Black reparations

by LoneWolf 33 Replies latest jw friends

• sableindian
    sableindian

Hi, Stinky,

As an American of African descent you are probably also of an indigenous heritage. Your statement is true for many Indigenous Americans.

Here is a more accurate statement.

"If enrolled in a Federally recognized Tribe, there are some colleges available which do offer virtually a free education. The student first files the FAFSA and makes application to a college which is sponsored by that particular Tribe. Do an internet search for Indian Colleges."

And as for living conditions, not all Indigenous Americans do or want to live on a reservation. The matter is choice and that seems to be where the status quo wants to keep us. And those who don't live on the reservation sometimes are looked at badly among older ones. But we are all learning and the love is there. Please visit a Pow Wow near you and see your people and come join us.

• copsec
    copsec

In my humble opinion, there is only one group in America that has the right to complain and that is the Indians. This was THEIR country and they got crapped on. I agree that African-Americans had a bum deal but if they want to make America pay, than they should also make those countries that sold them to America (including Africa) pay. Also, the Chinese were sold as slaves and brought here to help build the railroads. They were beaten, raped, starved and all kinds of things but you don't hear them asking for a free hand-out.

Now, before someone goes off on me thinking I am being racial I will say Yes, I am a white person. But, I grew up among African-Americans, have many that are friends and they agree with me. They say that an intelligent black person would have to much pride to accept a free hand-out. So, I dunno, but that's my thoughts.

• sableindian
    sableindian

Hi, Athanasius,

As a committee member of the Potawatomi and ethnic member of the Muskogee and Hustchi Nation, I'd just like to share some information with you as far as Blacks are concerned. I would also like to invite you to a Pow Wow near you. Enjoy some fry bread and honey corn.

"Chief Osceola led his fellow Seminole in Florida into the second Seminole War(1835-1842) against the United States. The conflict arose when the U.S. government tried to relocate the mixed Indian and African American Seminole to Oklahoma, and was aggravated by white and Creek Indian claims that many Seminole, possibly including Osceola's wife, were escaped slaves"

Florida did not become a slave state until 1845. Just 20 years later slavery was abolished. All this talk about reparations is good in a sense that it is bringing out dialogue. But we know as Indigenous people that there is no cause to hold one's breath. We should take note of the progress of both peoples IN SPITE of the weighted heel. WE know the media depictions are different than the realistic depictions. WE know that Indigenous and Black people live not only in big cities and reservations, but also in suburbs and country homes. In Europe and in the islands around the world. We know there is wealth in both Indigenous and Black families. Yet, I believe the cry is not for those of us who are affluent. But for those who can not seem to get from under the weighted heel. The cries are of those with feelings for others, it is true. But there are other cries and we must listen to all who hurt over this matter, be fair and weigh it carefully.

I live in a small town in Georgia. Thank God it is a college town. It would be worse than it is if it weren't. And it is pretty bad. I am in culture shock. I have to remember what I say and do. And why people react to me the way they do. LOL ("You're not from here, are you?")

And still I see the mixture of the Hustchi in the language and singing here in this area of the south. There is always hope for a truly peaceful existing world. I think it will be the women who lead the way. (smile)

• sableindian
    sableindian

TeeJay,

*sigh* Let's talk. You know where to find me.

Sableindian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit