Name Something Positive About Being A Witness

by minimus 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hmmm...

• I learned how to argue mundane theological points for hours on end resulting in absolutely nothing productive. (Resulting in more FS time )
    • I learned how to get two hours of time while only knocking on five doors.
    • I became a Greek and Hebrew Language scholar who was so talented in translating ancient text that I didn't even have to know how the read, write or speak the languages.
    • I became an expert on every topic covered in their literature - I could "win a debate with any worldly "expert" by simply wearing him down to the point of giving up out of shear exhaustion.
    • I learned how to find the longest driving route to any given neighborhood.
    • I learned how to fall asleep at will at the beginning of a convention and automatically wake up at its conclusion.
    • I learned how to lie and blatantly contradict myself in the same breath without blinking: "No sir, I'm not here to convert you. I just want to talk to you about the bible today."
    • I learned how to shun a friend or family member on the whim of an elder - and think I was doing a good a good thing at the same time.

And the most important thing I learned while being a JW...

• I learned that I could spend 5 minutes typing a message on a forum and then report five hours of time by multiplying 5 minutes times the number of times the message was read.

Edited by - Elsewhere on 17 January 2003 11:26:4

• mouthy
    mouthy

Liberty--you post makes sense-hadn't thought of it like that...

• Valis
    Valis

I learned to read at a very young age. It sucks though that the the first books I remember are the "pink" and "blue" and "green" books. Can you figure out which ones they were?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

The most positive thing about being a Witness is the relief you feel when you are out. Kind of like when you have to pinch a loaf *really* bad, and it just feels SOOOOO good when you get to relieve yourself. <smiles primly>

CG

• Robdar
    Robdar

Their incredible fashion sense

Robyn

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Ignorance is Bliss??

Lots of Virgins.....

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Hm. I could say I learned to think for myself, but I was doing that before I became a JW. That was actually why I became a JW; nobody among my friends or family had any beliefs that were remotely similar.

I could say that it encouraged me to be honest, but I was that way before I joined up. Still am.

Yes, I did learn my way around the Bible, and like the rest of you, I mean I learned how to find verses, not how to understand them.

I could say I learned to speak before strangers, but the Theocratic School was always a breeze for me -- thanks to 6 years of public school drama classes! Which did NOT make field service -- trying to convince total strangers they were wrong about religion -- any easier. It almost always embarrassed me. I never converted anyone (thank god) and usually hated and feared it.

I was too timid to risk STDs or drug addiction when I was young and thoughtless -- even pre-JW -- and now that I'm more adventurous I'm also more careful. No crank or smack for me, thank you, and pass the latex.

I could say that as a Witness, I felt safe and cared for. And so I did -- except when I felt ashamed and guilty; "it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living god," even in imagination. And my security was false. And I used it to put off

• learning to support myself,
    • learning to use the gifts god gave me,
    • making friends -- LEARNING to make friends!,
    • teaching my kids to make their way in the world.

I could say I made friends across racial lines, and this is true; it's the only good JW thing that didn't really have its equivalent in UU. But my workplace is making up for it, all by itself, without JW help.

Yes, there were positive things about being a JW -- but the price paid for them was much too high.

Gently Feral

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Growing up a dub makes me appreciate my freedom as an adult and being dub free.

• Makena1
    Makena1

I'm with Neonmadman - "Much as it disturbs me to give the evil borg credit for anything, I must admit that I learned most of my sales skills from them. And I do currently make my living as a salesman"

Speaking from the platform and at assemblies parlayed well into speaking at business conventions, trade shows, business meetings.

Not sure if I would have taken my piano and music lessons as seriously if I had not wanted to join the assembly orchestra's. It was one of the few reasons I really looked forward to assemblies - that and meeting other young people (girls).

I probably would have never cracked open a bible if not for the WT. I get all the Bible questions right on Jeopardy, Millionaire etc. LOL Since I have read it through a few times - I can move on to other literature.

Finally, and most iimportantly, I probably would have never met my lovely wife Sabine if I had not darkened the inside of a KH.

Mak

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

you'll never forget how to tie a not in your tie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit