Epigenetics and Why Women are Stripey

by cofty 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Xanthipppe,

As far as I have read, it can even mean the way you treat or are treated by others. Emotions are said to have an effect on epigenetics, including our relationships and the way we interact with our loved ones. Is not necessarily all that impossible. There is this thing called philematology or also known as the science of the kiss. It attempts to explain that there is a level of hormonal exchange between people when they kiss. Other fields, which I can not remember the name of, also attempt to explain the same exchange in other gestures, like holding hands. So I understand that philematology and epigenetics are not the same things, but it explains mechanisms of interaction with the outside world that are not fully understood.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I find genetics fascinating. It's not always the gene, but how that gene is expressed.

I have a cat like the one in the video. She is a tortishell dilute with white. Both torties and calicos have one black color gene and one orange color gene, and as they said, are almost always female. In Lizzie's case she also carries the dilute gene, which distributes the color more along the hair shaft, making the color lighter, grey and peach instead of orange and black. She has one white spotting gene. White is not a color gene, like black or orange, but something that overlays the color, no color equals white. If she had two white spotting genes, she would have more white and the colored patches would be larger, making her a calico. You can see where two two colors switched, often it is down the spine, and down the front of her face. She has what they call a split face. Some split face cats have two different color eyes, it is somehow connected to the coat color.

She is also the smartest cat I have ever known. She does a number of tricks, likes to steal things and is always trying to think of ways to get me. She lays in wait under the bed and grabs my ankles, and sneaks up behind me while I am sitting on the couch and smacks my head. She will patiently wait for me to get in bed and run up the moment the covers start to come dow, reach her paws in and goose me, then run off like a bat out of hell. I'd like to know what gene causes that.

• GodZoo
    GodZoo
    LisaRose2 minutes agoI have a cat like the one in the video.

But does she like ice cream???

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    cofty22 minutes ago
    ...meanwhile on the fascinating topic of genetics...

Sorry, english is not my native language and sometimes I find myself realizing that I not getting the meaning of certain phrases. What exactly does the above mean?
  • Syme
    Syme

Cofty, I've read that epigenetics somehow vindicates Lamarck. Of course, evolutionary textbooks referred to Lamarckism as a theory that is proved completely wrong. Could this new discovery be used by the creationists in their struggle to convince that evolutionary biologists made a mistake in their rejection of Lamarckism, and hence that Darwinian evolution is not to be considered completely stable?

P.S. Thanks for the video :)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Lizzie doesn't like most people food, she loves her some meow mix, but will eat ice cream and guacamole.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Cancer, diabetes, etc. I doubt it though, that the medical field is going to invest the time and money this field deserves. There is no money in taking care of people. Modern medicine does not cure root causes, it manages symptoms.

Actually they are very close to a drug that will harness you immune system to fight cancer. Currently your body does not recognize cancer cells as being foreign, the cancer cells fool your immune system into thinking they are just normal cells. The drug binds to the protein on the cancers cells, which then makes them visible to your immune system.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20130516/new-drug-may-help-immune-system-fight-cancer

• cofty
    cofty

Syme - No there does not seem to be any hope of saving Lamarck's work. He was just wrong.

Nothing we do or our parents did will produce new genes. A giraffe can spend every hour of every day stretching for that leaf that is just out it's reach. It will not produce baby giraffes with longer necks. However the activation of genes is affected by a cascade of triggers that are also coded in our genome. For a fascinating introduction to epigenetics try "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" by Sean B. Carroll

• cofty
    cofty
    ... or "The Epigenetics Revolution" by Nessa Carey
  • cofty
    cofty

LisaRose - Thank you for that. She's a nice cat.

It reminds me of a discussion I read about whether a zebra is a white animal with black stripes or vice-versa.

Damn I can't remember the answer and now I will have to read it again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit