Black reparations

by LoneWolf 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

If the white americans should give reparations, why shouldn't the black slave traders who rounded up their own tribesmen also give reparations for the evil deeds they were responsible for? I don't think either group could be accountable now since the ones who made it all happen are dead. It's time we all started to look at each other as fellow humans with out the raciest views because of skin color. I think we should begin to take the responsibility for our own lives instead of blaming others for our failures. I'm beginning to see where I went wrong in planning my life in a financial way and don't blame anyone but myself.

Ken P.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Well, Undecided, most Blacks don't want reparations so I guess "white america" doesn't have to worry. Like you said:

Maybe they should be a little thankful for being here.
    Afterall, Blacks could have immigrated like other groups and had a totally different plight instead of being stolen from their home and enslaved.

Edited by - StinkyPantz on 21 January 2003 8:33:18

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Speaking of reparations, what about the plight of Native Americans? Being part Native American, I think we should be considered first when it comes to reparations. After all it was our land that was stolen. Unlike the Blacks, our people were often exterminated to make way for progress. So if anyone deserved reparations its the Native Americans.

Athanasius

• jelly
    jelly

[PASTED FROM A PREVIOUS DEAD POST OF MINE BUT RELEVANT]
    Hmmm, interesting subject.

MY VIEW:
    To be honest, I have no problem with black only events or cable channels. If people want to do that and there is a market for it so be it, sometimes I even watch a little BET when the music videos are on. As far as reparations however I have to say no way, when the IRS shows up at my door looking for money for a crime I didnt commit is the day I stop paying taxes. That being said, things in America are still not equal and I think that we must realistically address the issue.

THE PROBLEM:
    The inequality currently, in my opinion, is not institutional like it was 40 years ago. If you are a black man in America with the right skills, you will go far. What does exist in the black community is a type of economic disparity that must be addressed. The problem in the black community comes from two sources. The first is the poorly funded school systems that a large number of minorities attend. Schools in California get their funding based on the property taxes of the area, basically the more expensive the houses the more money per student. So rich neighborhoods have very well financed schools where poor ones are broke. The bad school leads to children that cannot compete educationally with kids form the suburbs, who tend to be white, so they end up stuck in the same neighborhood they grew up in and send their own kids to poor under-funded schools. A type of cyclical poverty. The second source of the economic disparity, that might offend some people, is the black subculture. Asians faced many of the same issues that the black community did, now the have economic parity with whites. I think the African American community does need to look at itself and make some changes. Things like education need to be stressed more, and developing a fixation on the mythical white privilege really probably doesnt help the African American community either; it just gives some people an excuse for failure.

THE SOLUTION:
    The solution is a two-step solution. First, fix the schools, all schools should receive equal funding based on the number on students not their fathers income. Also, alternative solutions like vouchers for private schools should be pursued. Second, and more difficult, is the African American community would benefit from stressing education, and looking up to successful black men who are not sports stars. The second solution is going to have to come from within the Black community itself.

SOME EXTRA POINTS:
    Blacks are better off in America (by a wide margin then they are in Afica) to say a few Africans live better lives than a few African Americans, while true, doesn't prove that Africans are better off than African Americans.

I think one of the huge problems in the Black community is they tend to have too many 'ready made' excuses for failure. Focusing on the 'slavery issue' and other things that have never influenced any living black american in any way is just another example of these.

Things are beter than they were, if you cant see that you are dishonest, but things are still not equal, see my post above.

Much of the inequality today is based on economic class and less on race, although both still exist.

I have worked for large and small companies and know many people that do hiring; i have never seen or even heard of anyone not hiring someone based on color. Of course that might be because of the location I am from where race relations are good.

Terry

• jelly
    jelly

Athanasius,

My family has been in America for about 270 years my ancestors owned numerous slaves. Another side of my family were some of the first white settlers in indiana and married Indian women. So I have both Indian blood and slave owner blood. So do I pay or do I get paid?

Terry

• teejay
    teejay
    Speaking of reparations, what about the plight of Native Americans? Being part Native American, I think we should be considered first when it comes to reparations. After all it was our land that was stolen. Unlike the Blacks, our people were often exterminated to make way for progress. So if anyone deserved reparations its the Native Americans. -- Athanasius

I think you are missing a subtle but extremely relevant point. That is...

Blacks helped to build the one economic fixture that drove Southern economy for more than two hundred years. Tobacco and cotton. Planted, cultivated, and reaped with the efforts of Africans. What contributions to this economy did Native Americans make? Zero.

Yeah, they had the land stolen out from under them and suffered genocide by various means at the hands of the Europeans, but -- speaking as one with Native blood hissef' -- in comparison to Blacks, Native Americans did nothing to enhance the economic force of the country. Not ever.

If I have a successful business and you didn't even sweep the floor, what compensation do you really deserve?

• mike047
    mike047

IRA HAYES?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    Speaking of reparations, what about the plight of Native Americans?

Well, Native Americans get their "reparations" in other ways. They can live for free on reservations (I think), many get monthly checks, and they get 100% of their college paid for if the so choose to go.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    If I have a successful business and you didn't even sweep the floor, what compensation do you really deserve?

If your great-great-great-grandfather had a successful business and my great-great-great-grandfather didn't even sweep the floor, what compensation do either of us deserve?

• sableindian
    sableindian

Hi, LoneWolf,

(sounds like you're in my neck of the woods. Any (Indian) Indigenous blood? See you've got black bugs blood. LOL)

I totally agree with you about the "redneck" issue. I have many friends who are not minorities. I just recently moved to Georgia. I think there is supposed to be a difference between a "cracker" and a "red neck". Just learning. But one thing I have learned through out the years is that as I cried, babysat, joked, hugged and loved my White female friends from the south, I also fought as hard for their rights as a woman.

There was a "red neck" on my job who had a brilliant idea. When I found out who was making my life easier because of his idea, I went straight to him to let him know. There was also a monetary award for those with good ideas. NO ONE IN MANAGEMENT WAS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS. (This was in Texas) First I let him know about it. He thanked me and did nothing. Then I wrote management, two letters, supervisors and senior supervisors. No response. So I BROUGHT the young man an application filled out what I knew and asked him to fill out the rest. He said that no one would listen to him. So I began to bug him everyday. Finally he filled it out and turned it in.

Do you know he won $100, got his name mentioned at a meeting and on the bulletin of the corporation. He wanted to give me something and I told him the best thing he could do was to remember that his vision is just as important as anyone else and to let his children know what he had done and what he received.

I believe wholeheartedly that he was ignored because he was a "redneck". And that made me fighting mad! I see a division when one looks at race. But I see unity when one looks at economics. Look a little closer at the unemployment problem today. It sho' ain't race.

This quiet Libra can get a little pushy when I see injustice around me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit