Please, help me to show the USA that a public inquiry into child abuse...

by defender of truth 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Hi Blondie.

Thank you for that information. Please could you explain the direct link to what I'm talking about though, please? Someone with normal intelligence might see what you mean by all that straight away, but I am lost.

Are you suggesting that SNAP may help to lobby for a public inquiry? Or that it isn't necessary because SNAP are doing great work already?

Without any commentary, I don't know what to do with all that because I don't know what you are suggesting. Thanks.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

I'd still welcome any suggestions for american groups to contact, with the power to lobby the government on this issue.

I haven't had any suggestions yet, so I went ahead and emailed Every Child Matters, to see if they want to help take this matter further.

http://everychildmatters.org/about

• steve2
    steve2

Defender of truth, perhaps I have misunderstood you - and apologize if I have - but your posts come across as if you are wanting others to do the work on this issue while you come across -purposely? - as floundering to impel others to do the work. You sound desperate but not having the skills or motivation to do the necessary set up work.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, go back to some of the earlier threads on how the Australian Royal Commission was first initiated and perhaps contact some of the key people, at least one who posts here, umbertoecho.

One thing is certain: The Commission was not initiated overnight and it is surveying several religious iinstitutions, not just JW organization.

I also recall another person who posted on this forum circulated a petition calling upon the American government to launch a commission of inquiry - you might find that thread under the Child Sexual Abuse section of this forum from about one month ago.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

I don't know what to do about this request. It seems that America is a very free place for all sorts of religions to function in. Are the guidelines different there compared to say Australia.

I think 8 Million is a substantial number of people to be considered. This makes it a big organization, for such a young one.

Are the states of America different in their perspectives on investigating matters such as religious abuses? Or is there some complete rule covering all states.............As was noted in this smaller population of Australia. It was still possible to "not" adhere to certain regulations from one state to another. This was made evident when Working with Children Checks became such a big issue. I see that America would be a hard place to convened an across the board investigation. Perhaps, state to state would be the way to go. Big things have small beginnings .............not the best advice, but letting you know I am paying attention.

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty
    I would love to see that
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

If someone could get word to Hilary Clinton's people, I think that a campaign promise to initiate a Presidential Commission into the problem would be very effective.

Successfully following though on that promise would virtually guarantee her re-election, too, IMO.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Although Australia and the U.K. having special commissions investigating institutional responses to child sexual abuse are very commendable, a similar type of special Congressional commission would not have the same powers and would be more of a dog-and-pony show. Congressional commissions can only make recommendations to Congress and religious organizations are currently exempt from filing annual financial reports to the IRS.

Nothing will change unless laws are changed. Besides why not do something to solve the problem than talk about it - isn't 3 decades long enough to talk about it!

If you want to change laws for tax-exempt organizations, I would recommend tweaking the USA Tax Code like I have been promoting for several years on JWN and also on LinkedIn. If you want to learn more about tweaking the Tax Code, please read the overview of a proposed bill and the draft bill at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lbrkte086omivtt/AADN7PQHNylsdKwbltjHxBUea?dl=0. The draft bill would require all tax-exempt organizations to file annual reports including currently exempt religious organizations.

If you want to jump start the legislative process, please read and like the LinkedIn discussion at https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/6784497-6034388592510394371?trk=groups-post-b-title to create a "We the People" petition to obtain a response from the White House as well as writing to members of Congress and promoting tweaking the Tax Code to protect children to family, friends, and on social media.

I would be pleasantly surprised if 10% of JWN members would spend less than 5 minutes to sign a "We the People" petition withing 24-hrs of it being created. If they did, 100,000 signatures could easily be obtained within 30 days. The only requirements to sign a petition is being older than 12-years old and have an email address. According to the White House website there is no requirement to be a USA citizen.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ ABibleStudent...

I didn't say "Congressional", I said "Presidential".

The Warren Commission (one of the more well-known Presidential ones) had legs.

• blondie
    blondie
    DOT, it's of case of not re-inventing the wheel and working together with people/organizations that have a good base and success. If you note that Kathleen Conti is the mother of the young woman that won a case against the WTS in her abuse case. I have found that organizing ex-jws is hard, as they dislike being part of an organization. I have found that working with other groups directs your blows, efforts and adds their strengths behind it.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

The Warren Commission (one of the more well-known Presidential ones) had legs.

Wasn't that the one that destroyed Norman Dodd's investigation into "Foundations?"

The Carnegie Foundation, The Ford Foundation and others I can't recall to mind right now.

This Warren Commission was stymied from the outset. Information was constantly interrupted by so many "learned ones who wanted to shut the whole exposure up". The determination of those who wanted all things hidden prevailed in the end......Look up Norman Dodd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit