HOW MANY JW KIDS LIKE SATURDAYS

by calamityjane 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• starfish422
    starfish422

Saturdays or Sundays either? Only one congregation went to our hall so our meeting was ALWAYS Sunday morning. So between school 5 days a week, FS on Saturday a.m. and the meeting on Sunday a.m., I never got to sleep in, except during the summer.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Yes, I dearly remember the Saturday morning field service as a child. Dragged unwillingly by my mom to parrot the latest spiel at the doors. We didn't have a television in those days and my only source of enjoyment was the radio. Anyone here remember Big John and Sparky? I'd drag my feet going out the door to hear the last of that weeks story

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

To think that we put our own children through the same thing.........

I was brought up as a JW, and having to get up when it was cold.......aaarrrggghhh, but we did it because we did not want to lose favour with brother so and so or whoever it was that my mam wanted us to impress - i remember one brother who use to walk along looking really stupid, as he use to hide his briefcase under his coat, and looked an even bigger prat for doing so .... mind you that did give us some light relief.....oh the relief that we no longer have to do that...... and my children are alot happier than ever because we do not have to worry anymore about getting up early, and the cartoon channel can stay on all morning if so desired......YIPPEEE ........I have to admit our children are alot happier being non JWs that before..... so we must be doing something right.....

Mrs Nightwarrior (bossy mum) LOL

• Freezin Friesian
    Freezin Friesian

Best part of Saturday F.S. was the breaks we took, quite frequently at the local restaurant until the old people said they would just rather get all the time they could in doing their jobs because they "did not wake up to go drink coffee". After they did a small talk about how breaks are not really needed every Saturday out in service, I kinda did not like going. Especcially when they got to the point where even for restroom breaks we used outhouses.... YUCK

Best part of Sunday was my dad would always stop at the store on the way home from the hall and get us kids all treats. :) Those are really the only ways I liked Saturdays and Sundays, though thankfully my parents were not too 'religious' about going out every weekend.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Heh, heh! As a non-Dub kid, Saturday was interesting from a kid's point of view. For some reason Mum always cooked liver and bacon for breakfast on a Saturday morning. I would wake up, take a big breath of the smell of frying liver wafting into my room, stretch and say "Ahhhhh! It's the weekend!" LOL

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

What, Stephanus, no baked beans on toast? I went to a convention in Coff's Harbour in 1970 or 1971, having recently arrived in Sydney from the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the breakfast menus were very interesting to this American teenager. "Spaghetti on toast" just didn't do it for me. I did, however, develop quite a taste for lamb's liver and mushrooms - yummy - though not for breakfast. Can't find it over here (Texas) and calves' liver is just not as good.

I'll stick to hot glazed donuts on Saturday morning, thank you!

Nina (of the God-Help-Me-If-I-Ever-Become-Diabetic Class)

• siegswife
    siegswife

You poor babies! Really, I mean that. As a non JW kid Saturday mornings meant CARTOONS and Sundays were bisquits and gravy. I feel so bad for you. I'm glad I didn't make my kids go through that more than a little bit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit