bid her good-bye, and return to the car, waiting nearby.

The sisters inside the car were so curious as to my long conversation with this woman. They could see me speaking with her, and of course, observe whether or not I had left her any literature. They were surprised that I didn't place any magazines with her. But of course, they could NOT hear the conversation from where they were parked earlier. So I just mentioned something like: 'I will make a return visit with her'. That was it.

That night, I went home, and I realized: That that was it. Given some of my private struggles and issues with the WTBTS, I felt like a hypocrite, and that night, not sure which one, I mentally called it quits with the organization. I remember praying very hard and was just about in tears, wondering why all of this was happening to me.

I went to work that evening, and my head was racing a thousand miles per hour. I couldn't keep this JW life up any longer. I couldn't stand it.

I did not make my hours. I did not go out in service after that evening. I think I made 1 meeting, and I totally engrossed myself in work, taking any shift I could possibly grab. My only problem: sharing a home with a Witness couple. They were very nosey, and I often found my personal desk drawers askew sometimes. They'd call work, just to see that I was there. I knew it was time to get out of there as well. It was getting dicey.

My last meeting: January 1, 1984.

I moved out of where I was living, and moved into the city centre.

Until this very day, I have not forgotten my last door.

How about some of you? Any stories to relate re: last door ?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I DA'ed on January 6th 2002, after my Public Talk.

My last day on "Field Service[Tm]" was January 5th, where I went around all my route calls to tell them I was leaving the JW's and wouldn't be bringing the magazines anymore. I was wished well, by one and all.
    I remember telling one religious woman "I'll leave you this issue, if you REALLY want. But be careful, because this issue contains a really ropey argument about Michael the Archangel being Christ".

My wife tried to follow them all up, but they've all dropped off taking the mags

• Dia
    Dia

Well, this is not my last 'door' but it's the last time I tried to preach to anyone. So I guess it's the same thing.

It was my HS teacher. I'm giving my usual, 'this is right, this is wonderful' speal.

And he said something like, "And everyone else is gonna' be destroyed? Like Mother Teresa? God is going to destroy Mother Teresa because she's evil and misguided?'

I'm sure I kind of stammered around for a moment or two.

But I could not get that thought out of my head and I started feeling DEEPLY foolish and it was a feeling (thankfully) I have just never been able to shake.

;-)

By the way, it was nineteen-seventy-FOUR!

Risky, eh?

I've been powerfully proud of leaving in that particular year ever since.

I just knew this was not gonna' happen.

Edited by - Dia on 22 January 2003 5:20:13

• SYN
    SYN

Don't remember my last door, but that was an excellent post Rayzor!

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Wow Rayzor what a great story.

I can't remeber my last or my first door, first door cos I was probably 5 at the time, last door cos obviously nothing exciting happened. Wish I did take note of it though, except I couldn't have known at the time it was going to be my last door. So, who knows, but I do know I let go of a few Bible studies, just like that...and heaps of return visits....hehehehe wonder what they thought when I never showed up again.

Oh well, who cares prolly saved them and their kids from a lifetime of misery eh?

Good Post Canuck

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I remember my first door when I came to the states. I was living in Georgia at the time and the guy came out and started yelling at me as loud as he possibly could. I was only 11 at the time and nearly soiled myself!

I do not remember my last door as I spent the last few months of my dubhood filling out false reports so as I could still run the sound box at the hall. Loved running the sound because I could just turn everything on, leave it on, and go to sleep for an hour or so.

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

I don't remember my last door, but what I do remember is I never enjoyed service. I was approached by and elder who suggested that I temporary pioneer. I felt cornered and as much as I didn't want to do it, I agreed to for the following month. There were 2 full time pioneers that I went out with everyday. I remember them going on and on about how much they loved going out in the ministry and that they were their happiest while out in service. I remember siliently sitting there wishing I could have those feelings, but I simply didn't. All I could think about is getting home, and dreading everydoor we pulled up to.

I never did capture that zeal, and I think it's because I never truly believed in what I was preaching. A lot of the questions I was being asked at the door, I questioned myself.

• shera
    shera

I don't remember..just like my first door..I was probley babbling nonsense.

• LB
    LB

My last door is clear in my mind. It didn't change things as I was already on the way out but I do remember the conversation.

The householder (hate that term) was big into guns and self protection. He asked us if we would be willing to take a life to save one. The MS I was with said no, I said yes, to save someone I love I would take a life. So the HH asks the MS if he'd shoot someone that was about to rape and then murder his lovely wife. Again he says no he wouldn't, I say yes I'd protect his wife too.

Sadly a year later the MS's wife dies of cancer before her 30th birthday. I was at the hospital the day before she passed away. The only treatment left was blood and it was refused. She saw me and tried to wave but had to settle for a smile. It was enough, I knew she was going fast.

It took the MS (now elder) a couple of years to get the replacement wife.

• Sprocket
    Sprocket

I remember my last door. I remember going in service knowing it would be the very last time I would have to actually go door-to-door. I tell you what a thrill, even though I felt somewhat guilty doing it. It would have been obvious if I was not out that day as I was an elder and it was the circuit overseer's visit.

As fate (can I say that word?) would have it, the CO worked with my study group. Interestingly enough, at the very last house (when everyone waits for someone else to take the door) I walked up to the door to take it. The CO decides to accompany me...I had never worked with him before. We had a great householder, a middle-aged man, that had just put his dog down and was upset. We spent 15 minutes with the guy consoling him. Never placed anything. I remember thinking throughout the conversation how relieved I was to not being doing this again. The call may have been pretty innocuous but it was the whole experience I knew I would never miss.

As we walked away, the Co said, " You must keep him as a return Visit". " Oh sure," I said..."no problem".

Sprocket

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit