Simple math question for dum dums

by JH 103 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

eyeslice, you make a good point. I took the question to mean distance being one half. The reason I chose this is because this is the kind of trick question that teachers love to give. I suppose a teacher would be delighted if a student gave both answers. Here is a question for one and all. If a 60 foot telephone pole fell across a 30 foot wide road, how much of the pole would not be on the road?

Edited by - larc on 16 January 2003 10:7:26

• JH
    JH
    If a 60 foot telephone pole fell across a 30 foot wide road, how much of the pole would not be on the road?

It depends if the pole fell straight with the road, or perpendicular to the road.

If it fell perpendicular, 30 feet is on the road and 30 feet in the field.(some on the sidewalk)

• larc
    larc

Well, no one bit on my math question. The question can not be answered. We don't know at what angle the pole feel, so we can't know how much of it is off the road. Now here is one that can be answered. There are five in a family. Three of the five are first born. How can that be?

• Francois
    Francois

Two trains are a hundred miles apart.
    Train A is traveling at 60 mph. Train B is traveling at 40 mph.
    At the exact instant the trains are 100 miles apart, a bee, flying at 75 mph flies from train A to train B. Upon reaching train B, it executes a perfect turnaround losing no time and returns to train A. The bee repeats this process until he's squashed between the two trains.

How far did the bee fly?

francois

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Larc,

Your family question - depends on the definition of a family. An extended family could be grandfather (a firstborn), son (a firstborn) and grandson (a firstborn) plus any other 2!

Another one for you. A man points at another man and says

"brothers and sister have I none but this man's father is my father's son"

what is happening here?

eyeslice

Edited by - eyeslice on 16 January 2003 10:22:49

• JH
    JH

Francois,

The trains will collide in 1 hour, so the bee has 1 hour of flying to do. since it flies at 75 mph, it will travel 75 miles.

75 miles

Edited by - jh on 16 January 2003 10:30:25

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Francois - are the trains travelling in the same direction, or towards each other? If travelling in the same direction, is A in front, or bee?

• larc
    larc

In my question, let us exclude extended family. In your question, the man could be referring to himself.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Let me remember my equivalents - a kilometer is 6/10 of a mile

• Scully
    Scully

1 mile = 1.6 kilometer; conversely 1 kilometer = 0.6 miles

Love, Scully

PS: How many animals did Moses take on the ark?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit