Talked to my dad Sunday morning

by pr_capone 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

To give you a little background info before I delve into my story. My step-dad and mom recently seperated, about a month ago now. My dad is taking this real hard because he really does love her and my mom seems to have gone off the deep end. She recently found out that she has cancer, for those of you familiar with the terms, she is at a C1. Basically it means she is pretty advanced. They are telling her that she has a 70% shot at making it another 5 years. Anyhow, upon learning this, she decides that she doesnt have alot of time left in this world so she seperates from my step-dad. 2 weeks later, the guy I have been taking guitar lessons from moves into the house.

Because of this dad is feeling pretty lonely. Because he tried to be a good witness he never really made friends with people at work or anywhere else. He is not the brightest of fellows when it comes to things of a scholarly nature but he does notice that things are not quite right in the troof. He decides to stop going to the meetings because of this. Now, because of his borg programming, he has not made any friends outside of those in the troof. (If you can call them friends)

Sunday morning I decided to pay him a visit at a his new house. As I am walking in I see him dressed up in a suit and tie. When I ask him what he is doing he tells me that he is going to the meeting. I ask him to sit down and we begin to talk. I asked him why he is going to the meeting. His reply was that he felt that things were not getting any better for him since he quit so he might as well go back. I pointed out that he stopped going for a reason and asked him what his reason was for stopping in the first place. He said that it was because of things he had seen such as business practices, hypocrasy and the such. I asked him to remember what it was like for me when I first decided to leave the troof. How the elders were soooo loving that they would whisper poison into my mothers ear which in turn caused her to disown me. By this time I had tears in my eyes, having to relive what I went through because of the WT. I asked him again why he would go back to a place that would encourage the destruction of a family as it did ours. His responce was that he was lonely.

At this point I was feeling quite bad for him as he is just now having to go through what so many of us have. The feeling that you are alone and noone really cares. I told him that there were soooo many people in the world today that are in the exact same position as he is right now. The same position I have been for the past year. I encouraged him to start making friends at work, especially one guy he works with that he gets along with real well. He happens to be an ex-dub himself. He felt better about everything and said that he knows that the troof is not right and was just looking for answers. He promised me that he and his ex-dub friend would go out fishing soon.

I just wanted to share with you all what happened. Thanks for taking the time to read all this. *hugs*

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Hope he feels better soon, and I hope your mum realises that this is the time she needs family most. Maybe she will give her time.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Pr - sounds as if your entire family is having quite the struggle. What a wonderful daughter (?) you are to be so considerate of your dad's feelings at this point. The advice you gave your father is good - hopefully he will be able to build some friendships and "reach out" to other people. The diagnosis of cancer can have profound effects on a person - perhaps your mother is just "shell-shocked" at this point, and may in the near future realize your father's love for her.

My heart goes out to all of you

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

LMAO @ Petty

Ummmmmm... son. I forgive ya though. Thanks!

• Cassandra Cain
    Cassandra Cain

*mega hugz* I'm sorry to hear about your mum, I think It was verry loving of you to go check up on your step dad and give him some council. I hope Jah gives you and him the strength to cope with the new situation. {{Hugz}}

~Cassandra~

And here are two Cookies ..one for you and one for you dad! ^_^

Edited by - Cassandra Cain on 6 January 2003 13:55:4

• detective
    detective

hey PR,
    sorry to hear about your mother. And your father, for that matter.

Heads up that I responded a bit late to another thread you started:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=43891&site=3

Split soles, skants, yehoodi... sound familiar?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

PR that is a really great thing you did reaching out to someone who is in pain and helping them reason things out. I'm sure it meant and will come to mean even more to your step-dad as time goes on.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mother's illness, I sure hope you make as much time as possible to spend with her and comfort her as well. The actions she took to distance herself from family sound deep-seeded and rather sad to me, I may be completely off track here but she also needs your help and support.

You sound like a very caring son and your parents should be proud of you.

Katie

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

pr - sorry Sir!!! Promise I won't make that mistake twice. And I hope both your step-dad & your mom realize how fortunate they are to have a son like you!

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

Hi there eric

yes your farther looks like he needs comfort in the small hours, lonlyness is a terrible thing he probably sees himself getting older & left all alone to face lifes cycle, which isnot prety.

YOUR MOTHER, Disowned you ,sorry about that ,i do know that in england they are actualy removing the diseased organ if it has been attacked by cancer,say for instance the kidney or the lung,erradicating it with some type of ray re/,placing the treated organ & patients are now recovering from cancer ,if it is caught in time check out my other p[osting on cancer.

keep your chin up ,try and write a letter to your mother & see if she has changed towards you ,as looking at a svere illness may have changed her mind.

Wish you well.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I think it's good that your dad has a friend at work who is an ex-jw too. He should be able to relate somehow to what your dad's going through. It is a lonely time when you first leave, especially when you've been a good dub and did not make any non-jw friends before your exit.

Sorry to hear about your parents' break-up. I hope things get sorted out for all of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit