Court seizes over one million Jehovah's Witnesses brochures brought into Russia

by StarTrekAngel 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie
    21 August 2015, 17:42

Court seizes over one million Jehovah's Witnesses brochures brought into Russia

St. Petersburg, August 21, Interfax - Northwestern transport prosecutors have curbed the dissemination of prohibited materials brought into Russia for the Jehovah's Witnesses organization.

Specifically, the Leningrad-Finland transport prosecutor has filed a lawsuit asking for the literature, which arrived at the Svetogorsk international automobile checkpoint in March 2015, to be recognized as extremist. The recipient of the literature is the Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia, the northwestern transport prosecutors' press service reported on Friday.

Over one million brochures were found in a road cargo vehicle during customs inspection. An expert evaluation of these materials showed that they contain indications of substantiation or justification of citizens' refusal to fulfill their civil duties and calls for hostility against people of a different religious affiliation.

To prevent the turnover of this literature, the court granted the prosecutor's request for the goods to be seized. An administrative violation case was opened against the carrier of the materials by Vyborg customs based on "failure to observe bans or restrictions on the import of goods into the customs territory of the Customs Union." An administrative inquiry is under way.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • GodZoo
    GodZoo
    Saintbertholdt
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Does that apply everywhere without restriction? Would you approve of an organised group coming and setting up a center right next to where you live, or enter into your home or the school of your children, or flood your country or community like swarming locusts to promote their ideas however bizarre, extreme and anti-social into your kids minds who will will then one day be taught and encouraged to shun you and then defend their right to do so? Really?

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    The Watchtower literature is rightly banned in Russia because of it's extremism and severe criticism of other religions. So I'm glad they took it,and hope they put it to good use in a incinerator. No Watchtower propaganda for distribution big deal let them cry religious persecution all they want their literature is rightly banned for the garbage it contains.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Brokeback: The Watchtower literature is rightly banned in Russia because of it's extremism and severe criticism of other religions. So I'm glad they took it,and hope they put it to good use in a incinerator. No Watchtower propaganda for distribution big deal let them cry religious persecution all they want their literature is rightly banned for the garbage it contains.

I agree.

In October 2000, several Russian experts presented their reports to a Russian court. The Russian experts had done a comprehensive examination of the Jehovah's Witness literature.

We, the undersigned, VP Belyanin, MM Gromyko, DA Leontiev, SA Nebolsin designated definition Golovinsky Intermunicipal Court on March 12, 1999 for a comprehensive examination of the case 2-452/99 (presentation Attorney of the Northern Administrative District of Moscow on the elimination and prohibition of a religious community of Jehovah's Witnesses), being aware of the court of criminal liability under Article 307 of the Criminal Code, were of this opinion, set out below on 16 sheets.

The submitted report can be found on this thread here:

Jehovahs Witness Ban Upheld

The reasons the literature is seen as unsuitable are for far more than just "because of it's extremism and severe criticism of other religions". The Russian experts did a detailed and extensive analysis of the text and concluded that it contained harmful material that had the potential to pyschologically damage those who read it.

The Russian expert conclusion:

In the literature and the documents of the witnesses Of [iegovy] are contained the signs: A) kindling the religious dissension in the form of the undermining of respect and formation of hostility for other religions, b) encroachment of such rights and freedoms of citizens as right to the life and the medical service and right to leisure, and also to the freedom to manage its time.

They also gave a detailed response to this question:

Are the texts of the organization of the witnesses Of [iegovy] the account, which usually is used in the religion.

And concluded:

the subjected to the study texts of the organization of the witnesses Of [iegovy] in a number of essential signs differ from the account, which usually is used in the [nesektanskom] religion (in the traditional religions).

The Russians have taken the examination of the JW literature seriously and have not banned it lightly. The Russian experts who analyzed the text came with these credentials:

[V].[P].[Belyanin], the doctor of philological sciences, the professor of the department of psycholinguistics HAZE, the professor of the center of international formation MGU [im]. [M].[V].[Lomonosova], the corresponding member of the academy of humanitarian studies, the academician of Moscow psychotherapeutic academy, the member of the international association of applied psycholinguistics, the member of the board of juridical psychologists;
    [M].[M].[Gromyko], the doctor of historical sciences, professor, the main scientific worker of the institute of ethnology and anthropology RAN [Russian Academy of Science]
    [D].[A].[Leontev], the doctor of psychological sciences, the docent of the department of psychology of MGU [im]. [M].[V].[Lomonosova], the substitute the chairman of the council of the Moscow department of Russian psychological society;
    [S].[A].[Nebolsin], the candidate of philological sciences, that manages by the sector of artistic interactions of the division of theory and methodology of history of literature and [iskusstvoznaniya], the chairman of scientific council for complex problem “Russia, the West and the east” of the institute of world literature RAN [Russian Academy of Science], the member of the administration of the union of the writers of Russia.

I think that Dr. Monica Applewhite would have been laughed out of a Russia court. They would have told her to go back to Kindergarten and get an education.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I wish it was more than a paltry million copies of their worthless trash full of bull shit. I hope it cost them more in fines or something.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Godzoo

Does that apply everywhere without restriction? Would you approve of an organised group coming and setting up a center right next to where you live, or enter into your home or the school of your children, or flood your country or community like swarming locusts to promote their ideas however bizarre, extreme and anti-social into your kids minds who will will then one day be taught and encouraged to shun you and then defend their right to do so? Really?

You are either a libertarian or you are not. You either believe in the market place of ideas or you do not. When it comes to Jehovah's Witnesses I believe they should have the right to knock on my door and offer me literature... why? Because one day its not the JW's but the ACLU knocking on my door about unlawful detainment. The JW idea will die out by itself because the ideas are bad. I still want to hear their ideas though to make my own choice. I do not need my government to make that choice for me.

Orphancrow:

I agree.
    In October 2000, several Russian experts presented their reports to a Russian court. The Russian experts had done a comprehensive examination of the Jehovah's Witness literature.

You REALLY don't want the state to decide which literature is appropriate for you or not.

Godzoo and Orphancrow, if you love freedom of speech you should reconsider your position.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Saint: ...if you love freedom of speech you should reconsider your position.

No, I don't think so.

My position is that I oppose institutions that take away the freedom of speech and the freedom of thought in the way that the Watchtower Society does.

I oppose institutions that masquerade as a religion when they are only a business.

I oppose deceit. The JW religion is the epitome of deceit.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    I oppose institutions that masquerade as a religion when they are only a business.

Well that is your opinion. And I defend your right to that opinion, but I disagree with it. By your definition you could include the Catholic church.

The JW religion is the epitome of deceit.

Scientology is much worse.

If governments start banning organizations that have an unpopular view, you end up with only the majority opinion that will be tolerated. For example: Iran and most other Islamic states. Russia is also cracking down on homosexuality and even Herbalife.

We should not be scared of ideas. Remember this is exactly how the Watchtower feels regarding sites like these. If they were in the majority this site would be offline.

I defend their right in spite of them but not because of them.

• Melchisedek
    Melchisedek
    I fully support these measures my government.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit