The Dalai Lama said it all!!!

by Zep 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Zep
    Zep

What attracted me to the WT....i read too many of their Magazines from 15-19 basically....it almost got me buying into their stuff, but then, just when i had just started getting into it all, i stopped and dropped it with the idea that i'd look into it later.
    I remember reading the Book of revelation at age 15 and wondering what it meant, all those dragons and horned beasts...then i got hold of some JW literature and there it was...it was all explained, nice and simple.All those prophecies about the end time seemed so good to a kid....i mean, i never really could understand their blood doctrine but you can over look that...After all, the truth is a powerful weapon, you can make people do anything when you have "the truth"...even murder!.
    Another thing attracted me to it.....They seemed not to be preaching that Bad people would burn in hell for all eternity, that there was no hell, that there was going to be a resurrection of the good and bad......yeah, seems pretty good, a caring religion eh!...everyone is going to be given ample chance to learn the truth and change. But things change, i started questioning as i got older...gave the bible study guy a hard time with all those questions, then we had an argument and i just cut it off....decided to look at it later.... but their stuff was always in the back of my mind.
    Well, later is NOW....6 months ago i wander into h20 rather casual like, couple that with the fact that i find out a friend has fallen in with JW's and i get sucked into studying up about it all.....its very interesting.Its amazing how much you chance your world view from age 19 to 27......Things are all different now, JW's look like nothing more than a high control totalitarian cult with some rather wacky world views and prophecies?????????? strange eh!
    I'm glad they never got their claws into me too deep and that i have no family ties with 'em....
    Yeah, the search for meaning and Truth is a funny thing eh.....JW's were once fine Chocolate to a kid like me, now their looking like just boiled lollies....go figure!
    It shakes your foundation just a little, who really does have the truth....maybe God doesn't exist and this is all their is....i've certainly have felt that recently, its like the feeling you get when standing on the edge of a cliff and look down....a feeling of vertigo for a brief second or 2.
    You know, in an age of Neutron bombs and Green House you wonder whats the point, who has the answers, whats the true religion??....I think the Dalai Lama said it best when he said:

"my religion, is very simple....Kindness"

Whoa, so there you have it, in the 20th century, in a system full of all sorts of crazy stuff there you have it in a nut shell!...makes you think eh! the whole of life reduced down to a few simple words! but then again what would the Dalai Lama know, hes just part of the Great harlot of false religion and i'm just being tricked by Satan?

• waiting
    waiting

Dear Zep,

What are "boiled lollies?"

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 22 June 2000 22:43:30

• Zep
    Zep

Australia expression...."from chocolate to boiled lollies".....from something great to something not so great.....A lollie, is a toffee, a Sweet!

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

zep - good post, however i feel christianity is just as simple as the Dl quote. christianity is great the problem is what's down with it when it gets into the wrong hands - it seems to me.

• waiting
    waiting

You Australians sure do talk funny. "From fine chocolates to boiled toffee"...... Somehow something got lost in the translation from Aussie to American.

I suppose Simon would say that neither are Engish. But he's British, no one understands them.

So you never were a card carrying JW? I've met a couple of nice persons on this board who were not - or left decades ago.

This is not meant to be argumentative - why do you hang out with us? Transitional JW's are a confused bunch, to say the least, (can this be shortened like you computer people do TSTL?).

Some of the posters keep encouraging JW's to leave and have a life, but if life's so free and good, why are you here?

I used to take Prozac for years, when I quit, the side effect of the "shelf life" of 3 months was terrible. Do people who have been in or acquainted with JW's have a shelf life they must wait out until it leaves their system?

I think so - maybe that's one reason we don't just jump off the cliff - we know what's in store when we hit bottom. Reality as opposed to the dream. As long as Prozac works - it's really quite comforting.

My son gave me a lapel pin which said: "I've had my Prozac today."

My favorite son is so sarcastic - he's in law school now.

Edited by - waiting on 22 June 2000 23:17:35

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

typo correction on my last post - christianity is great the problem is what's done with it when it gets into the wrong hands - it seems to me.

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

waiting - hi! seeing how i was the one that started this post i assume it's me you were asking these questions:

[*]Do people who have been in or acquainted with JW's have a shelf life they must wait out until it leaves their system?

for me it's seven years and still waiting. though there's stuff they took from me i'll never get back.

[*]"if life's so free and good, why are you here?"

life is as it is. as far as why i'm here - to be this voice i guess.

[*]"we know what's in store when we hit bottom. Reality as opposed to the dream."

i think you'd really need to define what you mean by dream to me, it's like saying blue - without a concrete example it means different things to different people. to my mind what can be dreamed or imagined is equally as real as what exists externally. Are you using Dream as a synonym for delusion? Waiting, i'm not trying to be Friend ( really Enemy ) here i sincerely want to know what you mean-SolidSender

• Zep
    Zep

zep - good post, however i feel christianity is just as simple as the Dl quote. christianity is great the problem is what's down with it when it gets into the wrong hands - it seems to me.

>>>yeah, i'd agree Solid....The spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law is whats important.
    One of the reasons i could never understand the blood doctrine of JW's was it just didn't seem to be in the spirit of what Jesus was all about....its just such a nit picking rule!!!!The problems with Christianity start when people become overburdoned with details and loose sight of the core truths....of the spirit of Christianity!!....they become robots!

• Zep
    Zep

Waiting:Do people who have been in or acquainted with JW's have a shelf life they must wait out until it leaves their system?

>>>Dont know....everyones different.Speaking personnally, i'm not screwed up by JW's at all really...i never got in as deep as you guys obviously, since i'm not a JW, but i brought into it more or less....I'm just shaking off the remnants of the thinking i had when i was a kid or resolving them at least, but i'm not screwed up by it at all and it doesn't dominate my life.I find it interesting actually.....Currently i'm waiting on "gentile times reconsidered" to be shipped over here and i'm looking forward to reading that!.But Basically, I'm just lookin into things and thats about it...thats all i can say!

People are just as screwed up outside KH as they are in.....thats the the Truth!

• BigQuestion
    BigQuestion

Zep if i had a choice i know which screwed up i'd prefer. What's the story with gentiles times reconsidered - is there an online copy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit