Your LAST door

by RAYZORBLADE 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shakita
    Shakita

I can't remember my last door. It probably was a not at home, or a home but hiding. We had alot of those in our area... you would be lucky to get 1 or 2 people at home in the entire morning out in service. That was always ok with me though, I absolutely detested field service!

Mrs. Shakita

• Ed
    Ed

My last door was mine. I spent an hour preaching to some Mormons who had the misfortune to call around. They were surprisingly calm about it, and actually listened. Not at all what you would expect from a JW in the same situation. It was around that time I started to realize that people of other faiths were nothing like they were portrayed in the WT, and in fact were (mostly) trying to do the right thing just as much as the average Witness.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I don't remember my last door. I don't remember much of anything during that time. I do remember what I did at my last assembly. They were downing something again and I stared at my little niece and stuck my finger down my throat in a gag motion. I then left at the break and NEVER set foot at a JW event. EVER

• yumbby
    yumbby

I don't remember my last day of field service but I do remember my last meeting. I remember having an anxiety attack before the meeting, and while at it, I remember thinking how much I hated it. I remember thinking for the first time.. should't worship be something enjoyable? shouldn't it be something from your heart, freely given? I was SO tired of being made to feel guilty for not doing enough... never ever enough... whew. now I LOVE sundays.

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

For the life of me i cannot remember my last door but that is probably because i didnt realize at the time that it was my last although i can remember my first at about 5 years old on my own for goodness sake. My last meeting i do remember the 97 memorial at a friends congo, did not know a soul and the congo kept it that way, not one person even approached me or my wife,oh the love we felt, i vividly remember we had the exact same feeling in the car on the way home . thats it its over.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember my last door. I remember that we were out on a cold, snowy day, I had a crutch because of an injury. I had been told that I needed to get service time in by the elders. The householder looked at me in disbelief, thinking I'm sure of the liability problems (see the Ram article). I realized then that it was all insane. So I had the car group take me home and that was the last time, two years ago.

Blondie (remember "taking doors"? What a bizarre phrase)

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I hope that this isn't bothersome to resurrect this topic, but I had to, only because I was back in this vacinity yesterday.

On Monday, September 10, 2012 - I happened to be in a part of western Toronto I seldom if ever have purpose or reason to visit there. But there I was due to a pre-arranged appointment. I decided for 'old times sake', to venture near to my ...

"Last Door"

... it was interesting, because as it's been nearly 30 years, the place has changed; trees have grown considerably; houses have been renovated; new businesses; construction and new condominiums. All changed.

As the streets went by from west to east (I was headed to the subway), I pretty much found the street where I had done my "last door".

I often wondered what became of the woman I spoke to; her mother has probably no doubtedly passed away. I of course, never went back to the Jehovah's Witnesses, and well our lives have changed significantly. Tempted as I was to go up that street, I did not.

I would've been Auxiliary Pioneering back in both October and November 1983.

29 years ago. Hard to believe.

Anyone recall or doing similarly? Thanks.

• cofty
    cofty

Great thread, thanks for resurrecting it.

I remember my last door - it was 1996 and I was working a little settlement called Shoreswood in rural Northumberland in North East England.

google map...

It was a Sunday afternoon and there were probably 3 or so car groups working around the area. I was paired with the wife of a fellow elder (actually I had resigned a few months earlier)

I really didn't want to be there and as we got to our first door I reaslised that I had absolutely nothing to say to anybody who might come to the door. I was brought up as a JW and actually used to enjoy FS most of the time. I had pioneered for years but this day I felt completely empty. I asked Carol if she wouldn't mind doing all the doors - fortunately she jumped at the chance.

The last door was a guy in his 20s who was obviously enjoying his life. He played amateur football, had a trade he liked and a few quid in his pocket. Carol tried bravely to preach at him but I knew that mentally I was on the side of the "householder".

I knew I was finished. I never showed up for FS again.

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Ray .... well by the time I got to the last of anything, ..the brochure about

the "END" was being dropped enmass throughout the city!

Must have been 2008 I think.

I never took my 'quota' of brochures from the hall, so had to scrounge a few and

with a heavy heart drove to the nearest hospital as the laundrymats were sure

to be covered thoroughly!!

The message from the platform was

if you don't do your share ... you won't make it thru the big A!!!

So I scurried down the hallways to find a deserted area and quickly ditched a few in the x-ray dept!

Omg ... the revulsion I felt walking out of that door was awful, and I made up my mind

to never do any more watchtower service ever again! I stopped handing in that gd time slip!!!!

clarity

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty's last door, I think it should have a plaque.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit