I am a Former Addict

by Robdar 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Robyn, you are doing one of the best, and hardest, things you will ever do for yourself and your family. You should be very proud.

My husband, an 18 year pack-a-day smoker, recently quit (3 months, 9 days and counting) using Zyban to jumpstart his quitting process as well. I won't say it's been easy or fun for him (or for ME for that matter!), but the sense of accomplishment he's gained has been worth every difficult moment. They say that for nicotine addicts the quitting process can be as difficult as that of giving up heroin. I'm inclined to agree with them after watching the first few weeks of my husband's 'cigarette-sobriety'. The headaches, sweats, and shakes were just as bothersome as any hollywood depiction of a junkie without their fix. There were days when it would have been easier to just tell him to "go and have a cigarette already!" than to deal with the highs and lows. Gradually, the playing field levels, and the benefits are almost immediate. I can't tell you how nice it is to kiss this man I love, and for the first time in five years not taste the last cigarette he smoked. My house smells so clean and fresh, our clothes no longer smell of ashes, and I haven't had a cold or runny nose in three months! On Christmas Day, I opened a small box he'd wrapped that contained only a note that said "the rest of my life, smoke free". Best present I've ever received.

No one will ever be able to tell me that people who can't quit smoking are just lazy. I'm not sure everyone could fight their way through the addiction and win. You have a great start, congratulations and best of luck in each coming day. You can do it!

• Makena1
    Makena1

Congratulations Robyn - for making the decision to quit. In my experience, the process runs the gamit from misery to "hey, that wasn't so bad".

Sabine and I picked up a pack of cigs a couple of years ago. (we are in our 40's) We are what some people would call social smokers. 2-3 cigs a day - a few more if we are at a club. I have gone days without lighting up and did not experience any craving. Kinda outta sight outta mind - but I suppose even that could change.

The one thing we have noticed is that our appetite for food has gone down a lot. Do you think this is related to even the few cigs we consume a day?

Anyway, we do NOT smoke in the house - and otherwise practise good oral hygiene. : )

If we end up getting together with you and your husband while you are in Seattle - we will refrain from lighting up if it at all bothers you!

Hugs,

Mak

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Robyn:

We are so proud of you!!!!!! We have never smoked but I have seen my family members struggle with the habit.

WAY TO GO GIRL!!!!

• Robdar
    Robdar

I am proud to say, I have kept true to my self-promise. I am proud of meeeee, tooooo!

(((((Estee)))))),

Way to go!!! Another blessing of motherhood, yes? Thank God for our babies and thank you for your post.

I just made 1 year since I quit and I feel so alive and free!!!

Soledad,

Congratulations on your first anniversary. Here's to many, many more....Cheers! Thanks for posting.

I can't tell you how nice it is to kiss this man I love, and for the first time in five years not taste the last cigarette he smoked.

Sara Annie,

Your story inspires me. It was daydreams of kissing that got me to thinking about what I must taste like after a cig. Not to mention what my breath must have been like. Congratulations to your husband and to you too. Thank you for your comments.

If we end up getting together with you and your husband while you are in Seattle - we will refrain from lighting up if it at all bothers you!

Mak,

Thank you for offering to abstain but there is no need because my husband smokes. Besides, I do not want to interfere with your fun. And I need to learn to survive graciously in the land of the smoker. I never want to be one of those prissy x-smokers that stops you on the street or in a bar and tells you "that cigarette is gonna kill ya" Ugh!!! I can't stand those people. LOL Hey, I am looking forward to meeting you and Sabine next week. Thank you for responding to my thread.

Sheila,

When we met at the coffee house a couple of weeks ago, I felt so awkward going outside to have my cigarette. You and Thunderrider were so much fun and I felt that my cig breaks disrupted some of that fun. Let's do it again soon, okay? Oh, are you guys coming to see my show tomorrow? Tell Thunderrider, my will is strong and he will not cause me to lose character, I don't care how many times he moons me and the good people at Starbucks!

Thank you all of you, for sharing your stories and advice. Most of all, I appreciate your encouragement. When I felt like smoking today, one of the things I did to distract myself was read your posts. It helped me very much.

Love,

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 10 January 2003 19:10:31

Edited by - robdar on 10 January 2003 19:18:16

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Good job Robyn.

I am off cigs for a month now. I don't even think about them. In my mind I am a non-smoker, simple as that.

I think that your internal dialogue is the most important thing when you are trying to quit. If you tell yourself that you're dying for a cigarette and that you're never going to make it, then you won't. Stand up to that self-defeating inner voice. Tell it, I AM A NON-SMOKER NOW!!! SO GET LOST YOU BADDY!!!!

• Robdar
    Robdar

I think that your internal dialogue is the most important thing when you are trying to quit. If you tell yourself that you're dying for a cigarette and that you're never going to make it, then you won't. Stand up to that self-defeating inner voice.

Dantheman,

You are 100% correct about the internal dialogue. And it is amazing some of the excuses our brains will come up with to have its nicotine fix. I find myself yelling outloud at myself that I am no longer a smoker and I will never smoke again. (I am the only one here during the day, except for critters)

Congratulations on your month anniversary. Thank you for posting.

Robyn

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Robyn,

CONGRATS! Way to go!!!

Seeing the movie "The Insider" with Russell Crowe was enough to ruin any thought about smoking for me. I'm glad I never took it up for I see how difficult it is to quit once you're hooked.

cheers,

back2dafront

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit