Who joined another religion

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

For a short while I was a Baptist, but after being called a "hardhead" for asking questions and hearing the minister say he's an alcoholic (apparently recovering alcoholics are told to call themselves one from the time they begin treatment), I quit going. Officially I suppose I still am one.

I'm not sure yet how to reconcile the things I read on the OT and NT about God, like the massacres of the ancient peoples commanded by him when Israel invaded new lands, with Christ's words about peace, turning the other cheek, and so on. Paul, in 1 Cor. 7:9 makes marriage (God's holy institution?) sound like the lesser of two evils compared to being inflamed with passion. Yet he said he was a Pharisee, "educated...at the feet of Gamaliel (Acts 22:3)," and according to a WT article one of their beliefs was "he that does not marry is not a proper man."

I know a lot of the problem isn't with the Bible (some is, but not all) so much as it is with how people have chosen to implement it--supressing other religions and cultures, justifying conquest and robbery and bloodshed in His name, and so on, over time. Maybe I feel a love-hate thing for it...the pull is there, but I still haven't figured out "why" I want to be religious, and until I do, I'll research some, checking out this and that, and maybe the answer will come.

Sometimes I think no formal system will satisfy me--best try to live the best I can based on what I get out of the Bible. I know religion is partly a social activity for people but I feel doctrines matter more, has to be the greater weight, for me personally. Not throwing stones here.

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

I consider myself against all "organized religion". I believe a person can be close to God and Jesus without the "help" of a religion that claims to get you there faster.

Peace Out!

• rocketman
    rocketman

Sometimes, I think about trying out another religion (of course, if I were found out, I'd be considered disassociated). But in realty, I am not very religously inclined anyway. I've never prayed much at all, and I think being religious kind of begins with that. If I don't want to talk with God, why bother with the rest of it?

http://www.rocketman44.blogspot.com

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

No way could I ever join another religion or organisation - Religion as the witnesses say causes war, the JW's do the same but in a different way !

I am lookin' at my options peeps ! I am thinking or wiccan and going back to the celts - being British I have to go back to my roots which is the celts either that or buddism they are always chilled out !

Good luck to you all !

• LB
    LB

Not me, I'm done with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit