Lost My Job

by Yizuman 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I used to work at a retail store and had a manager who was an asshole too.

What is it with retail and the WTS that attracts assholes?

Is it because these are pathetic losers who like power trips?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Hey, you need to appeal. You cannot be fired for wanting to improve yourself. The reason given on the slip was not true. Fight this. Go to Human Resources and ask how to appeal. You have your employment record to defend!

Call an attorney, Wal Mart has deep pockets, Pro Bono, baby!

Edited by - thichi on 10 January 2003 16:12:6

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Jesika - Ps. Why don't you check back with the company that was calling wanting references?? They at least sound interested. You could maybe let them know what happened and that you are in need of a job now if they have a postion open for you.

I just did, checked my email after I calmed down from crying and got this from them...

1-10-2003

Neal:

I have reveiwed your resume and thank you for your interest in Marsh Supermarkets. At the present time we do not have any positions available that fit your particualr job skills and experience. Thank you for considering Marsh as a potential employer, we will keep your resume on file for future consideration.

Sincerely,

David M. Redden
    Senior Vice President
    Human Resources

DMR/mb

Now I wonder what Rod said to them???

Man, this blows

Edit: I'll call them Monday and see what they say....

Yizuman

Edited by - Yizuman on 10 January 2003 16:12:55

• shera
    shera

Sorry Yiz,he sounds like an elder! Our way or out.You spoke your mind and they didn't like it.

Hope things look better for you soon.You didn't deserve to be treated like that at all.Does your store have a human resource?

Hugs

Heather

• Xander
    Xander

Yeah, if you can prove they didn't hire you because of something he said, you can SUE THEIR (Wal-Marts) ASSES OFF.

That's why companies like The Limited won't give references. When my wife was managing, if someone called in asking for a reference for a former employee, al they were allowed to say was 'yes, they worked here' or 'no, they did not'. Such restriction was exactly for that reason - if someone slanders you when called for a reference, you can sue off THEIR asses, and the asses of the company they were speaking in behalf off.

Wal-mart does have very deep pockets, and they know full well cases like this have been lost a lot. They'll probably just settle, but I'm sure the amount they would offer would compensate you quite well.

Trick is, you gotta make sure that's why the companies didn't hire you. Call a lawyer, ask them how to proceed. Your boss sounds like the kind of jerk that would do something that would get him in DEEP legal trouble (he already has, but it's a much harder case to make - the bad reference thing is open and shut, though).

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Seems like a hostile work enviroment to me, talk to an attourney, and file for unemployment, also talk to HR, this guy has someone above him. If you have to go above local hr, and go to corporate.

• outnfree
    outnfree

(((((Sorry, Yizu))))))

All I can say is "Move fast" -- if it's only 3:27 CST where you are, call HR this afternoon. And an attorney, too! And find out what time unemployment opens on Monday morning. Good luck!

outnfree

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

You state in the thread below you fully expected to get fired for missing far too many days and showing up late to work. If his reason was indeed your looking for a new job he was wrong, but if it were based on your history as you tell it, I most likely would have fired my employee as well.

I hope you find employment soon.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=42692&site=3&page=2

edit, to fix link

Edit to add

I state this so you may look at the entire picture you as you stated it. Perhaps the firing came as a coincidence on the day a potential new employer called. I cannot stand mangers who believe themselves to be above scrutiny and will fire based on their like or dislike of a particular employee. I really hope that you not see my comment as a disparaging remark but perhaps one you can look upon think of for future job situations.

Depression sucks as I have been there and know the constant headache it brings and days that can feel so much longer then they really are. Sincerely hope your future is brighter.

Edited by - cassiline on 10 January 2003 17:24:27

• Prisca
    Prisca

(((((Yizu)))))

As the others have said, call the HR Dept and see if what they did was legal. Fortunately here in Australia we have strict Dismissal laws, even though companies will find ways around them.

Is there some free legal aid you can contact? Find out what your rights are.

Whilst it's still fresh in your mind, write down EVERYTHING that you said to your manager, and what he said to you. Find out who's got that piece of paper where the questions were written down, and hopefully it will have your conversation on it.

So sorry that this has happened. It's quite possible this is the opportunity you've been looking for to find a better job. You now have more time to look for jobs. Also, be honest with potential employers about why you left WalMart. Don't act like you've got something to hide or be ashamed of. Because you haven't.

Good luck!

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Don't let the "Higly trained managers" at walmart give a valid impression of how people run business. Walmart is only in business because of its prices, not its quality in customer service. Not to dix on Yizu, but Walmart blows. I get a headache everytime I go in there, so I avoid it like the plague.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit