Watchtower publications and Copyright Law

by Jourles 12 Replies latest jw friends

• abbagail
    abbagail

Great thread, Jourles, and thanks for the copyright list, Nathan. Seems the publications they do keep track of are their "company secrets," such as the Daily Text and Kingdom Ministry, both of which usually explain to the JWs how to go out there and do their preaching. But from that list, I only saw one book (Isaiah) listed. So all their other books could be publicly re-printed on the web?

Also interesting were the comments about the non-profit
    "profits" v. companies "for profit." I'd like to hear a legal opinion on that.

I wonder how "strict" the news agencies are about their copyrighted articles? Since I collect news articles, I'm always wondering about that as many of them have the copyright symbol at the bottom. I was told by a friend who publishes a quarterly newsletter, that if you just change the wording of an article a little, that then you are "safe" as far as copyright. I wonder if I just reworded the headlines if that would work?

LOL @ ascot!
    I wonder what the answer to that is?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Grits asked,

But from that list, I only saw one book (Isaiah) listed. So all their other books could be publicly re-printed on the web?

No no no! US copyright protection is given to ANY publication, and currently runs for a 95 year term. As Jourles outlines, publications from earlier times may have had less protection.

Today's "Kingdom Ministry" will not become public domain until 2098 - and that's assuming that the term is not further extended by 2098. The same applies to any books not mentioned on that list - assume a 95 year term unless you are pretty darned sure its otherwise.

But the "fair use" doctrine is our umbrella and our protector - portions of a work can be quoted for educational purposes.

Primarily the copyright law is intended to protect the holder's economic interests (his right to PROFIT from his work), not to shelter false prophets.

Caveat lector!

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 15 January 2003 18:47:16

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Thanks for the link Mike047, now I don't have to worry about it, I was going to pull out all the books in storage, to find it, however I still may do that, as I think it's the one before 1991, From memory it's the 1981edition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit