Why some stays inside the JW

by beroea 20 Replies latest jw friends

• beroea
    beroea

Hello to everyone. I was posting a little on the old H2O but have taking a break before going to this new room – only watching for a while. I’m still an active JW and elder here in Europe - a long way from you in the USA and also another culture even inside the JW. I think we in Europe as JWs are thinking a little different from the JWs in the U.S. We don’t put religious authorities as high as I think you do. This means we try to follow our own common sense. That’s maybe a wrong thought (after the opinion of the Borg), but that’s what we do or at least some and growing numbers are doing. Maybe that’s the reason to the statistic decrease in efforts and numbers. Don’t misunderstand this statement. It’s only a view on a historical point.

Back to headline. Why do some take so long times to make up their mind about their relationship to JW? Some of you says, “Make up your mind” or “Make a decision” or similar sentence.

But if you want to share thoughts and debate with people with different opinions please be patience with us. If you just show anger and hate we will disappear one by one. We do know we are on dangers ground making debate and sharing our deepest thought on this board. A lot of you are DF or DA and you do know “the system” and being an elder too talking to you makes it even worse. Please don’t misunderstand me. I have nothing against you what ever you are - if you behave well and debate civilise and with respect, but the Borg don’t like it – but I don’t care. In fact I do see a lot of caring people but a lot with bad JW experience. I don’t blame you but the system doing this to many.

So why do we stay and not just quit tomorrow. I don’t know for all – we are in different situations. A lot of us have wife/husband and some have even children as well. Having strange thought and even serious doubts about 607/1914, GB, ECT is hard to faces and takes times – sometimes years. Even I say to my self, “I don’t believe this nonsense” my family is still there. They are afraid of all the new thoughts. Your doubts are a threat to them and the family union. So a lot of felling is a part of the discussions. So very often you just have to shout you mount and lets times go on and hope for better to come.

So lets share opinion not only about the past of all the bad experience. Lets have a little debate of what to do in the future being a disciple of Chris or trying to be that.

Beroea

• Gopher
    Gopher

Beroea,

Welcome to the board! Thank you for sharing honest opinions about your situation, and why you might need to be cautious and stay inside the organization at the present time.

I truly hope we don't scare anyone away. I am happy when people are bold enough to post their stories and share their honest concerns. You have not positioned yourself as an apologist for the Society. No, you are very honest about its weakness and I appreciate that!

I look forward to the 'interchange of encouragement' out here with you, and I'm sure most others feel the same way. You're probably finding a cross-section of belief out here: from atheism all the way to born-again Christianity. What binds us together is the search each one must make for freedom and intellectual honesty in their spiritual life. That allows for a diverse range of views.

Hope we can talk more.

Gopher

• Moxy
    Moxy

welcome beroea. look forward to more interesting observations from europe.

can you tell us more about how you think the JWs in your country have a different outlook than north america?

mox

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Beroea,
    Welcome bro. You and I are walking the same tightrope. I look forward to your thoughts. You describe an atmosphere in Europe I envy. After many years of serving in the congregation the Borg as gone more right while I have gone more left. I have been able to survive with an intact conscience but I can see I am a short distance from exposure. Hope you do better. Keep in touch.
    Jst2laws

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

Hi Beroea,

Nice to see you posting again. I always enjoyed your posts on the old H20. I hope you like it here, I have found it to be quite pleasurable. I really enjoy the Live Chat, hope to talk with you in there sometime, if the time change isn't too much of a difference.

I have a question, are you still an elder? You might have mentioned it earlier, but I will ask anyway.

Look forward to reading more from you.

OB

• trevor
    trevor

Beroea,

You state that: 'I think we in Europe as JWs are thinking a little different
    from the JWs in the U.S. We don’t put religious authorities as high as I think you do.
    This means we try to follow our own common sense.'

It is the experience of most of us here that sense is
    by-no-means common among Jehovah's Witnesses,
    particularly Elders. To remain a Witness it is neccessary
    to abandon all rational thought and blindly follow the leaders.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Welcome to the board Beroea,
    Glad to see an active witness isn't afraid to participate. You present some valid points.
    TW

• Liberated
    Liberated

Hi Beroea,

I could have used support from an elder such as yourself, before I left. But how would we have known one another even in the same congregation? The few elders I spoke with quickly aligned themselves all the way with the organization, so I backed away from any meaningful discussion with them. The one jw who was able to draw me out by pretending she was having problems too, went straight to the elders with what I said.

So who are you able to help where you are? If they come to you with questions about wts teachings that you disagree with, what do you tell them? If they are feeling empty inside and aren't getting any spiritual encouragement from the meetings, what do you advise them to do? If they don't feel close to God and can't pray to him, if they haven't read their daily text in years, if they feel forced to attend meetings, if they are tired of shoving magazines off on people who don't really want them.......how do you shepherd these, how do you encourage or comfort them?

Libby
    who chewed off her foot to get out of the trap
    and is now of the liberated class

• beroea
    beroea

To OrangeBlossom

Yes, I'm still an elder, but thinking about to quit. Times will tell. My wife doesn't want me to quit. I think she is afraid it will be just a step before the next and final. But anyway I haven't make up my mind so I just try for the time being to live with the job as elder.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi and welcome Beroean,
    Nice to see you back! regards,tina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit