Military Service Anyone?

by email 32 Replies latest jw friends

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

Joined the Navy 6 months after I DA'd myself. I stayed in for 10 years, went to the Gulf War and many other places. I wouldn't trade it for anything and would do it again in a second.

-Rick

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I took the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Apptitude Battery) test to get out of classes for 3 hours in High school. Scored way up there, percentile wise.

By graduation time I was getting weekly calls from all branches asking me to enlist. Then one day I got a registered letter from the Navy. The Navy was willing to provide a 4 year college scholarship. I would be commisioned as an Naval or USMC officer at graduation... (there was a little fine print-but ya'all got the big picture?) A day or so after the letter I got a phone call too.

I really did'nt talk about this with the folks (or anyone else) as I knew what they would say, being in an Elder level family. But I had to think about it, and I did for a week or so. I actually called to find out what the vision standard was for aviation and if my natural eyesight was better I probably would have gone for it. I couldnt make the cut for aviation, so I did the "right" 'dub thing and turned it down.

When I look back I regret it. Four years of college for an eight year military commitment. If I would have taken the offer I could be retired today. 20 years of service - drawing the pension of a Lt. Commander or maybe Commander, plus the background and experience to work a good civilian job for another 20 years. I guess I cant complain cause I hve had a good life- maybe I made a good decision for the "wrong" ( active witness) reason.

I was a bit of a "closet " patriot too. If drafted, I think I would have served intead of fighting for an exemption. I never cared to pioneer, etc. so I would have had a hard time getting a ministers exemption and I never warmed up to the idea of prison so I would have gone to military service if drafted.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Yeru,

I see your point, but I just don't understand how all of these things are due to the fact that the state is Democratic. If it were Republic would it be different? Could not a different Democratic govenor make the same changes?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit