Who here is shunned by family?

by Brummie 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• MsJam
    MsJam

I didnt' have any fleshly family that shunned me. Just my ex hubby's family. They went so far as to call me worthless. Something that I still carry with me.Even though I know it's not true, it really hurt,and damaged my self-worth. The thing that gets me ...is he was the one running around on me! They just didn't want to see a tarnished image of him.

We haven't seen them in over 2 years (my children and I) But they do make a lame attempt to keep in contact with their grandchildren. But like their father, they don't fit the mold anymore so they have little use for them.It's just a hard situation to explain to an 8 and a 10 year old.And it's obviously one that makes me pretty p***ed off !

I'm one of the lucky ones that all of my family was on the outside of the org. What a happy day it was when I didn't have to keep them at arms distance anymore.I grieve for those who do lose family,I feel it is a high crime that they will have to pay for...and I'm glad I won't be standing in their shoes!

((((((hugs to all))))) JAM

• yecats
    yecats

Hi

I am responding to this topic, because my family are all jw's and being the only one in a very big family that can think for herself is not considered an advantage or apprieciated. My dad died a couple of days ago and the rest of my family let me know that even though I am not disfellowshipped I will be treated as if I am. Can you believe that even at a time like this they had a family meeting to decide how they all would treat us? How twisted is that?? I will never understand how they can actually believe that God condones the ripping apart of families. I was baptised at 14 and had no idea that my trying to make my parents proud and happy would be a burden and source of pain for the rest of my life. But here I am reliving the nitemare that is the jw religion as I plan to go to the funeral I pray to the God I know loves me and forgives me to give me strength to face the meaness of a family gone mad with self rightousnes. I thought I had put all this behind me but it all came back when I talked to them again. I have not seen anyone in my family for 6 years. My mom would e-mail me once in a great while. I have two girls that they ignore just because they had the bad luck to be related to me. It is terrible what people do in the name of God! Don't you think???

• yecats
    yecats

GeddyLee,

Hi I am new to the site But I just posted my first time a few mnutes ago, and I was reading everyone elses thoughts on the subject and I wanted to applaud your attitude. It would be so funny the way they over react if it was'nt so sad!!!

• Brummie
    Brummie

WELCOME yecats, very happy to meet you here! How sorry to hear of your father, yes it is DISGUSTING that even under one of lifes saddest events they can still treat you in such a way and have to get together to decide how to treat you!!!!!!!! Yes thats TWISTED cultic thinking!...grrr

What a heavy burden you have had to carry, I do hope you have someone who supports you in such times as this? I would recommend you post your story on a new thread on this site so that everyone here can get to know you and offer support, there will be those here who have similar if not the same experience as you, you never know what valuble thoughts they might have to share with you in this hard time.

I see you are from the USA? I have a freind in the UK who left the JWs 6 years ago, has 2 little girls, and her entire family is in the JWS...he dad is the overseer of the cong. NOT ONE member of her family has left the org. Sounds so similar to you...your not from UK are you?

Hey take care, looking forward to hearing more from you.

Brummie

• Brummie
    Brummie
    JES>>>>and will have it in my will for NONE of my JW family to come to my funeral.

yumbby its time for them to make the apologies and come begging back, not me.

Loved both your attitudes on this!

MsJam, thanks for sharing, I guess its just as hard to lose anyone, whether freind or family, depending how close we were to them. Glad you shared, feel very sorry for your children, THAT always makes me angry how they will ignore the kids too.

Thanks for sharing.

Brummie

• yecats
    yecats

Hi, I found you and the thread you were talking about. Ya! I have never been to the UK. But your friend and I have a lot in common, my dad was also an elder,and everyone from my past nitemares will be at the funeral. My parents stayed with the same KH since I was 5. I would like to meet everyone and hear thier advise. This is the greatest site. I thank the genious who started it! I left you a message on the first posting. Just ignore the, what thread part. ok? I went to the page were everyone was posting pictures but I don't have a clue at this time how that works, but in time I will figure that out also. Thanks again!

Stacey

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

This topic has been discussed before on this website, and to great length. Actually, this very subject was handled quite recently. For those newbies unaware, you may find another thread dedicated to this topic to be interesting.

For your perusal:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit