Name Something Positive About Being A Witness

by minimus 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

• met my husband
    • by pioneering, I got over my fear of talking to men
    • public speaking, which I love
    • learned the Bible, pretty well...........at least where to find things
    • traveled to Poland, which I am sure I would never have thought of doing if it weren't for the International convention we went to there
    • gave our children a good sense of "community" (and that's the only benefit I see for them, except for two of them who met their mates at meetings
    • we always felt we could pick up a phone and call a JW, no matter where we were in the world, and would have a friend
  • Mary
    Mary

I have no fear of public speaking to this day because I joined the Ministry School at the age of 7;

I can get 100% of the bible questions on Jeopardy right.

Edited by - Mary on 17 January 2003 15:58:3

• cellomould
    cellomould

It is the TRUTH!

• Oreopandabear
    Oreopandabear

Name Something Positive About Being A Witness

• I learned how to speak in public
    • Who's who in the bible
    • How to use a highlighter
    • How to study and research

Oreo

• minimus
    minimus

And the # 1 answer is.........".I learned public speaking".

• yumbby
    yumbby

I had to get over being shy.. I had to learn maturity at a young age, how to sit still and act interested for hours...hmm I guess once I get over being bitter over all the years wasted and heartache I went through I probably could think of some more....

bitter much???

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

I learned how to shun people.

I learned to hate the world & everything in it.

I learned how to use the Bible not understand it.

I learned that every living breathing thing was wicked

and evil.

I learned that the big A is just on the horizon.

That was all in 1958--------------------

Searchin50

• nilfun
    nilfun

Mister Kotter: Okay class, can anyone name something positive about being a Witness...? Anyone?

Horshack: (raises hand excitedly) Oooh! Ooooh! Oooh! Mister Kotter! I know! I know!

Mister Kotter: (sighs) Alright Horshack, whattaya got?

Horshack: I think it's real nice the way the "sisters" always wipe down the countertops after washing their hands in the ladies room!

Epstein: (Incredulous) Maaaan, how did you manage to sneak into the girls bathroom???

Horshack: (Obnoxious laughter) Hee! Hee! Hee! Heee!

Live Studio Audience: LoL! LoL! LoL!

• Quotes
    Quotes

The Theocratic Ministry School may -- MAY, I say -- have fostered my comfort when pubic speaking and given me important "salesmanship" skills...

...but it would have been better to learn those exact same things by joining Toastmasters...or may the local Rotary or Optimists...

...on second thought, I think maybe my public speaking comfort and salesmanship is part of my personality, so I guess I didn't "learn" that from the TMS.

I guess the only thing I learned is:

1. Exactly what social factors combine to make a group a cult
    2. Introduction to Logical Fallacies 101

...and I learned all that only AFTER I LEFT!!!! And with 20/20 hindsight, I wish I could have learned them by watching the "ABC Movie of the Week"

• Brummie
    Brummie

We had a fantastic social life...JW friends all around the world, having some social event everyday of our lives, that was a positive until they all have to cut off.

It gave us the ability to communicate with strangers, be expert at cold calling, there was good times as well as bad....it taught ALL of us how to talk constantly..lol

I also think most of us have gained an insight into the mentality of cults and the folly of thinking we have got everything sorted out in life...our appreciation of freedom is stronger because of our time in mental slavery.

I think I have got a lot of positive things out of it even though the negative side of Wtachtowerism is so devastating that I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit