Simple math question for dum dums

by JH 103 Replies latest jw friends

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

P.P.S., O.K., I see. Your "1", refers to 1 Pound! Silly me!

Spanner

• larc
    larc

Girl, I am impressed - simultaneous equations and Sterling solutions. The only thing I ever used after college was algebra on rare occasions.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hey, Larc,

How about algebraic simultaneous sterling equation solutions?

Spanner

• Farkel
    Farkel

eyeslice,

: As in most things in life things are never black and white.

Wrong. Everything in life is black or white.

: Your journey took you 1.1/2 hours, mine took only 1.1/3 but we both travelled half at 100mph and a half at 50mph.

: Problem we have is defining what the half is!

That's YOUR problem: incomprehension. The puzzle clearly said that the trip was 100 miles long and half the trip was at a speed of 100 mph and half the trip was at a speed of 50 mph. "Half the trip" is just that: half (50 miles) of the trip. DOH!

At 100 mph you cover a distance of 50 miles in a half hour (half the trip). At 50 mph you cover a distance of 50 miles in an hour (the other "half" of the "trip.")

The trip lasted 1.5 hours. Therefore the average speed is 66 2/3 mph. Period. Your lame excuses for being wrong are nothing more than lame excuses for being wrong.

Farkel

• thewiz
    thewiz

without looking past the 3 reply (Stan Conroy's) to this POST

I will say 50mph

1'st - 1/2 h = 50 miles

2'nd 1/2 = another 50 miles

effectively ALWAYS going 50 mph then the average is 50mph

lets see if i got this right

BTW if my Aunt had BALLS who would she be?

• Swan
    Swan

Here is a tricky one based on U.S. currency. You have two coins equaling 55 cents and one is not a nickle. What are they?

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Swan,

A half-dollar and a nickel. You did say,

one is not a nickle

The half-dollar is not a nickel. (it's not even a nickle !)

Spanner

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Thewiz,

BTW if my Aunt had BALLS who would she be?

She'd still be your Aunt, even if she does have eye balls, likes dancing and sells tennis balls at the local store!

Spanner

• Swan
    Swan

Spanner you are correct. The fifty cent piece is not a nickle and the other coin is a nickle. I think this came from one of my computer systems classes many years ago. I know one of our instructors used to pose questions like this to get us to think outside the box and try to look at all of the angles of a problem. He used to give us lots of logic problems too.

Good work!

Tammy

• Farkel
    Farkel

thewiz,

: will say 50mph

If you averaged even 1 mile over 50 mph for the period of the trip, let alone 100 mph. (which is DOUBLE 50 mph) and your lowest speed on the trip (as per the puzzle) was 50 mph, you would HAVE to average MORE than 50 mph on the trip.

What part of these simple facts do you not comprehend?

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit