The Dalai Lama said it all!!!

by Zep 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

Sorry Waiting,

(Notice I can spell your name?) I was addressing ZEP and his/her claim that religion isn't the problem, just the "hands it falls into". I think I mentioned I can be somewhat circumscribed at times..

carmel

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Carmel:

I didn't know that you're being circumcised had anything to do with this thread

waiting

• Carmel
    Carmel

Waiting,

Was I sounding sexually frustrated?

carmel

• Zep
    Zep

Frenchy:The dalai Lama Quote......Simply put, it spoke to me....To me its the Golden rule rephrased.I read it in a book and it just seemed to say a lot at the time.
    As i see it, Religion seems to go 2 ways, you can either become overburdoned with rules and regulations and tradition or you can keep your eye on the bigger picture.

As to the point that i seem to be contradicting myself....well, i am i guess, but right theres an insight into how i'm thinking...I'm a walking contradiction.....on the one hand i'm very critical of the WT, i feel very cynical towards a lot of there stuff at times, but theres another side thats the opposite owing to the fact that i more or less bought into and took quite seriously the stuff they were pushin'.
    You know, When i did the bible study, i found i knew it all pretty much, i probably knew as much as the witness who i did the study with, thats the extent to how far my mind was into to it just to give you an indication.I read the books he gave me in 2 weeks and took it all in, he had to lend me his Insight book for a week or 2...Now i'm not like you of course, you were obviously in way way deeper to the whole deal!....But I'm sure you must at one stage been quite confused on religious issues and been very ambivalent on these things.What more can i say, i have many facets, conflicting opinions, conflicting emotions.....on the one hand i do look at the WT as rubbish, there are of course some good articles but on the whole i do see it as nonsense now...but other times other parts of me are not so sure.6 months ago my aproach was a little different, i'm still continuing my research however into it all but thats nearing its end i feel!
    Hell,I sway from being Atheist one day to agnostic another, to believing in god to not givin' a damn.
    Maybe i didn't explain myself too well since i write most stuff on the fly, with little proof reading ....maybe it still aint making sense to you now?, but it does to me!.Basically you caught me at a moment when i was in 2 minds!

• Zep
    Zep

Carmel: I'm wasn't sue what you were gettin at...Solid is the one who said that religion isn't the problem more so who's hands it falls into...I just more or less agreed with him/her.Either way, if your asking me Questions on religious issues, on who's got the right way? your asking the wrong person?...i have not got damn clue on anything, i'm just here havin'a rant thats about it, a bit of self expression..thinking aloud!.
    My thoughts, I think theres basically a bit of truth, a bit of worth in all religions, it justs depends on who you are!
    My favourite quote or recipe for life was made by an atheist however:

Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!

F Nietzsche

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Zep: You must have gotten in pretty deep in those two weeks. I believe I understand what you're saying now. I know what it is to be of 'two minds'on this. There is something there that is difficult to let go. The longer you are in it, the greater the difficulty.
    Thanks for your reply. If you ever truly find 'the truth' let me know, will you?

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Zep
    Zep

The truth???????I dont know if Christianity is right way or the wrong way.....but i think now, if people want to learn about Jesus and God, they should read the Bible and not someones opinion of it.I made that mistake and it coloured my thinking more than i expected! Big mistake that!Never read just one book is best advice when searching for "truth", thats how i think now!

• Dubby
    Dubby

Zep,

It's amazing how we can read one side of a story and start believing to the exclusion of everything else. Unfortunately, I was gullible. But now, like you, I've commited to read many different sides of the story.

"Enjoy God's creation, ride a dirt bike!"

• Carmel
    Carmel

I really need to apologize for my comments on this thread. It seems religion has become a source of humor for me and I seem always to resort to making light of what others are taking with complete seriousness. I realize that for most all of you whether still Witnesses or not, it has been and for many, is still a major element of your lives. I have been away from the effects of it all for long enough that I tend to see humor more than most.

I will try to refrain from my attempts at humorous comments in the future.

carmel

• waiting
    waiting

Dear Carmel,

Oh, please don't refrain from your humor. It's one of the things that lightens this group!

She believed in nothing; only her scepticism kept her from being an atheist.J. Sartre

God is everywhere, even though we can't see Him. He's the one who opens the doors at the supervmarket. George Anderson

I enjoy your humor - I don't understand it (I'm southern USA) - but it's comforting.....

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit