Name Something Positive About Being A Witness

by minimus 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Buster
    Buster

Friends: My congregation had anywhere between 10 and 20 kids within a year or two of my age. We could get together a game of any sort at any time. Some of those guys were the funniest people I ever knew - even 25 years later. Some were excellent athletes. We even used to go to playgrounds and challenge the worldly kids to basketball games - we'ld get out butts kicked when we went into the city.

Girls: My congregation, and some fo the surrounding halls had some of the spectacular girls. As a group, these were the best-looking girls I've ever known. A couple were the prettiest girls in their high schools - at the two proms I went to, my date was 'princess', and Vinny's (best friend) dates were a princess and a queen. These girls were at a level that wouldn't even have known my name had I not been a JW.

Independance: Believe it or not, I think they helped me to take perspective on society as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I decry the excessive separatist attitude. But I don't feel as compelled to 'go along' or agree just because that's what society does.

Skeptical view of authority: This isn't always a plus. But I did get enough insight to be able to help my daughter see the 'angle' when some of her friends tried to rope her into some religious thing or another. I let her go, but I told her exactly what to look for. When she saw it, she realized I was right (yup my teenage daughter thought I was right).

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I would never have met Big Tex if we hadn't been out pioneering. It was worth it just for that.

Nina

• alfie
    alfie

Something positive? Well, there was....no, that wouldn't qualify as positive; wearing a suit? Nah. There must be something;...oh yeah...ahh forget it; just one positive thing. C'mon, think, think. Sorry, nothing comes to mind.

Is this a trick question?

alfie

• waiting
    waiting

"No sir. I'm not here to convert you. I'm here to share the Good News of God's Kingdom with you." (as someone already posted - we learned to Theocratically Lie quite convincingly).

Jeopardy Bible questions are a breeze.

"Around the World" in the back of the Awake will make you a master of trivia without actually having to know any real information further than one paragraph.

I can sit still and not look incredibly bored for any two hours. I can also read other papers or scribble for same amount of time without getting caught.

I've not mastered going to sleep while sitting and not have my leg jerk, though. Perhaps another 10 years in Borgdom would have done it?

I learned to sell and "overcome objections."

I can sound quite authorative about stuff without knowing crap about it. Of course, that might just be a personal gift from God.

waiting

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Being a Witness helped me to question things and look a bit deeper, rather than just accept things at face value, it also gave me a wonderful mum, who's still always got time,patience, humour love and a well stocked cupboard for when I pop in and are starving any time day or night! I love her.

• waiting
    waiting

oh! oh!

I met my First Husband there - the lying, filthy, low life creep. (cleaned it up for Mouthy).

But I did get 3 fantastic kids from his loins - which is the only good thing which came out of his filthy body.

And I did meet my Second Husband there ---- and 22 years later, he's still a cutie. Fine Husband. God knows how he puts up with me.

waiting

• minimus
    minimus

You can learn the "art" of cleaning.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Buster said:

But I don't feel as compelled to 'go along' or agree just because that's what society does.

Another thing that being a JW helped me to do was to learn how to stand on my own too feet, even when I was going against the grain.

This comes from being a 5 year old not being able to sing "Happy Birthday" or to have to explain to others why I can't colour in pictures of the easter bunny. Or when I had to stand and but not sing the national anthem. When as a teenager, not being able to have any interest in the boys at school (which made some think I must have been a lesbian). And not being able to choose university courses, even though my teachers thought I was a prime candidate for university.

It helped when I was an adult in the work force, when I felt I had to say "no" to after-work functions. Or when I had to show dis-interest in guys at work that showed interest in me.

It also helped me to deal with discrimination - discrimination for being a female, for being overweight, for being smart, for being a little bit different to everyone else.

Yes, I was taught as a JW to resist peer pressure, and to realise that I didn't always have to go along with everyone else. I learnt to think for myself, despite what others may have thought about me.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Your joking,right?...OUTLAW

• mouthy
    mouthy

A big hug for waiting!!!! good girl Thank you for showing me respect---- I am sorry my love that He was that bad-----but your better off without him .>>>>As I strut out the room knowing that SOMEONE respects grey headedness.....Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit