I am a Former Addict

by Robdar 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

I quit smoking 3 days ago. It was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I have tried to break the habit before but always gave up, thinking that I was hopelessly addicted. Well, maybe the moon phase is right or I have a special incentive (I do ) but, I think this time, I am through for good.

I have been thinking of addiction alot lately. Nicotine is the only thing that I have ever been addicted to. I loved it even though it was sucking the life out of me. Nicotine made me tired, was ruining my complexion, gave me bronchitis twice a year, sore throats, I smelled bad, speaking of smell, I had no sense of smell left thanks to tobacco. I had no sense of taste left.

It is amazing to me all the changes that have occurred in my body over the past 3 days. I feel as if I am alive again.

If you smoke, I would like to suggest that you stop when you find it is no longer enjoyable but only a habit. Or, if you only occasionally smoke, do not be seduced by thinking that you could never become addicted because you can and nicotine is a jealous mistress. It is possible that you will spend all your time and money trying to maintain your relationship with her. I have seen nicotine addicts go without food just as long as they had their coffee and cigarettes.

Please think about this. I wish I had but I didn't. That was 20 years ago.

I am pleased to announce that I am an addict no more.

Love,

Robyn

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Congratulations Robyn! You've done one of the best things you can do for yourself. I know so many people who are desperate to quit and just can't do it. It takes a lot of strength. Kudos!

Silverleaf

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Good for you!!! I wish you much success in quitting.

Free

• outnfree
    outnfree

Me, too, I am a former slave to nicotine.

GOOD FOR YOU, ROBYN!

I remember going swimming with the kids about 2 weeks after I quit and how much less winded I was already! The health benefits accrue rapidly (not to mention taste and smell improving almost immediately). I recommend cold turkey quitting to everyone who has really, really made up his/her mind to quit.

out (of the no more coughing as soon as I get up in the morning class)

• Englishman
    Englishman

When I packed it in, my hearbeat fell from 82 down to 69.

Englishman.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Congratulations, Robyn! I have no idea what that addiction is like. (My only addiction is to this discussion board, or maybe I should say it's my main habit aside from working, eating and sleeping.) I'm glad you took control and hope this serves as an inspiration to others to do the same!!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Thank you Silverleaf and Freefallin for your well wishes.

Yes, Outnfree, I agree. Cold turkey is the best way. No patches or tapering. When I tried using the patch, it just made me crave more nicotine. This time though, I did try Zyban/Wellbutrin. That combined with righteous indignation at having my life controlled by a white tobacco stick, gave me the ability to quit.

I invite others to do the same. Talk to your doctor. Have her give you a prescript for Wellbutrin. Your insurance will cover that instead of Zyban, although they are the same medication. I have never been able to understand why most insurance companies do not cover Zyban. It would save them money in the long run.

Robyn

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I have quit smoking and been thru military basic training. If I had to do one or the other over again, I would choose basic training. I'm convinced that quitting smoking is the most difficult thing a person can do, but the rewards make it worthwhile. Robdar you are seeing benefits after only three days and the longer you stay off of cigarettes the better you will feel. Wish there was some way we could help other than just offering encouragement.....

• Robdar
    Robdar

Gopher,

Thank you for your encouragement.

Eman,

I hope other smokers will pay attention to what you said. I have felt my heart rate slow also.

Shutterbug,

Your encouragement means alot to me. Breaking the habit is one of the most difficult things to do.

I have some pagan leanings and when I first started studying different gods and goddesses, I was surprised at first, but not after I thought about it, to learn that tobacco is holy to Kali, the Hindu goddess of destruction: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/5229/kali/kali.html.

Edited by - robdar on 10 January 2003 8:30:41

• shera
    shera

Great,I quit smoking about 8 yrs ago now.Glad I did it and I'll never put one of those things to my mouth again.

I felt so much better when I quit too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit