My 89-year old grandpa now attending meetings

by YellowLab 16 Replies latest jw friends

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

I never thought I'd see the day, but my 89-year old grandpa is now attending meetings. A real life story I wanted to share with you all.

He's been married 62 years to my grandma, who's been a JW since the mid-1950s. My grandpa's from the old school, a staunch Roman Catholic his entire life. Probably could count on one hand how many times he's ever missed Sunday mass. Gave money to the church every single month for years. Even on his mother's deathbed, she commanded him to "be good and go to church", and he's kept this promise ever since. Up until my grandma became involved with the JWs in the 1950s, their family was raised Catholic and had attended Catholic schools. My mother used to tell me stories how my grandpa would dress up as Santa Claus and bring gifts on Christmas morning. He ran a TV & radio repair shop and smoked like a chimney. As my grandma continued studying and attending meetings, my grandpa would vehemently denounce their teachings and give my grandma hell. Often I was told he would steal Watchtowers, Awakes, books, and tear them up and throw them in the trash. Eventually their kids became JWs (my mother being one of them), which angered my grandpa even further. Despite their religious differences my grandpa continued to remain faithful to my grandma throughout the years, although discussing anything JW-related around him would always make him get up and leave the room.

My grandma is 82 now. She's still as strong as ever as a JW. Religion aside, she's the kind of grandma that I wish everyone could have -- thoughtful, sincere, respectful and the most caring person you could ever know. About two ago her doctor changed the blood pressure medication she was taking. As has been the custom for many years, my grandparents always enjoy a martini (or two) every evening before dinner. Unbeknowst to her at the time, the alcohol had a reaction with her medication which caused her to pass out in her chair. When my grandpa tried to revive her, she would not respond. Shaken by what was happening, he called 911. The paramedics arrived and were able to revive her, although her blood pressure was 80/40. She was taken to the hospital where she eventually recovered and is now fine. As you can imagine this episode was terribly traumatic for my grandpa, with the thought of his wife passing before him.

A few weeks ago I got to talk to my grandma when she was visiting for a few days. She told me that about a month ago, my grandpa received his usual donation request for the church in the mail. My grandma had noticed that the envelope was sitting on the kitchen counter for several days. When she asked him about it, he instructed her to throw it all in the trash, and to do the same with anything else from the church. It turns out all the scandals in the Catholic Church were deeply troubling him. The following Sunday, he asked my grandma if his dress shirt was pressed as he wanted to attend the meeting at the hall. My grandma asked why he wanted to go to the hall. He then hugged her and said that he wanted to take some time to search out the JWs to see what they teach, and that he loved her so much and wanted to be there to support her. My jaw just about hit the floor when she told me that. Well it turns out he's attended a number of Sunday meetings and some ministry school/service meetings. It is very different to think that he is going to the hall!

In many ways I can understand my grandpa's position of wanting to be there for my grandma after years of not supporting her religious decisions. Perhaps it as an act of love now that he is up in years, or a search for answers given the crises of the Catholic Church. Even though I no longer believe the JWs, I still love and respect my grandpa regardless of his decisions. He's a great man and full of wisdom. As Jesus has said, we should continue to love one another. Sometimes that's all that matters.

YellowLab

Edited by - YellowLab on 7 January 2003 23:43:43

• Valis
    Valis

yellow, you present a hard case to argue. If indeed his conversion to JWland makes his life sweeter w/gran during his "last days of his system of things" then good for him. At least he lived his life the way he wanted and only changed for the love of a woman and not out of some cheesy guilt complex. I've met few old people who have the notion that they have to really do ANYTHING they don't want to. Time IS of the essence. Maybe that's where the prob lies for you and I and others. In your case I would assume you have not been treated badly because of WTBTS policy, but as you know in the middling of life some can't find anything other to do than trudge on, be dogmatic, and rest comfortably in delusion. This goes on ad infinitum...ick! Lucky are those that get to deal with people who somehow escaped those trappings by virtue of age or time or circumstance or really being compassionate Christians. The next time you see him ask him what he thinks about celebrating Three King's Day instead of XMAS Dec 25...that should get him going good..the demons will be flying for sure..*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Flip
    Flip
    He's a great man and full of wisdom. As Jesus has said, we should continue to love one another. Sometimes that's all that matters.

Although gramps is past his prime as far as being a long-term publication consumer, if theres an inheritance involved, perhaps you could suggest the elders help him fill out the planned giving paper work -- better late than never.

Sometimes, love is all that matters, but actions speak louder than words. Love, unaccompanied by a signed check doesnt pay Pattersons bills.

• ugg
    ugg

they sound like just precious grandparents....do what ever it takes to make them happy at this stage....thinking of you...

• freeman
    freeman

Wow YellowLab it sounds like your grandparents have something truly wonderful together.

Normally I would suggest that you try and get your relatives up to speed on the JW pedophile scandal, which is significantly larger in scope and more insidious, then that of the Catholic Church.

However, considering their age, perhaps it would be best to let sleeping dogs lay. What good would it do to inform them as it could perhaps do them some emotional harm, even destroy their world?

Thank you for sharing such a heartwarming story.

Freeman

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    He then hugged her and said that he wanted to take some time to search out the JWs to see what they teach,

I wonder if it will break his heart even further when he discovers SilentLambs

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

Normally I would suggest that you try and get your relatives up to speed on the JW pedophile scandal, which is significantly larger in scope and more insidious, then that of the Catholic Church.

You are a fool if you truly believe this or wicked, one of the two.

Love, unaccompanied by a signed check doesnt pay Pattersons bills.

Your insinuations here are distasteful. You know very well that JWs are not after peoples money, but to teach them how to know Jehovah better and have a chance at salvation. You are so blinded that you will just parrot apostate stupidity about JWs trying to get into peoples pockets. Shame on you.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Sword of Jah,

Surely you jest, right? All the money the Society takes in, almost nothing going out in the way of Charity... The Catholic Church has over 1 BILLION members, yet the budget of the Vatican is just above 200 million. The Society with just over 6 million has a budget of almost 4 times that much, yet has no standing charities. They're after people's money. Russell took over the Rag to make a profit. Motive hasn't changed in 127 years.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Sword, why are you back?

• outnfree
    outnfree

Gee, YellowLab,

I think this is a tragically beautiful tale. Beautiful because of the obvious love your grandparents have for one another. Tragic, because I do think, as Elsewhere mentioned, that a man who clung so earnestly to Catholicism for years and years and has left because of dismay over the recent scandals, will be the same type of man who will be very sad to learn that JW's have the same sorts of problems and haven't handled them any better. He may wind up alone anyway (who says grandma WON'T pass first?) and disillusioned and with no faith at all. IMNSHO grandpa is better off being gently apprised of the silentlambs situation and then he can decide, with full understanding, whether or not the JWs are truly any 'cleaner' than the Roman Catholics and thus worthy of his membership. There is much that is beautiful in the Catholic faith and very little that is in the JW religion -- ALSO in my NSH opinion. JW's have no redeeming works of charity, either.

outnfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit