Thirty Years a Watch Tower Slave

by JAVA 26 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Java, thanks for the excerpts from the book. I enjoyed reading it.

Patio

• TR
    TR

Fred,

• TR
    TR

Java

Schnell's book was the first xdub book I read. Interestingly, my wife presented me with the book when I was a dub. Of course, I rejected it at the time because "he's just a disgruntled JW", even though I knew nothing about Schnell or the book.

TR

• Norm
    Norm

See below

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Java,

I have also recently read this book and it confirms my thoughts that Rutherford was provoking many of the "persecution" issues in the US and elswhere. While a Witness Schnell also knew how to suck up to "Da Judge" by making servile butt kissing drivel like this one from the WT:

A CONTINUED TESTIMONY OF DIVINE APPROVAL

Dear Brother Rutherford:

Having a part in this wondrous witness work has filled my heart with joy and gladness.

From my childhood days (I was fourteen when I started witnessing) until now, I’ve experienced a guiding hand, leading me to better usefulness, equipping me with better tools and teaching me to use them effectively to the praise and honor of our Father’s name. Through all these years I’ve come to the realization of a great truth: that by constant devotion to his service, in his witness work, we learn to love our Father above everything else and to appreciate the great truths which he gives us through The Watchtower, which truths again lead us to increased devotion and usefulness.

I cannot help but notice that we are privileged with more light in one issue of The Watchtower now than we were in one whole year fifteen years ago. Such is real cause for joy; for we know that only those can follow the light who have made use of previous instructions. It shows our Father’s approval of our course of action. For that reason I am always eagerly awaiting the next issue, as an appreciation and understanding of each Tower is a continued testimony to me that I have still the approval of my Father; for it simply drives me on with more pep.

This work is the Lord’s work, and all honor is due to him. I feel so elated with it, and particularly because of its increased effectiveness. During the past year I’ve had marvelous experiences with one branch of it, namely, the radio work. Your radio efforts are greatly blessed by the Lord. It’s a grand remover of lies and errors.

One lady was so sorry she had been harsh to one of the JW’s a year ago that she cried. She said that your lectures had opened her eyes to what we’re doing, and I placed ten volumes with her, and was fed and treated like a king.

The station in Athens, Ga., is doing great work. Due to your broadcasts there, we placed over a hundred volumes in four days in the business section. The books were taken because they liked the lectures. Your lectures reach people we couldn’t get at before. I worked in an exclusive section in Anderson, S. C., one Sunday morning. I placed many books with the people, and heard your voice in about twelve homes while working. Needless to say, I didn’t have to say much to place books.

I’ve had many more such experiences, but this letter is getting too long. Just wanted to tell you why I am so happy, and I do know that you’ll be glad, too, to know. May the Lord continue to bless you, my dear brother, for you certainly have been a lot of encouragement to me.

Yours for kingdom service,

William J. Schnell, Pioneer

Of course when Schnell "found Jesus" he found another butt to kiss.

Norm.

• JanH
    JanH

Schnell's book is in many ways a mystery, and it is one of the sources that annoys me more than anything. This could easily have been the best source to the whole Rutherford era. It could have been a book that had a wider impact on the JW community than Ray Franz' much less widely distributed Crisis of Conscience.

And Schnell blew it. Problem is, the more I study it, the more I am convinced that he is correct. Not only is his recollection of facts and events not in conflict with any known facts, he also seems to get to the core of a few very important issues in his analysis of what really went on in the inner sanctrums (where he did not have access) during some critical years.

"So what's the problem?" you ask. The problem is he doesn't document anything. There are no references. No sense of source criticism. It is a collection of assertions without any basis in evidence. As such, a JW can easily dismiss the claims. Schnell didn't go to the trouble to back up his claims, and I don't think I can forgive him that sin of omission.

- Jan
    --
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate." - Occam

• RR
    RR

I felt the same way Jan, having read the book several times. It is also written with much hatred, this guy really did develop a lot of hatred for the Society. And as some of you know. he eventually accepted orthodox Christianity and wrote several other books refuting the Society based on his new found beliefs.

In any event, keep in mind, as Schnell admitted that he was in Germany and that Germany it seemed, was the prototype for teh chnages worldwide. Most of the chnaged occured there first, then some six years later, we implemented in the USA.

Finding the sources and facts shouldn't be hard for someone who knows Watchtower history.

• Englishman
    Englishman

JAVA,

I too found it impossible to buy the book.

However, my local library was able to track a copy in another towns library, so I reserved it. It took 6 weeks before it was my turn to loan the book and I had to sign that I would return it within 7 days.

When I collected it the "due back by" pages contained hundreds of date stamps which showed that an equal number of persons had been eager to read it. I was amused to see that there was a large number of lend-outs in the Leigh Park area, and wondered which recalcitrent dubs that I knew there had been secretly reading up on the WT's history.

Englishman.

• trevor
    trevor

Thanks for reminding me Java,

The 'WT Slave' book was the only book I read before jumping from the Tower.
    I remember sneaking into a library ten years before leaving to secretly take a
    peep into the mind of an evil slave. Of course I scrubbed my hands afterwards!
    I now have a copy of the book and keep it under my pillow to ward off Witnesses.
    It was one of the first of its kind and that reminds mw of one of the versus from
    a poem I wrote:

The lark who's song is best,
    Is he who sang before the rest.
    Yes! Others sang in better tune,
    But he was first and all alone,
    And his song broke the Dawn.

Sorry about that - it's one of those days ya know. By the way what happend to
    your photo - you haven't really grown horns have you!

• cocolocoii
    cocolocoii

Fred to be honest with you I think that you are just a kid.
    Your comments reflects the thoughts of a kid.
    Please if you are a good witness who follows what society says, don't come to this forum to read apostate views.
    I am a witness still, but I am very discontent with Society for the way they have handled the matters.
    Please tell the elders in your cong. that you are participating in this forum, and let see how they will treat you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit