I am so depressed

by Sadie5 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

My hubby and I are closing our business. 2002 was a terrible year. We've been in business for 10 years and in 2002 we earned only 60% of our average. Our bills were all the same if not more. The debt keeps snowballing. I finally said to my husband, we came into this business with 50 dollar in our pockets and didn't owe any business debt. We're up to 7,000 in debt now.

the last few months I have used credit cards to buy groceries. I paid bills using our overdraft, usually the money came in before the time limit was up. it didn't this month and now we lost our overdraft. also someone bounced a check on us, and hasn't made good for it, this caused a chain reaction. One check went for the water bill and bounced. I immediately called the water department when my bank notified me that the check was being returned. They said they would call me when they got the check and I could come in and pay cash, plus a fee to get it settled. I've been calling them everyday because I didn't want to miss their call and have our water shut off. they ran the check through yesterday again, and caused another fee in my checking account. I called the water dept. and asked them since I had called everyday, couldn't someone have told me they were going to try and cash my check again? I would have put the cash in the bank instead of hanging on to it. They said they had no control over it. I was so angry over it.

I've applied for food stamps, but they said it will be three weeks before an interview and then it takes more time to get the food stamps, if we get approved. I'm managed to buy food at a discount price from a church, so I'll pick it up Saturday. Their's was one of the checks that bounced but they are working with me and letting us have the food.

Hubby and I are both looking for work. One place told my hubby three weeks ago, that he would have a job. Gave him instruction videos to watch and had him come in for some non-paid training. told him yesterday they couldn't hire him, they felt he was too old for the job,(he's 50).I might get a job as a checker at the local grocery store. One of the checkers in pregnant, and they'll need a replacement. Of course it is only slightly over minimum wage.

We both work for a newspaper too. He does photos and I write. trouble is it doesn't pay very much and the paper doesn't know if it will fold. Not too many businesses are advertising.

So I'm terrribly depressed right now. This economy sure does stink. We're finishing out the month at our storefront and moving out slowly. We're bending over backwards just to get people to do business with us. Of course they are taking every advantage of it too.

Sorry just needed to vent a bit.

Sadie

• JH
    JH

I'm very sorry to hear this.

This is the best time to see who your friends really are

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Sadie...I can soooo relate...I take it one day at a time. Hope your kids are all grown.

From another fifty year-old

• larc
    larc

Sadie, I am sorry to read about your situation. My daughter is going through something similiar. Tomorrow she is selling her business at a loss, and she is trying to pick up the pieces. I hope the best for you, and of course, for my daughter as well.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sorry to hear this, just remember things always work out in the end. The only way is up!

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Sadie5. We know so little about you from your bio page, not even where you are from. Those who may be able to lend immediate assistance, need to know more, so we know if we are in a position to assist.

Help Us to Help You

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Sadie - I am sorry to hear of all your troubles!!! When it rains, it certainly poors!

This day too shall pass, and hopefully everything goes straight up.

((Sadie))

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

Very sorry to hear of your troubles , no wonder your depressed who wouldnot be ,,just a suggestion why doesnot your husband change his age when applying for a job for instance knocking a couple of years off his actual age,my farther did,when he was alive (worked a treat) given your experiences between you there is allways someone or somewhere that is or are screaming out for your talent,most people in your position have differnt types of insurance policys, did you take any out, and if yes why not claim as in losing your job,redundant,Your still young enough to start over ,

No matter what you will get through your sticky moment in time and a few months down the line you will look back and laugh about this experience,as you will find in life things have a way of changing for the better given time

hope you get through this without blaming each other.

• moreisbetter
    moreisbetter

Dear Sadie,

My heart goes out to you & your family. This indeed is heartbreaking. The situation is a challenge, but one that can be met. Many of us here have gone through the same or very similer times.

There is one thing that I just had to respond to:

One place told my hubby three weeks ago, that he would have a job. Gave him instruction videos to watch and had him come in for some non-paid training. told him yesterday they couldn't hire him, they felt he was too old for the job,(he's 50).

Did this company specifically say he wasn't hired because of his age? Did they say he was able to perform the minimal job requirements for the position he applied for? How did they know how old he is? Did they ask him in the interveiw or on the employment application? If any of these can be answered yes, then you may want to review this situation as a possible act of age discrimination. If you have any questions, contact your nearest office of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

I know that doesn't help you with what you physically need at this moment, but I just wanted to pass it on. 50 is not too old to do anything!

You started a business with $50 that lasted 10 years? Thats pretty impressive! I hope you see it as an encouragement and belief in yoursefl that you will make it again. Please keep us informed! Please take care!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Sadie

Bless your heart. I've been there. I give the whole experience a sphincter factor of 9.5. I know that sinking panicky feeling in your chest. When our first child was born, my wife quit her job and started working out of the house as a word processor/paralegal. The business was doing so well that a year later my employer was offering senior employees a buyout to quit. So I did (and got 6 months' salary) and started helping my wife with the baby and the business. Everything went very well for 3 years. However in the third year our largest client realized that they could hire someone for the amount they had paid us for the year; and so they did. Then our second largest client (law firm) settled two giant cases within days of each other and did not have work for us. So for about 6 or 7 months we had zero (0) dollars coming in. We went through savings, cashed in 401(k)s and then started in on credit cards. In the meantime my wife gave birth to our second child. Finally after 8 months my wife found a job and 2 months later I found work at night. It took us 3 years to pay off the credit card debt we accrued. We ended up using Consumer Credit Counseling Service (they've got agreements with the major credit cards and got the interest rate lowered on all of them). It was a real pain to deal with them, but we finally got it paid off.

If I could tell you anything it would be DON'T PANIC. You will get through this. Keep looking for work. Cut costs as much as possible. Look for creative ways to generate income. You sound like an intelligent person, so I know you've already thought of all of this. But if I can get through it, then so can you.

Just hang in there. It will get better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit