Jehovah's people are the happiest people on earth!

by Coded Logic 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

So this afternoon my roommate and I decided to go grab some dinner from the local Chipotle and, as we live only a short distance from the franchise, we decided it was a good idea to walk. Little did I know that the J-dubs district convention here in Sacramento was just getting out (the auditorium is literally smack in the middle of downtown and its attendees have to park in garages scattered a couple blocks away in every direction) so men in cheap suits and women in unflattering dress' were walking all over the place as though someone had antagonized their ungodly ant hill. And, for Sacramento, this of course is the complete opposite of the normative - that is to say, our streets are usually filled with well dressed, immaculately groomed, 'I know exactly where I'm going' government officials that monopolize the state capitol M-F.

However, the greatest difference between the JWs and the locals was that the JWs looked absolutely miserable. I mean genuinely beat down and completely drained of all life. I felt really sorry for them (I know what three days of mental atrophy can do to a person's mind) and I thought that perhaps I was just reading too much into their sullen faces - and hunched postures - and slow, mindless, collective shuffling. However, it was then that my roommate piped up and asked me, "Are those Jehovah's Witnesses?"

I said yes and he said, "Oh my God, they look so miserable!"

I explained to him the effects that a weekend of nonstop - eye bleeding - thought stifling indoctrination with an extra helping of al-a-boredom can have on these poor people. And also how the JWs have a kindergarten grade theology compared to most Christian denominations so that, beyond "go out in service, don't miss meetings, and read everything the borg gives you (and nothing else)", there really isn't anything new under the sun for these people to learn.

Also, by a stroke of luck, I happened to be wearing my shirt with a quote from Christopher Hitchens, "That which can be asserted without evidence - can be dismissed without evidence."

I caught a number of the JWs reading it with bemused faces. One younger guy must have spent almost a full two minutes silently lipping the words to himself as though it were a completely foreign idea to him. Who knows, maybe it'll get him to think about things in a new light. That just because you can make up an answer to a question it doesn't mean that IS the answer to the question. That just because you can make up an elaborate excuse for why some Bible passages may not contradict itself it doesn't mean that it's not in fact a contradiction.

Anyway between my shirt, my burrito anticipating happy face, and the directions I gave to a lost sister who was on K Street and couldn't find L Street (seriously, do you not know how the alphabet works?), I hope some of them realize that not all "worldly people" are bad people. And that happiness is not unique to - if not altogether uncommon - among Jehovah's Witnesses.

• SuziDrums
    SuziDrums

Sounds like a good place for my "Plato's Cave Search and Rescue Team" t-shirt.

(Back: Bringing You to the Light Since 380 BC)

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012
    L street has always been hard to find from K street. Geez! You know that. :)
  • smiddy
    smiddy

If Jehovah`s Witnesses are the happiest people on earth , I would hate to meet the saddest people on earth.

Hang on maybe I already have ,

Whats the difference between a Zombie and a Jehovah`s witness ?

smiddy

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Whats the difference between a Zombie and a Jehovah`s witness?

A Jehovah`s Witness has a sense of humour. Umm, wait.

A Jehovah`s Witness works hard and contributes to society. Umm, wait.

A Jehovah`s Witness is sensually attractive. Umm, wait.

A Jehovah`s Witness is able to think for himself. Umm, wait.

A Jehovah`s Witness cares about this life. Umm, wait.

A Jehovah`s Witness has intelligent, inspirational leadership. Umm, wait.

A Jehovah`s Witness dresses in a contemporary manner. Umm, wait.

A Jehovah`s Witness is capable of having a rational conversation. Umm, wait.

A Jehovah`s Witness does not want to infect you with the same virus that made him what he is. Umm, wait.

Okay, I give up. What is the difference?

• steve2
    steve2

Berrygerry - very cool!

• cofty
    cofty

I remember talking to a couple who were studying in Dalkeith congregation near Edinburgh. They had just been to their first convention at Murrayfield. Their observation was that everybody looked so serious and unhappy.

I was shocked because it was true.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan
    How come that witnesses are described this way: men in cheap suits and women in unflattering dress whereas in Scandinavia the witnesses are described as being modern, yet modest but never in the way stated above... Do American witnesses have poor taste compared to their Scandinavian counterparts?
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Jehovah's people are the happiest people on earth!

Well, with that amount of meds they're bound to be.

They're obviously not...........otherwise they wouldn't need to be reminded that they are.

beyond "go out in service, don't miss meetings, and read everything the borg gives you (and nothing else)", there really isn't anything new under the sun for these people to learn.

A true dat!

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    How come that witnesses are described this way: men in cheap suits and women in unflattering dress whereas in Scandinavia the witnesses are described as being modern, yet modest but never in the way stated above... Do American witnesses have poor taste compared to their Scandinavian counterparts?

Many in the younger crowd are quite fashion aware, they know how to dress and spend a lot of money on nice clothes... I don't know what the norm is over there in America but here most of the younger brothers have matching tie and handkerchief sets etc..

Tony probably has to come over here and go on a tight pants rant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit