If You Weren't A Witness, What Would You Be Today?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Many of us are or were Witnesses because we were born into the religion. Others became Witnesses because they really thought it was the truth. So many wish that they never had a Jehovah's Witness come to their door or their parents' door. What do you think that you would have been if you were not first a JW? Since my parents were raised as Catholics, I probably would still be a Catholic today. The only difference is I probably would have been a Catholic in name only........What about you???

• freedom96
    freedom96

I don't think I would have gone to church much at all, and probably still would not. My personality is what it is regardless of how I grew up, so I feel that though I would not have gone to a church, I still would have the basic values that I have now.

Ultimately, I probably would pick some sort of non-denominational church to go to on occasion.

• GeddyLee
    GeddyLee

Um probably, rich, well adjusted, with a happy healthy family.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I would have been raised Lutheran, my family is Norwegian and think that Lutherans are the end all be all of religion. I, however, still would have left and probably become buddhist but studied all religions as well.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

I would NEVER have become a JW! from what I know now and what little I knew when I was a little boy, there's no-way I would have become a Witness! I "studied" when I was very young, back in the early 60's! I recall going to the book-study in 1963 with the "Babylon" book. However, when I was baptized (1973), things were a bit different! You were allowed to question the "organization," you were actually encouraged to do so (this might seem a bit strange for current-day Witnesses!). However, you were encouraged to ask questions (I'm speaking of the late 1960's)! It's different today! If you ask questions, you're cllassified as an apostate! How sad, considering where we were 30+ years ago!

Edited by - cyberguy on 7 January 2003 22:36:49

• aojumper
    aojumper

I don't know exactly where I would be but i probably would have been at least an Olympic quality Rider ( That's horse Rider, Showjumping to be exact). I look back on how I stunted myself, and the little or no help I had. Actually My father supported my riding and would have probably supported me all the way if he didn't have the borg mentality.

K

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

This is a scary question. I was 21 when I started studying and I have to say I looked my very best. Long hair, nice body, pretty smile. Months before I was to be baptized, a man in a black limo approached me while I was waiting for a bus. He told me that I was pretty and that he could set me up in Boston in a posh hotel where I would never want for anything again. All I would have to do would be to service businessmen when they came into town. So, I could have been a high-class hooker.

It was pretty disgusting for me to consider at the time. I was a zealous wannabe jw, so it was easy for me to say no to him. I was kind of a dreamer, believing that I could only have sex with men I loved. I look back now (after 30 years of being a jw, three shitty marriages and some very unhappy relationships) and think it may not have been so bad. At least I wouldn't be working two jobs today.

• minimus
    minimus

I wonder how many gifted individuals could have seen their true potential realized if they never had been Witnesses. We see what happens in the reverse. Actors, singers and artists that become JW's lose their ability to express their free speech. They become stifled and inhibited. Those Witnesses that did not follow the rigid rules of the Watchtower on these issues were castigated and looked down upon.............WINDCHASER, you are something else...

Edited by - minimus on 7 January 2003 23:16:9

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

If my mother had not been a JW I probably would have been allowed to select a religion of my choosing, and most likely would have become an Episcopalian. I also would have stayed in college and got my degree when I was in my twenties instead of my forties. Probably would have served in Vietnam instead of pioneering. Today, who knows? But things didn't turn out that way and it does no good to dwell on the past. Instead we should look to the future and what we hope to become.

Athanasius

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Uh, Minimus, were you asking what religion we would be today? Oops. Well, I was raised Methodist. I really had some nice nature moments with God as a child. I've kinda gone back to the God of my childhood. I don't need a bunch of words or people telling me how to worship him. It comes from my gut.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit